ATM on campus

<p>Which banks have ATM on campus?</p>

<p>Thank you for your help</p>

<p>I was very interested in this since our bank does not operate in Alabama.</p>

<p>Many ATMs in the Ferg and on the Strip. We choose Wells Fargo since they have a presence in Texas too, but others include Compass and Regions along with the Alabama Credit Union.</p>

<p>Wells Fargo has a very nice College Plan with a book explaining finances and no fees. DD got a Grill Kit when she joined which she cleverly wrapped and presented to her Dad for a Father’s Day gift.</p>

<p>As we say in our family, she’s a “smartacal” all right! Lol</p>

<p>While at BB we checked around. D will keep her accout here at our local bank so that we can go online and transfer $ instantly. The Alabama Credit Union had the lowest ATM fees. Some of the banks surrounding the campus had much higher fees. It was $2 at ACU, want to say Regions was $4. I know some of the banks were $4 for non customers.</p>

<p>If your eligible for USAA they are are one of the best banks around, reimburse up to $20 in ATM fees a month. If ATM fees were an issue we would have D get cash back at Publix when she buys her snacks.</p>

<p>BB&T has an ATM in the Ferg and a large branch not too far from campus if you need a human to help. I really like those guys, and I appreciated their deny-don’t-overdraft protection against overdraft fees and “gotcha” expenses. </p>

<p>We chose Alabama Credit Union because they have both an ATM and a full service branch office in the Ferg. (They also have a deny-don’t-overdraft account setting.) It seemed prudent to have a brick-and-mortar bank since my kiddo has aunts and uncles who still occasionally send checks in their greeting cards, and although he’s physically and intellectually capable of making an ATM deposit, I’ve never seen him do it. </p>

<p>$25 minimum to open the account, plus a buck for something I forget what. DS got his card in the mail yesterday.</p>

<p>We are having DD keep her main accounts (MMF, savings, student debit card) at our home credit union. We have been members for 28 years and get great personal service and easy access to credit if it is needed.</p>

<p>We also opened a checking and savings account at Alabama Credit Union. Each semester, we will transfer the budgeted amount to these accounts, and can make easy transfers during the year as needed from home accounts. DD only has to manage her "local’ accounts during the school year, and has access to her “home” debit card, credit card and backup balances should it be necessary. It also makes her have to think before taking more out of her long term savings.</p>

<p>I am joint owner on all of her accounts so that I can transfer funds back and forth and between her accounts and my accounts.</p>

<p>Unless you burn through a lot of cash, you don’t really need to have a local bank w/ an ATM. You can get cash back from purchases you make at SUPE or Publix or other retailers. My S has a debit card from an OOS bank and never saw the need to use an ATM nor a checking account.</p>

<p>We did the same as MereMom. We moved only a portion of his home account into the new Alabama Credit Union account, and DS is leaving his home debit card – well – home. His hard-earned home savings is for major expenses – study abroad, club winter and spring break trips, that sort of thing. </p>

<p>At least that’s our going-in plan.</p>

<p>Most credit unions are members of a network called the CO-OP network. Members can use any ATM of other member credit unions to make withdrawals or deposits (if available) with no surcharges. The ATM network is about 30,000. Bank of America’s network by comparison is 16,200. </p>

<p>Also members can go to any branch location across the country and make withdrawals and deposits just as they would at their primary credit union. There are about 5,000 full service branches.</p>

<p>[About</a> CO-OP » CO-OP Network](<a href=“http://www.co-opnetwork.org/about-us/]About”>http://www.co-opnetwork.org/about-us/)</p>

<p>The closest co-op machines to campus include Alabama Credit Union, Publix, Kangaroo Express, and DCH (this machine takes deposits).</p>

<p>[Home</a> » CO-OP Network](<a href=“http://www.co-opnetwork.org/]Home”>http://www.co-opnetwork.org/)</p>

<p>Just to clarify, members can go to any participating branch to conduct transactions with their primary credit union account. </p>

<p>The locations can be found by searching and checking the “Include shared branches” option. </p>

<p>There are several in Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>I couldn’t find my credit union on the Co-Op site, but was able to verify with our CU that it participates. It was worth checking into. This information will make banking so much easier for DD (and me). </p>

<p>Thanks for sharing.</p>