ASU Nursing program info?

Any feedback on the ASU direct entry to BSN program would be appreciated.

Website claims all that is needed is a 3.3 GPA and 24 ACT but that seems really low since nursing is competitive across the nation. Maybe they accept a lot of students? Apparently, if students don’t keep a 3.5 GPA in the first two years, they are dropped. IN CA, need a 4.1 GPA for SDSU.

ASU is rolling admissions. Is it too late to apply now for fall? Nursing dept. or admissions could not answer that question.
Are the nursing students who stay on the Tempe campus (first 2 years) younger in age? Would you recommend staying on the Tempe campus?
How is living downtown?
How are the dorms?
How is the dining hall?
Would like to return to Northern CA to work. Any advice? What is the ASU nursing program reputation?
Where is the hospital that students attend in comparison to downtown? Is it far?
Are the classes the same classes that pre-med students attend? Is it equally rigorous as pre-med classes or “nursing” classes?
Are merit scholarships available?
Pros and cons of ASU nursing direct entry program?
How does ASU’s nursing program compare to U of AZ’s besides that UA is not direct entry?
ASU claims 97% pass the NCLEX but someone mentioned something about the data being skewed by colleges.
My daughter has a kind and caring personality. Does this even matter? They are only looking at GPA and standardized tests. We are open to looking at other nursing direct entry programs too.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

HI,
I answered you in the ASU thread but thought I would post it here to, incase it helps anyone else.

I will try and help based on my research. My daughter has been accepted to ASU nursing for Fall 2019 and it is one of her top choices. I am not sure the criteria for acceptance but my daughter got in with a 27 ACT and 3.8GPA (lots of APs, volunteering, hospital hours, etc… ) and yes they do need to keep gpa at 3.5 to stay in program. We are from CA as well and she plans to return to CA after graduation. She received a very nice merit scholarship which makes attending ASU the same as SDSU, a school she would have loved to go to except for the very low acceptance rate for the nursing program. If your daughter is interested I would suggest she apply, as the decision for us came quickly. We visited the downtown campus and it is very nice, dorm rooms are newer, dining hall is small but lots of places to eat near campus. There is a ton of security on campus since the campus is right downtown. The program does have a good reputation and good facilities. The beauty of direct admit is once you are in, you are in and the program is very collaborative. Students aren’t competing against each other for the few coveted upper division spots, they work together so they all progress to the upper division classes together. My daughter loves the school spirit of ASU, she can attend school sporting events and join a sorority but at the end of the day will be on the downtown campus which is filled with dedicated nursing, journalism, law, and upper division students that are serious about their studies. I have emailed the administration several questions and they have been super responsive. They have given us names of students enrolled in nursing so we can ask questions about classes, dorms, etc. and they have been GREAT! My daughter has also applied/been admitted to other schools but my hope is she will choose ASU! I think it is a great fit for her.

My son was also admitted to ASU he has a 3.9 gpa and scored 24 on act. We are from California and unfortunately he didn’t get into SDSU He also got into creighton and is on waitlist for his number one choice TCU and Marquette. He still hasn’t decided but I’m glad to hear of others ideas of ASU. At first I was against ASU because I heard it’s a total party school and #1 school for std. but since he will be downtown I’m starting to see the better parts of it.

@hopefulfrogmom Thinking about ASU for my son as well but I’m extremely worried about the fact the students have to maintain a 3.5 GPA to stay in the program for the first two years. Does that concern you too?

@SAD1010 Another opinion here. When we researched ASU and saw the 3.5 requirement it did give us pause given the party reputation of ASU and all the distractions coupled with the hard classes in nursing. However when you see the downtown set up you can see that going to the games, fraternity/sorority events, and parties at Tempe would take a little effort as one has to take the shuttle or public transportation so it would not be in the kids’ face like if they lived at Tempe. Also, the camaraderie of the students downtown and study groups help keep them socially downtown a large majority of the time. Your son will have to be able to buckle down and say I have to study when he would rather go out but he can do it. Where else is he looking?

@readthetealeaves We live in PA so the small direct nursing programs are plentiful but he wants a typical college experience. He has 26 ACT and 3.65 UW GPA which will make it difficult to gain entry to UPitt, Temple and PSU. Maybe considering a PSU satellite campus like Altoona. The campus is small and only 40 minute drive to UP (main campus). The upside to that choice is the student only needs to maintain a 2.0 GPA. Udel might also be a possibility.

@SAD1010 A PSU satellite could work for both campus life and a doable academic requirement. How about Umass Lowell or other Umass campuses? It would give him the college experience with a little wiggle room as Umass Lowell only requires a 2.7 which given his high school grades he could easily do