At Selective Colleges, what percentage of black students would you say are AA?

<p>I'm just curious. </p>

<p>How much you say is AA, African, and Afro-Latino? (Domestic only)</p>

<p>How much would you say are Afro-Latino and African when talking about international students? </p>

<p>Would you say there's more AA girls than AA guys?
More AA girls than non AA guys?
Non-AA boys=AA boys? Etc</p>

<p>I like to dive in deep in statistics and analyze things. I'm a thinker.</p>

<p>On colleges websites, it's very broad. 7% black...45% white...11% international, etc. I would like to know White Girls vs. White Boys and Black Girls vs. Black Boys. What the Asian make up is? Mostly Chinese or Mostly Indian? I can see why colleges won't expose this stuff. So, what are your guesses? </p>

<p>I would say there's way more black girls that go to colleges in general than black guys (probably 75/25 female but when talking about selective colleges I would say 58/42 female) And a big chuck of black guys that go are African ( maybe about 40% African and 60% AA?). With Asians, I would say it's equal all around. With whites, I would say its a gender gap but not as big as it is for blacks ( probably 48/52 males when talking about selective but 60/40 females when talking about college in general). </p>

<p>I mainly want to know your guesses when talking about black students. That's why I posted in this forum. But I'm curious on your predictions when talking about other races too. It doesn't have to be at top colleges either, but most international students apply at those colleges ( for obvious reasons) and I want to include them. There's no articles on this, and I think it's important to talk about when talking about social equality. </p>

<p>most top universities( havard, yale, princeton, mit, etc.) are between 7% and 10% african american. i was watching something on tv and it said that alot of blacks at selective schools are african, and not african american. i would think that there are more AA female then males at top schools. </p>

<p>@dartmouthgirl15 yeah, I just read an article that 66% of degrees by blacks were female and with whites it’s 55/45 female. I was off by 9 and 5 percentage points respectively, but that was in 2009. </p>

<p>I know why there’s more black females. But I just wanna know why a big chunk of Africans are at selective colleges than AA. I have few a guesses.</p>

<p>bestillmyheart, you should read the book the triple package: how three unlikely traits explain the rise and fall of cultural groups in america by amy chua. the book is controversial, but it talks about how and why there are alot of africans and other groups like mormons, cubans, at selective institutions. </p>

<p>@darthmouthgirl15 I check it out. I probably won’t read it all because I have a hard time reading without my mind wondering. But I’m interested so I just might. </p>

<p>Amy Chua is controversial because she pinpoints cultural values that she theorizes lead to cultural/academic superiority over others.</p>

<p>Multiculturalism is an attempt to convince us that all cultures are created equal. So it’s the multiculturalists that are most offended and usually call her racist.</p>

<p>However, values are something anyone can choose to adopt. I don’t see a racist strand in the writing although there is a racial component to it but only to the extent that the races hold to differing values systems.</p>

<p>At one college I visited, they said that the African and African American kids wanted to split their student groups. The Africans felt that the African American students were more concerned with social activities than cultural and academic ones. African American students felt like the African’s were condescending toward them. These were the general remarks some African American students told us when we stopped and asked them (as my dad always does!) how they liked the school, the academics, etc. and what the relationships were like among black students.</p>

<p>We always ask about stuff like the numbers on visits, but learn a lot when just stopping and talking to different kids of all races (and faculty if we see them) as we roam around. My Dad pays a lot of attention also to whether blacks speak (just a nod of the head even) as we walk around and speak to them. Real interesting stuff to watch and see. </p>

<p>@hsgrad that doesn’t surprise me. </p>

<p>After attending a historically black university, I came to the conclusion that people are people. Race seems to matter so much less that we sometimes think.</p>

<p>Blacks would talk bad about one another, brawl with each other, steal girlfriends and boyfriends, steal money and stuff, disrespect, exclude, stereotype and demean one another. Whites do it all to each other and so do Hispanics, Asians and everyone else. We are probably too sensitive to the race issue most of the time because we all react so much more intensely when these things happen across racial lines.</p>

<p>I mention all the bad stuff but that is the minority. I loved the experience because for the first time in my life I saw a black valedictorian, class president, student leaders, etc. it made me believe that I could be like that too. Then I believed I could be those things in a diverse setting where we weren’t all of the same race. I could lead whites, Asians, etc just as much as anyone else could lead the group. It was a good lesson for someone from the hood.</p>

<p>@madaboutx I wish more people would believe that all races do the same thing. It depends on the race, but the reason why whites are quick to cry about somebody playing the race card is because they’re so use to getting away with racism. Blacks are sensitive because racism actually affects us. And it hurts blacks more knowing that not all blacks are in solidarity. When you have AAs telling Africans to go back to Africa ( what white people do) and Africans thinking that AAs just want to be lazy and not get stuff done (what white people think)—IDC what people think the 47% was directed toward pocs and I’m still kinda mad about that----it hurt the black cause. </p>

<p>"…but the reason why whites are quick to cry about somebody playing the race card is because they’re so use to getting away with racism."</p>

<p>However, reading the posts in many threads it is clear that many students are helping to fuel the perception, if not reality, of using the race card. I do not know their reasoning, and maybe they do not intend to, but the amount of posts of students who post less than stellar stats and then they add that “btw I am black” or “btw I am a URM” is telling. Why add that, if not playing a card of some sort? If students stop using racial identity to justify having lower stats, then it would be tougher for people to cry anything is wrong. Do not take my word for it, read the posts that are all over the place.</p>

<p>The reverse is true also of high scorers - read all the posts of asian kids who feel inadequate with 2290. I feel sorry for them because something made them feel that way. </p>

<p>Seriously, one cannot read all the posts on CC without reaching the conclusion that students clearly perceive a standards difference and they honestly write and react to those perceived differences.</p>

<p>What to do about it is another question. </p>

<p>@awcntdb</p>

<h1>1 I wasnt even talking about that. I was talking about life in general.</h1>

<h1>2 Are you white? If so, IDC what a white person have to say about anything dealing with race.</h1>

<h1>3 You probably think having forums called African-Americans/Hispanics Students is playing the race card.</h1>

<h1>4 Look at HS Graduation rates and SAT/ACT scores for Asians, Latinos, Whites, Blacks, and people of low income</h1>

<h1>5 Now, look at their College Graduation/ Dropout rates.</h1>

<h1>6 Look up the definition for redlining and gentrification</h1>

<h1>7 It’s Black History Month, learn black history</h1>

<h1>8 if you don’t wanna do steps 6&7, just read an article about why blacks are still at a disadvantage & why we still need Affirmative Action.</h1>

<h1>9 Do you know about the Micheal Dunn case?</h1>

<h1>10 Look at Arizona’s discriminatory laws against Latinos</h1>

<h1>11 Come back with your analysis as to why what you said was ignorant.</h1>

<p>^^ I am solely addressing the issue that is the focus of CC, which is college admissions. The one and only point I was making is that one cannot be mad at others for thinking that any type of card is being used, then turn around and advocate for a program that is prefaced on using a card. It is impossible to have it both ways. In solving some issues, one often has to deal with the good effects and bad effects of instituted policies. </p>

<p>Yes, I think it’s sad that people don’t think they’re good enough.
But the truth is blacks/Latinos have lower test scores than whites. (#4) And are held to a lower standard b/c the statistics are there. The statistics/studies show the poorer you are…the lower score. And since blacks and Hispanics are poorer than Asians and whites it’s there. (#6) The more privileged you are the higher your score, so a poor black would score lower than a poor white (#6 #7 #8). So of course an URM would use the “race card”. The truth is Asians have higher tests score than whites. And therefore are held to a higher standard. A poor Asian would score higher than a poor white. And therefore a poor Asian would score way higher than a poor black. (Yes, i think it’s sad that people dont think theyre good enough.) It’s not the same because colleges want to see an overcoming of adversity (#9 #10) and since whites have all the power socially, economically, and politically ( I know Obama is president but most power is in the congress/states and whites control that.) the only way they would overcome anything if they were poor( but again,poor blacks and Latinos have it worse).</p>

<p>Racism doesn’t work both ways. Discrimination/Bigotry/Prejudice? Yes, but not racism. </p>

<p>Watch:
Micheal Eric Dyson:
<a href=“Michael Eric Dyson Shares Why "Black People Can't Be Racist" Backstage At Don't Sleep! - YouTube”>Michael Eric Dyson Shares Why "Black People Can't Be Racist" Backstage At Don't Sleep! - YouTube;
Jane Elliot:
<a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube;
<a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube;

<p>(There way more videos/articles but I don’t wanna dig them up)</p>

<p>Summary? Racism is institutionalized. And since white people have most of the world power( #7 plus imperialism), you can equate the two. </p>

<p>Can anybody try to answer my first question though? </p>

<p>The answers to the first post can be found by googling the below:</p>

<p>"[College name] Common Data Set"</p>

<p>This will give a pdf for each college that has the exact breakdowns you want.</p>

<p>No, I want the numbers broken down even more. So I wanna know people guesses since the data isn’t there. I already googled the data set for a lot of colleges already. </p>

<p>This doesn’t answer the question but just to be clear.</p>

<p>There are many people that want to equate imperialism with whiteness. The idea certainly advances the political agendas of those in power who follow this train of thought.</p>

<p>However, this equation is a dangerous one for a couple reasons. One, you assign the guilt of all the negative effects of imperialism on all people of a particular race, billions of whom have never known imperialism in their lives. Two, all future generations of whites are guilty of imperialism so the white kid born in Kansas 50 years from now are as guilty as a 16th century imperialists. Three, by making all members of a particular race guilty, you actually absolve and exonerate that actual evil doers who used imperialism to plunder, pillage and rape. Thus, the plunderers, pillagers and rapists are never named, exposed or convicted of their crimes. Four, you blind yourself and all who follow this train of thinking to present day imperialism in all its forms. Why? Because whites are guilty of imperialism and non whites are its victims, you fail to see or choose to ignore the imperialist tendencies that reside in all men and women in positions of power all over the world. They can’t be imperialist because they don’t have enough money or might or means. </p>

<p>Imperialism is a set of actions not a race. When you describe those actions, you can see imperialism in China, North Korea and Iran to pick a few. The effort to destroy Christianity in North Africa and the Middle East or the work of Al quaeda are all imperialist in deed. The Nazis and the Saudi Arabians, etc all had this tendency as well.</p>

<p>I have applied to a host of selective colleges this year and I am sort of International African American student. Just thought I would chime in as you’re asking about specific/unusual racial/ethnic/nationality students. My father is African American and I am an American citizen. My mother is white Australian and I have grown up in Australia. If I get in I guess I will constitute a part of the more ambiguous racial groups you speak of</p>

<p>The original question skirts the issue. Fact is, you can’t generalize, not from one side, nor the other. There are many, many high performing kids in whatever category and no real need to boil this down to affirmative action as the reason for admits to select colleges. Focusing on stats difference assumes adcoms only care about stats. Likewise, focusing on the difference in life experiences suggests some kids have a built in reason not to strive. </p>

<p>OP, you said you like to think. You can benefit from also liking to google. Many of the studies you refer to are very narrow or make linear conclusions. Or were just initial intro research. For one of the more famous studies often quoted on CC as “proof,” the author himself said, hey, this is a narrow look, do not draw conclusions.</p>