Associate Degree or Bachelor's Degree...

Hi, so I applied to two community colleges nursing programs in my area. The way it works is if waitlisted at your “first choice” you are not accepted until they reach your number. For the second choice they have to exhaust their waitlist number then you are could be potentially picked.

I am a bit uncertain if Accelerated is the way to go for me. I tried an accelerated online math class once and was the worse experience ever had. Achieved D’s and F’s in the entire program.

My options are just apply to Associate program’s or Associate & Bachelor program’s.
If I apply to both Associate and Bachelor program’s have to take various prerequisites for various programs. So have to take Intro to Physics, College Algebra Pre Calc, Chem 1, Chem 2, Inorganic Chem, Lifespan & Development, Stats, and a few other classes. I would be applying to 4 to 5 program’s instead of 2.

However, if I stick with the ADN plan I am already done with prerequisites and regular classes for the program. I probably end up taking Lifespan and retake AP2. I would take Math again, but would wait until my application is in for the next class. They take your highest level Math class, which is an A. The Spring would probably take Stats and Spanish next Spring.

So far my grades are:
A - Intermediate Algebra
B - Intro to Chemistry
B- - AP1
C+ - AP2
73 on the TEAS

I would also probably take the TEAS again because I did decent on every section outside of Science. My weakest issue was the AP section since I took the TEAS with limited AP knowledge; think just finished AP1 when I took the TEAS.

I know a BSN is hot right now. My job is making nurses be registered in a BSN program by 2020. I would probably look into doing an RN to MSN online program if I did do the ADN route.

Appreciate any insight or feedback can give.

As you know, BSN provides the widest employment choices. However, there are still many hospitals that hire RNs with associates degrees. I suggest applying to both types of programs, with BSN as a first choice, and Associates as a backup plan.

You may wish to read other job ads in the area where you want to eventually live to see how many require a BSN.

For many people, an Associates degree makes a great deal of sense, particularly for financial reasons and if they need to work while attending school or raise kids, or if there is not a 4 year direct entry program nearby. These people then often count on their employer subsidizing the BSN later.

At the same time, the best aid is often offered to incoming students in a bachelors program. Transfers and second degree students often do not receive aid from the college, unless the college has an unusually good need-based aid program. Ideally, you would try to estimate the total cost of both options.

You might also check whether the associates degree program has any time of agreement with a 4 year college to finish a BSN. Most community colleges have matriculation agreements with many 4 year colleges to allow easy transfers, but nursing often is not part of those agreements.

The 2 BSN programs looking to apply to also have 2 RN to BSN programs. I would probably do an RN to MSN program.

I dropped Chem 1. I am taking Lifespan, Accelerated Elementary Spanish 1, and AP2 Hybrid class.

Might take in the Spring Stats. Then if need be retake Micro. Then maybe take Elm Spanish 2.

Debating if I should hold off taking Spanish till the Spring. If I did I take Stats, Elm 1 and 2 online.

In any case, try to determine which semesters will be the most demanding in terms of course workload, and try to lighten the load that semester. My daughter was able to take an online summer community college each summer while she worked fulltime. She then was able to use those credits and AP credits to lighten the credit load during the toughest semesters. Her BSN program required 128 credits, so a number of semesters had 17 credits otherwise.

If I did the ADN program I only have 8 classes to take. If I did the BSN program I would have an additional 5 classes to complete.