Ask questions about SLO here

I’m currently a first year animal science student at Cal Poly SLO. I’m happy to answer major and non major related questions and just anything anyone is curious about, whether its location ,transportation, culture, student housing, class registration or admission.

MODERATOR’S NOTE: Anyone is free to ask or answer questions in this thread.

My daughter applied to SLO Animal Science as well. What other schools did you consider and why did you choose SLO?

With the quarter system how was the adjustment and how many units are you taking? What CAFES activities are you doing outside of the class room?

What was your csu gpa and SAT/ACT score? Were you a local applicant?

I considered UCSB, Davis, CPPomona, and Cal Poly. Cal Poly has the best hands on learning out of all of these, as well as having a huge variety of classes within the ASCI department, it allows lots of room to grow and explore different areas of an amazing field.

The quarter system is tough, and I came from a trimester high school, so it theoretically should have been easier for me than other students, but its fast. You have midterms starting week four and going until week nine and then suddenly its finals. But you get more opportunities to take cool classes, and theres 12 gpa averages going into your total gpa rather than 8, which allows one bad quarter to be better. I’m part of the Pre-Vet Club and work at a local vet clinic. I also have been working to get into the breeding and foaling enterprises at the equine unit. I took 14 units fall quarter, 16 units winter quarter, and 19 units spring.

SLO is in the short list for my daughter and the only CA school she is considering. She really doesn’t know what she wants to do and the problem I have as a parent is pigeonholing a student day one into a major. She just picked a major that sounded interesting. What if she doesn’t want to be in X major but has interest in Y major. Fortunately its not engineering, architecture or computer science.

But how hard is it to change your mind and thus major after a couple quarters or the first year? This one concern has me learning toward the OOS or pushing other CA schools where a major is more fluid and at some OOS schools, we can get it down to about UC costs. But she likes SLO’s campus, the people and the town. Most kids don’t have a set focus they maintain. Thanks in advance.

Does anyone have experience with DSS services at SLO? Just wondering if I’ll need a U-Haul for paperwork?

Is it possible for a student who is a Computer Engineering major to minor? How good is the English department (my son’s area of interest for a minor)?