ASU merit notification and GPA question

Apologize on reviving an old thread but hoping for some help and insight. My DC got admitted to ASU CS OOS end of August but has not received any merit aid notification yet. Is this bad news? Also, is the minimum 3.8 UW GPA requirement for Barrett an absolute must and do they consider rounded GPA, that is for example, would a 3.78 qualify? TIA

I believe you will get more responses with a new thread.

The merit question is something your student can ask the ASU AO but make sure the award isn’t somewhere in the portal already. I am not sure on the rounding for Barrett.

Have you run the ASU merit estimator? https://scholarships.asu.edu/estimator

Your student will also see applications to certain scholarships in the portal, so have them check that (general merit scholarships don’t require a separate app). https://scholarships.asu.edu/

It’s probably still too early to receive merit aid notification as the ASU merit aid calculator has traditionally been updated around the first of October, suggesting that merit rules do not get decided until the beginning of October.

Regarding the GPA requirement question, see this answer in the Barrett FAQ:

“There is no minimum GPA requirement for admission. The Barrett application is quite comprehensive, allowing many different facets of each individual to be considered. […] For high school seniors, the average unweighted high school GPA is 3.81. The Barrett admissions committee always considers GPAs in the context of the program of study in which they were earned. Applicants should take great care to articulate their educational background on the application. The numbers provided above are averages. A GPA or test score at or above the average is not a guarantee of admission, nor does a GPA or test score below the average necessarily preclude a student from receiving an admission offer.”

FAQs | Barrett, The Honors College | ASU

Good luck!

1 Like

Typically merit aid comes with the acceptance letter. Barrett is a separate consideration. Call admission office to clarify award amount and I am not sure communications for Barrett has gone out yet.

Thank you so much for the responses. There was no mention of merit aid in the acceptance letter.

I was told the online merit award calculator śhould be updated for fall 2023 admissions by late Oct or Nov. Presumably you should eventually get an offer for the same amount as the calculator shows.

https://scholarships.asu.edu/estimator

1 Like

Congratulations! We are OOS too and DD got admitted for CS. We haven’t received any merit info and surprisingly our FAFSA was submitted a week ago, but it is not showing as downloaded by ASU either. Are you able to see if they got your FAFSA (if you submitted one)?

Thanks

Has anyone heard of what the max merit amount ASU has provided in the past?

Depends on the year. Last year ASU significantly reduced its merit aid. The best is $15,500/year. That is not what it used to be. It was nice that it was changed after many students had already applied based upon previous merit aid last year.

1 Like

Just giving an update for those looking for Merit awards. DS just got a merit award letter from ASU today for the Out of State President’s award for $15,500 per year. He was accepted to Fulton Engineering with CS intended back in early September. This definitely moved ASU up the list as it matches are instate Virginia costs. FYI.

2 Likes

Same for my daughter, except she hasn’t received a letter. She was accepted in August and there was no mention of merit anywhere until we logged into her portal yesterday and saw it there.

3 Likes

Yes, look likes Merit letters were mailed out and she received hers yesterday. My daughter received 12K per year. At least max merit didn’t go down this year. Congrats to those that have heard so far.

1 Like

Daughter got a letter in snail mail yesterday. She was accepted to the Education school back in August for Elementary Education. She also got the $15.5k nonresident President’s Award (the letter was dated October 17th). Very exciting for her. Good luck to all still waiting.

1 Like

DS accepted 8/16 OOS (School of Journalism). Received snail mail letter a few days ago, NAUS Scholarship ($9356/yr).

2 Likes

Can anyone share any intel on engineering scholarship potential? This seems to be a separate application with 5 plus essays. Will this scholarship be awarded independent of what was awarded so far?

Son received postal mail last week awarding President’s scholarship of 15.5K per year. Same amount as last year’s, based on the calculator. Accepted into Computer Systems Engineering a few months ago.

3 Likes

Cool… my son got his acceptance yesterday to Fulton (mechanical engineering)(applied Oct 30), we’re also from Virginia. He did ED to Virginia Tech, but if he doesn’t get in there (which is probably 50/50), then ASU or MSU with their merit scholarships are about as cost competitive as VCU and Mason (his Virginia safeties)

2 Likes

Yes, ED to VA Tech too, but from our area it’s about a 25% chance of admittance to Engineering- competing with too many high stats kids and TJ to boot! :woman_shrugging: ASU with scholarship money is a great option.

1 Like

Yep… son is technically above the 50th percentile for tech engineering for scores and gpa overall, but under the 50th percentile when compared to kids from Northern Virginia.

My sister in law works in ASU’s engineering school, and most of my wife’s family lives in Phoenix, so Fulton with scholarship money is definitely a great option.