Atlanta airport question

<p>My D is now able to take an earlier flight home for Thanksgiving. The flight has a 2 hour layover in Atlanta and she would have to switch planes. The airline is Delta. My D has never flown alone before, and my neighbor mentioned Atlanta might be too crazy for her to figure out her 1st time flying alone. I know this is probably a silly question to most of you, but have any of you flown out of Atlanta and can tell me if the airport is easy to navigate?</p>

<p>I think with a 2 hour layover, she should be fine. Since Atlanta is Delta’s hub, there are a lot of Delta gates. She most likely will need to change terminals via the subway connectors. When she gets off her flight from BHM, she will check the information screens for her next flight and see what terminal she needs. If she’s lucky, it will be in the same terminal, but otherwise just follow the crowd to the subway. Or ask a gate attendant. My DD and I have each done this solo, and we are both directionally challenged. Good luck to her!</p>

<p>If you have to change terminals in Atlanta do you have to go thru security again? If the answer is yes, then I be a little nervous. Atlanta security is known for long lines. They do move quickly, but depending on how far the other terminal was and if you had to clear security again would be a determining factor.</p>

<p>Atlanta airport does have good signage and she will be able to find her way pretty easily. We found employee’s in the airport to be friendly and helpful when asked for directions, etc.</p>

<p>^You don’t have to go through security a second time just because you change terminals. The transportation system is all contained within the “secure” area. 2 hours is plenty of time for her to be able to change terminals. Everything is well marked and the train’s overhead speaker system will announce as it approaches each terminal. She’ll be fine.</p>

<p>When my daughter flew alone for the first time, she went the airport’s webpage and viewed the terminal maps. It helped her confidence to have a feel for the layout before arriving.</p>

<p>I agree she will be fine and nothing like having to do it by yourself. It is good practice for other trips or study abroad! I will say Tuesday or Thursday will be better, Wednesday will be crazy crowded but people will be nice</p>

<p>I live in Atlanta and have used the airport a lot. It is not difficult and the Delta agents are usually very helpful. You can check on the Delta website a day or two before the flights to get the terminal/gate information for the flights. She will need to double check it when she lands, but it might give her a heads up. She will not have to go through security. YOu can easily change terminal buildings within 2 hours (and you never have to go outside, everything including the trains between terminals are inside). Also, tell her if she is going to get a snack or drink between flights, wait until she get to the gate for he next leg, there are plenty of spots near all gates.</p>

<p>Two hours in Atlanta is more than enough time to make ones connecting flight. Basically, anything over an hour is good as while busy, the airport is very easy to navigate.</p>

<p>Especially with the BHM-ATL flights (17-45 minutes in the air), the arrival gates often change. I’d sign her up for flight text alerts once it is a month prior to departure.</p>

<p>In reality, two hours is enough time to get over to the new Terminal F and eat at the Varsity (get a frosted orange shake), though there is supposed to be a location opening up in terminal C.</p>

<p>Well, it turns out that D can now leave on Monday since 2 of her classes were cancelled! Do you think a 53 minute layover in Atlanta is doable? The airline is Delta. She could also fly home US Airways, but I thought I read a thread on here once that US Airways should be avoided because they are unreliable.</p>

<p>53 minutes should be enough time. Just tell her to get to her next gate before stopping for a drink or anything else…As soon as she get off the plane, she can ask the gate agent where the gate is for her next flight and there are plenty of displays showing flights & gate info in each of the terminals.</p>

<p>This might not need to be said, but make sure she wears comfortable shoes she can run in. </p>

<p>Been there, done that. :)</p>

<p>US Airways is generally reliable, but as weather conditions can affect any airline, those airlines with hubs in areas experiencing weather delays will be more affected by adverse weather conditions that are happening in those parts of the country. I’ve been delayed due to a March snowstorm in Dallas and almost delayed due to a January storm that closed the Atlanta airport for a couple of days.</p>

<p>I regularly do 53 minute connections in Atlanta. I’ve even made a 25-30 minute connection, but don’t recommend the latter. Keep track of later Delta flights to that airport and ones nearby to minimize any potential delays in arrival. I bring a passport when flying home to Seattle, WA so that in case of flight delays, I am able to fly into Vancouver, BC and take a bus to Seattle.</p>