Attending a college w/a 2+2 program and if not accepted, what are options?

<p>A friend is a sophomore attending a CA school with a very competitive 2+2 program. While she hasn't yet heard, she believes chances are slim that she'll get in due to number of apps plus her less than perfect GPA. She has already applied to other 2+2 programs as a transfer and is still waiting. The following are some of the options she's considering and I'm hoping you will have some suggestions:</p>

<ol>
<li><p>switch from pre-nursing to another major and finish at present school then apply to an accelerated program elsewhere. But what major? She definitely wants to pursue nursing. </p></li>
<li><p>she has considered taking a CNA course over the summer to help earn "points" for admissions. Also to be able to work while she's applying.</p></li>
<li><p>look in to private schools. She has only applied to public 2+2 programs for now.</p></li>
</ol>

<p>What are the pros/cons of a private school? Any info is appreciated! </p>

<p>It is probably a little late to apply to too many additional universities for admittance to nursing for next Fall. </p>

<p>Most private universities save most of their merit aid for incoming freshmen. You might find a private university that provides good need-based aid that might make it close in price to a public university.</p>

<p>One additional option is to transfer to a hospital based nursing program. There are still some available, at least in my state of PA. They often are not as difficult for admission, are often cheaper than private universities, and some take applications later than regular universities. Many now call themselves a health sciences college, and offer a bachelors degree in partnership with another college.</p>

<p>If she decides to do a later RN program, it would probably make sense to be a bio major. I’d look at the requirements of those programs, and not only complete their prerequisites but also as many of their other required classes as possible at the current college. </p>