Ask questions about Purdue here.

How is housing for transfer students (sophomore)? Is it guaranteed?

Which residence halls would be best for an engineering student? Also, which ones have the best social scene?

Cary actually looks pretty nice if you end up in one of the suites, but is there any way to make sure you get one of those as opposed to the other rooms? One more, is Hillenbrand open to Freshmen and if so do many freshmen stay there?

Most engineering degrees are ~ 130 credits to graduate. So most people take ~17 credit hours to graduate in 4 years. Minimum credits to be considered a full time student is ~12, maximum is 18 (I think. You can do more, but you need to pay more).

I do not know how freshmen get housing anymore. I believe they changed the system a year or two ago.

Girls are pretty everywhere. Seriously, don’t bother with that as a decision variable.

No idea. But if you really want to live in dorms, I’m sure there are empty rooms somewhere.

Any of them. A lot of engineering students do stay at Harrison and Earhart and Shreve though. Otherwise they’re mostly similar. I’ve heard Meredith is a lot more social.

Not as a freshman, no. I don’t know about Freshman, but I’m sure they’re all full now by upper classmen.

Need help
I have been accepted in Purdue and Uwash Seattle as pre engineering (desired major Comp Eng). Which should I go for- Purdue univ or Uwash? Plz advice me considering the factors such as quality of educ, research opp and job placement. Both have similar tuition fees so money is not an issue.

@executor was exactly in the same situation as you, few days back. Major -comp engineering.
I chose purdue…
(even i considered those factors ):stuck_out_tongue:

hey i am also from india…
Plus I have also been accepted at UMass. so purdue or Umass amherst?
@iliveinmumbai

I dont know anything about Umass…
I didn’t apply there…
Research about it… @executor
Btw, where in India are you from? :slight_smile:

Hey there. I just wanted to know whether it is possible to complete a bachelors in Mech Engg in 3 years along with summer internships.

It’s possible if you are smart. It’s not if you are not.

What kind of AP credits will you have?

Well I have a 2380 in SAT 2( M2:790, C:800, P:790) I’ll be taking up Calc BC and Physics C and will surely get a 5 in those. I don’t want to be suffocated/overburdened in an attempt to complete my bachelors in 3 years. I do want the weekends off and an hour or two a day.

Probably not, due to pre-requisites that are inherent in engineering education. But I’m not an ME student.

Does demonstrated Interest affect admissions at Purdue? And if so what are some good ways of demonstrating interest?

Also, If you are interested in Purdue Engineering does that have to be stated on the application and/or does that make admissions more competitive?

How hard is it to transfer into biomedical engineering after first year engineering at Purdue? What are the requirements and about how many people typically get in?

Which housing is the best in your opinion?

@clidethespy‌ Hillenbrand or third street suites

Almost impossible to get into Hillenbrand or 3rd street as a freshman. I don’t think you can even request them as an incoming freshman. That is what we were told when on our campus visit.

How common is it for freshman to get phys 172 first semester freshman year? Is the class usually too full? Do any freshman actually even try to take it?

@‌hita04
https://engineering.purdue.edu/ENE/Academics/FirstYear/T2M#program
There are approx. 80-90 open spots in BME every year.

3rd street is already full. First street is pretty great, but very pricey. Also, first street has tons of empty rooms.

My favorites are Shreve, Harrison, Mccutcheon, and Earhart.

I don’t know about how many freshman take 172 their first semester of freshman year (I never had to take it due to AP credits). I doubt there’d be too many issues.

I just checked and there are currently 680 open seats in the lecture classes. They might open more as more years are able to sign up for classes (class registration is still happening now, only seniors and juniors are registering I think).