ASU Pros/Cons

Hi guys, I was wondering about the pros and cons of ASU, I really want to apply but my mom said she won’t pay for it. She says I shouldn’t go there when I have so many options in my home state of California. I want to apply to ASU because it is a good school that in the recent past has performed incredibly well and it would be a viable safety school for me since I meet the automatic admission criteria. Not to mention they give OOS students a very good amount of merit aid. Can someone help me quell my mother’s fears about ASU?

Is her objection only that it is more expensive, or would she object even if it cost less than the colleges she approves of?

She thinks that there is nothing particularly special about it that would warrant me moving that far away and she is worried about it’s party school reputation

1 Like

I do plan on joining a fraternity wherever I go, so I don’t necessarily see her objection to this specific school.

1 Like

@CollegeFall2021 - I have had 2 sons go through ASU. Our decision was based on cost and likelihood of graduating in 4 years. The only thing cheaper in CA cheaper than ASU will be a CSU. But, CSU’s are impacted and can easily take 5 years for a BS/BA. UC’s are going to be more expensive for many, depending on your level of need based aid.

1 Like

ASU in the recent past has guaranteed that students will graduate in 4 years so long as the student adheres to the Major Map (declare major, then enroll in classes to ensure graduation in 4 years).

Lots of CA students at ASU because it is difficult to graduate in 4 years from a UC school. Depending on merit/other scholarships a student earns/qualifies for, price of OOS ASU vs. IS UC-school isn’t too big. If more than 4 years at UC school, then any UC savings is gone.

Our neighbor from TX is there as a freshman engineering student and is loving it. She is getting a great education, has great friends, and is enjoying her time there. We have had several interns from there and they have been of excellent quality. I know our neighbor got a great OOS scholarship and they are very happy with their choice and the cost.

1 Like

May I ask your thoughts about ASU? My son is about to commit and we live in CT. It’s far! We visited and he loved it. Did your kids love it?

@msk7777 - My sons that went to ASU did love it. We are from California. So, the weather wasn’t dramatically different. The culture at ASU was a great fit for both. One of my sons played in the Marching Band for 4 years and loved that too.

Distance is relative. PHX is a hub for Southwest and American. You are only a flight away in either direction.

Let me know if you have any further questions.

1 Like

Thank you so much!

Greek life - are there things to do it you don’t go Greek? He is undecided.

ASU has tons of clubs. My older son played on the Ultimate frisbee team. Neither son did the Greek thing. Is your son interested in Barrett? If so, Barrett can be a “smart” Greek life.

1 Like