ASU DA Nursing - real life experience

I wanted to share my daughter’s ASU direct admit nursing program experience for anyone considering the program.

3.8 high school GPA
28 ACT
CA resident

Did not get into any CA DA schools (we knew it was a long shot) but got into several out of state. She liked ASU due to the DA program, Pac-12 sports, ability to join Greek life, the weather, etc. We liked the generous merit aide which brought it down to the CA in-state tuition cost.

She just graduated Summa Cum Laude with her BSN and passed her NCLEX. In fact, every classmate she knows who has taken the NCLEX so far, has passed on their first try.

Yes, the 3.5 gpa requirement is daunting but it is only for the first 2 years. And during those years you take math, English, etc. that help pad your grades.

Were the science classes hard, YES. Did she have to study more than she ever has in her life, YES. Do they work together to form study groups and leverage professors who are willing to help, YES. But the environment is so collaborative, in a DA program, the goal is to get everyone to succeed. They are not competing for the few coveted spots. And, when you are studying something you are interested in learning and you put to practical use in clinicals, the process is easier.

Daughter could not be happier with her college experience - did have time for those football and basketball games and was in a sorority all 4 years.

She now has her dream job working in AZ in the ED at a major hospital.

I would not rule out ASU based solely on the 2 year minimum GPA requirement, the education is top notch and based on all of our visits and her experience, it is fun, too.

11 Likes

Thank you for this! I have a high schooler who is currently interested in direct admit BSN programs, and we are very early in the information-gathering stage. Your post hits on a lot of her “wish list” criteria (college sports/spirit, warm weather, etc.). Quick question: Are ASU nursing majors on the main campus? When I google it looks like the nursing school is in downtown Phoenix?

Hi
Yes the nursing school is on the downtown campus. My daughter loved the smaller campus and nicer dorms for her first year. She was surrounded with nursing students and lives with her freshman year roommate and the one across the hall, today. Soph - Sr year she lived in Tempe and commuted to Phx and Mayo for classes. She had her car and she and her roommates commuted together when they could. I don’t think downtown is a negative especially since there are free shuttles to Tempe. She didn’t have a car year 1 and took the shuttle to sporting events and sorority meetings, etc.

1 Like

Thank you for this information, it’s very helpful! My daughter just received her acceptance to the same BSN program,similar stats, also from Ca. If you don’t mind my asking, with merit, what was your cost per year? We’re trying to gauge an approx amount but merit is always up in the air.

I think around $14K a year but can’t remember exactly. I do think the merit has decreased a bit since then. The net price calculator was very accurate for us and we got the financials from ASU shortly after acceptance. Great program.

If only! I hope to hear from them soon, that type of merit would be amazing but the calculator is giving me high numbers unfortunately. Thank-you again for the info, it was very helpful.

We are from California too and I would love to say that my daughter’s experience was the same at ASU Nursing but LollieW’s daughter’s experience seems more like the exception than the norm. As LollieW’s daughter was summa cum laude, she could accommodate all those extracurriculars, she’s obviously smart and if she’s an ER nurse, she is exceptionally smart. It’s a rigorous program and my daughter said that many people were struggling, especially in upper division classes, it was very busy. Nursing classes at any major university are not easy. But we too thought that ASU was supportive and wanted their students to succeed. The one downside is that the Phoenix location is a bummer. My daughter stayed in the nice dorm (Taylor Place) the first year, then moved to Tempe after because it’s more fun being in a college campus area than downtown Phoenix. Unfortunately, the dining hall food is mediocre but there are some fast food places next to Taylor Place and more in Tempe. Nursing students need cars for driving to the hospital in the second year and there are various hospitals, near and far. I wouldn’t say the DA program students are very collaborative—everyone is just trying to get by, it’s very busy. I do agree that the non-nursing classes are very doable, no trouble there. They do train the students well, most do pass the NCLEX nursing test on their first try.