ASU vs MSU

Hi! Child needs to make a decision between ASU at Tempe and MSU, applied undecided. We’re from the east coast so both will be far.

Any thoughts on either school would be welcomed. Does your child like it? Easy to make friends or cliquey? Academics? Food? Dorms?

Thank you in advance.

Are they doing the Honors program?

No. They aren’t

Do u like warm or cold ? For travel both are doable but ASU easier.

2 Likes

He says he doesn’t care about the weather. He looks at the ratings and sees that MSU is rated higher but I told him that it comes down to where he is happier. He is excited about the food options in AZ, In & Out, etc.

Join the Facebook parent page for both schools. You can learn a lot about both schools that way. What does your child want to study?

1 Like

Which MSU?

My vote is ASU because:

• it’s warmer and has a lot of high-performing students going for that tuition “discount”.

• Because of that, the population is varied and from everywhere!

• The food is pretty good. Check out the secret menu for In and Out. My DD loves animal style and the shakes!

I would have added that Southwest Airlines has it’s Phoenix hub there, but I think you want to book on another airline?

1 Like

The rankings between Mich St and ASU are meaningless. Both solid flagships, both strong in supply chain. Phoenix obviously more a growth area. And has a lot more yummy food than in n out. I’m sure E Lansing does too.

1 Like

Weather wins. East Lansing v. Phoenix. Sun = $

2 Likes

He is undecided right now, it can vary day to day. Probably something in the social sciences.

I’m on both pages but I was hoping to hear from students or parents on here. We’ve also read Niche.

1 Like

They are do big flagships - there is no inherent difference between an ASU (i’m an MBA alum), a Michigan State, a Rutgers, a West Virigina, an Okloahoma or Oregon, etc.

It doesn’t matter that ASU is #121, #77, or whatever the others are ranked. That’s great to sell a magazine. Do you think a company cares about any of that when they’re hiring?

Now both are strong in supply chain - but that’s business. ASU is strong in journalism. For social science, it won’t matter. If it’s politics, both are in state capitals.

In the end, has he visited either? Does one fit better or does one cost less? ASU has several campuses - will all his classes be on the main campus? Not sure how MSU is set up.

Honestly - what US News says shouldn’t matter.

I think ASU will draw more from OOS - but that doesn’t necessarily matter either. Both are huge size wise.

And guess what - many / most kids, even if they love their school, might have loved another choice too - it’s not like there’s just one ‘right’ school.

So he’ll probably be ok either way.

Best of luck.

1 Like

My son spent time at MSU doing an engineering program there. Of all the schools he visited he said they had the best food… Lol.

Both will have great outcomes. Look at the clubs /activities to see if somethings sets them apart. MSU campus is very laid back and very nice.

1 Like

I sent you a private message. :smiley:

1 Like

Love this reply, thank you! I really appreciate your thoughts.

He saw both campuses but ASU was in the summer during a dust storm in 117 heat so we’re going back in March.

Right now due to the weather, cost and his favorite fast food places, ASU is in the lead.

Thank you! He liked the food when he visited too! Lol

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.