Athletic Pre-Read/Early Read

Thank you, those thoughts are reassuring. I don’t think she has specifically addressed her grades this quarter with the coach, though the coach has all of her grades since 9th grade. D may have said she expects “similar” grades, if anything. The coach already has the school profile, thankfully! Trying to just support D while not sharing any of my stress about this process!

1 Like

Very normal for a parent to have some concerns. Fortunately your daughter is in a great position, and you’re correctly mindful of not adding to her stress. I wouldn’t give the grades any more thought.

If you’re doing a FA pre-read as well, gathering all those docs can be a nice distraction. Or focusing on plans b, c, d in the unlikely event plan a gets sidetracked (no reason to think that will happen, but it seems you’ve done everything there is to do there). Or summer vacation plans…

2 Likes

Thank you. Sport is track.

Once again, @politeperson has a good feel for what is likely going on. NCAA track coaches are still unpacking from their trip to Eugene. I will add that the there is still high school track going on, so it is too early to finalize any list of recruits based on performances.

At this point, the pre-reads just need to be finished in time to schedule the official visits. Distance coaches are in the process of finalizing the fall schedule for preseason training and XC meets. They can’t plan the fall official visits until these are settled, so pre-reads are not urgent. It’s not clear to me how many of the Ivy schools will be taking advantage of official visits in the junior year. I know at least one school that will, and one school that will not.

For my son, the pre-reads were very low key. Early on, coaches asked for scores, transcripts and school profile. My son was told something along the lines of “looks good” or “no problems” by the coach. I know there were official pre-reads, but the submission of transcripts and the results were not a memorable part of the journey.

If you are not full pay, the financial aid pre-reads are important. Keep in mind that many Ivy League schools will also consider other schools’ algorithms if you can show recruiting interest. I recall this took something like 3 emails from a coach, or evidence of a scheduled meeting with a coach in person. You can have your student-athlete pull some neutral language emails together while waiting. I think these were submitted after committing to visits.

3 Likes

Knowing the sport helps, thanks.

My experience with Ivy track pre-reads and process was exactly as @LurkerJoe describes. Very low key and almost no emphasis on the pre-read as a significant milestone. It’s treated more like an administrative box that needs to be checked prior to an OV.

It’s way too early to conclude there’s no interest. I know runners who had conversations over the summer, got invited sometime in late Sept to an OV in late Oct, offered support, submitted an app from the bus on the way home from the state XC meet, had a likely letter a few weeks later.

I’d keep the conversations going and if you haven’t contacted every Ivy school where you might have interest, I’d do that soon. If you’re able to and these schools are high on your list, I think an unofficial visit over the summer never hurts. It gives a chance for the coaches to meet the athlete, for the athlete to get a sense of the different campuses, etc. It can help narrow down where you want to use OVs also.

Keep in mind some of these coaches have been going non stop since January, what with indoor and outdoor nationals. And with the performances last weekend some of them might be coaching through the various national meets too.

So if your son’s performances are in the right range I’d keep at it. Cover the other bases, but don’t get discouraged if texts go unanswered for awhile.

I definitely wouldn’t be discouraged by what you’re seeing wrt nescac soccer here. Totally different process and timeline from Ivy track.

2 Likes

Question regarding submission of academic pre-read materials at highly selective NESCAC. The coach emailed my D (2023) the link today to submit the materials. The link asks for the usual materials (transcript, senior courses, test score and then the last item asks, “Any other supporting information you feel would benefit your application (extracurricular activities, jobs, other sports, volunteer work, etc.)” There is not the option to upload anything for this question, otherwise, we would upload her resume, which includes all this, so I’m wondering what the best format/most important things to include here are? Should we literally copy and past her resume info?
She has a job (lifeguard), a good amount of volunteer hours, other sports, captain experience, etc.

Can you just upload the resume pdf? Some coaches do ask for resumes as part of the pre-read.

There is no uploading option for that question- it says to write it.

1 Like

The resume info is probably valuable so I would include it in the submission. Perhaps also email the pdf to the coach?

Agreed. I’m thinking she’ll list out the items they asked about (volunteer, job, ECs, etc.) and then note that the coach has her resume for a complete list of awards, honors, leadereship, etc.

2 Likes

I’m also guessing, since it’s a Google Form and the question is one line, that there is a limit of what to include as well.

I wonder what transcript your high school will send when your d applies this fall. Some send a transcript that shows only a “end of year grade” which may be comprised of the semesters and any mid term and final exams. In which case, AO would not see any quarter grades. Sounds like your d will have A average for entire junior year.

1 Like

Yes, I thought of that. That is how the transcript works for her school. The only issue is, her NYS school doesn’t technically finish (due to 2 weeks of NYS Regents exams) until 6/24. So, she was going to submit her transcript through 1st semester of junior year, and then attach her 4th quarter grades, but now I think she’ll just wait for the whole transcript, even if it’s a little later, and then the 1 B from 4th quarter shouldn’t even be evident.

1 Like

One college coach has asked my S to provide - official transcript, senior year courses, test scores and school profile.

Two quick questions -

1. Who would provide the official transcript, senior year course & school profile?
  2. Who & how are these artifacts delivered to the coach? By school directly or by my S thru email?

We know Test Scores & senior year courses but do they accept these in a simple email?

If the coach asked your S to provide it, then I would have your son email the coach his transcripts and school profile (he can ask his guidance counselor for them) and have your S just type up a listing of his senior year courses. If it is not clear from the coach how/when he wants the info then suggest that your S ask the coach in what format they would like the material submitted. In our case, D’s guidance office is able to give us the transcript and school profile, and we are writing up the rest. Most schools appear pretty informal (just email the requested info to the coach), and one was requested via Google Form.

Thank you. Very helpful. S is very hesitant to ask clarifying questions. He thinks this is recruiting 101.

Is the summary below accurate?

1. S attaches the 2 files (official transcript & school profile received from guidance counselor most likely in pdf format)
  2. S types in his test scores & senior year courses in the email body
  3. Sends the email to the coach.
2 Likes

I totally get about our kids being hesitant to ask clarifying questions. If the coach basically just said, “Send me…” then the process you outline is correct. I strongly suggested that my D ask one of the coaches a clarifying question about how she should submit her senior courses and the coach said either typed in body of email or typed in a word document; either was fine. Good luck!

1 Like

Ok, now I am feeling paranoid; please indulge me. As I mentioned, coach sent link to Google form today, as she said she would. Both D and I were thinking it goes to AO. Some of the questions were vague, despite D having a call with her last week, so D sent an email this afternoon with some clarifying questions. Now, it just dawned on me, some of those questions might be foolish, because the Google form was probably going to/generated by the COACH, and not the AO. Ugh!! D just really doesn’t to screw this up (it’s her top choie), and neither do we- the process is much more cut and dry at the other schools (just email info to coach). Could the questions D emailed coach today seem foolish, like D doesn’t know what she’s doing and like she shouldn’t have to clarify again?

It’s highly likely the requested info goes to the coach. Typically recruits have no contact with AOs during academic pre-read process. I doubt the coach thinks anything of naive questions, they know recruits don’t have a full understanding of the process/details.

2 Likes

I don’t know what we were thinking. Wondering if (when coach responds) D should say thanks, this process is a little different than my other pre-reads, so I wasn’t sure. Ugh.