Attending Tanglewood or Aspen (or elsewhere)

Wondering about what age to apply to festivals like Tanglewood, Aspen. DD will be 14 next summer, studies piano and violin. Assume for this discussion that she would get in. She is very mature and socializes easily with all ages. Would she feel out of place or lonely if she attended at that age?

Is it a good idea to attend the highest level camp possible during the 3-4 years before applying to music school? Or should I be more concerned with how she is going to fit in age-wise initially and then focus on Tanglewood (or equivalent) level festivals when she is older?

Alternatives that would be great experiences or a better fit? When I say ‘great experiences’ I mean musically not as much socially. She is looking for a summer study experience that is going to further her talent, skills. Fun is nice too but not the main goal.

Thank you if you have any thoughts to share!

Check the admission requirements. Tanglewood is for 18 and over high school grads: BSO | | Tanglewood. You could look at BUTI

Similarly, Aspen doesn’t provide housing for under 18. They used to be more welcoming to under 18 admissions than they appear now. Solo Piano | Aspen Music Festival And School

When “ours” went through this in the early 2000’s, several of the “elite” festivals (Music Academy of the West, Aspen) did allow and encourage under 18s, usually with the requirement of off campus housing with a parent. The under 18s that I knew generally fit in and had a good experience, but they were also the kids that went on to Curtis and Juilliard with full scholarships. Their musicianship was the level of the conservatory students attending. I knew violinists, not pianists.

In “our” cases, the kids followed primary teachers to a “major” place that had both an under 18 and college age program. Different dorms, different rules, other facilities and program the same. They went from freshman year to high school graduation. During college, on to fellowship programs, high level. By the time they were approaching college graduation, they were sick and tired of festivals. Didn’t attend any during graduate programs.

I did feel that the high school summer festivals were good, but noticed “diminishing returns” for college years. This was for our string players. They attended major conservatories, so I felt and they seemed to experience that the summer festivals were not terribly different from school year - different mix of students, some different conductors, maybe a different studio teacher (good and bad reactions there!). “Ours” encountered many of the same group of students no matter where they were - a summer festival from high school years or college years or school year conservatory colleagues.

Individual experiences will vary - our kids may not represent all. Wind player experiences would be quite different, I’m sure. Piano - I don’t know, we didn’t do those festivals.

Changing thoughts - Does Eastman still have a good high school summer piano program? At her age, if not following her current teacher, I would be looking for a great studio teacher - either for violin or piano - at a summer festival. Or, if chamber music is not a part of her current routine, perhaps look for a place strong in that. At 14, if you happen to pick a less than optimal festival, all is not lost. She can “make-up” any time she missed by an under-challenging program.

Yes, I meant BUTI which is commonly referred to as just ‘Tanglewood.’ Obviously she is not old enough for the other one.

I don’t know about Eastman. I have been looking at Brevard as an option. Curiously, they do not offer a specific violin program, only orchestra. Private study is included with that, but I don’t see a violin program as I do at other festivals and camps. Maybe they just call it orchestra but it’s really their string program? Actually, I did find mention of a violin program on their web site but the link to the program has either been removed or was never there to begin with. The link to the orchestra program is active. I was hoping to find a program where she could do several weeks of violin (with focus on chamber, not orchestra) and then several weeks of piano, all at the same place. Not sure if Brevard is the right fit for that. She could do that at BUTI, from what I’m reading.

Even with Brevard though
 I am wondering about her age. We are fine to travel with her as necessary wherever that may be. I just don’t want her to feel out of place. I don’t think she cares at all about her age as long as people are friendly and I can’t imagine why they wouldn’t be.

I hope this poster clarifies, but I would guess that BUTI is what they meant by “Tanglewood” for a high school student. The TMC (that’s the high level very auditioned and selective orchestral program) is for college age and up.

As noted
Aspen doesn’t provide lodging for student who are under a certain age
so you parents would be expected to do so, and accompany your kid. Is that possible. You say it is. But most students do not live with their parents at Aspen. Just saying.

It was “BUTI” when mine were of that age - apparently terms change!

https://www.bu.edu/cfa/tanglewood/

BUTI stands for Boston University Tanglewood Institute
and that’s exactly what it’s called now
and was in 2000 when my kid attended as well. No name change.

It’s a great program.

Ah - my confusion. Thumper, I thought your reference to “this poster” clarifying was meant for me. I thought you were indicating the current trend was to refer to the BUTI program as “Tanglewood” for the high schoolers. I hope I didn’t just introduce more confusion
 At least I am set now!

By the way, speaking of name changes, Music Academy of the West is apparently now “Music Academy”. We remain on their mailing lists!

OP - there is an Interlochen option for one week intensives - piano and violin (and other instruments). It looks like the same time for this year, so both wouldn’t work.

I am not impressed by Interlochen for the full summer program - queue the objections - and I respect anyone whose experience was positive, life-changing, and worth repeating. I know some kids have fine experiences, but for the more advanced violin students I have known at young, middle, or later ages, it was not a good fit. My observations. Obviously each kid is different, so if it worked for you - great!! If a string kid has little orchestral opportunity at home, could be a great fit. Winds (to me) are a different breed - no knowledge there of the Interlochen experience. Also, no knowledge of the piano program or faculty they bring in. Possibly worth a look for the OP??? (You’ve probably already considered this.)

The Interlochen campus is gorgeous and would certainly be age appropriate. My concern there would be that it might be too “age appropriate” for a mature student ready to take on more responsibility for their summer music development.

1 Like

I am hearing the same! There seems to be a lower bar to entry, amongst other things, and it generally just doesn’t seem to be what it used to be.

Aspen does have different arrangements this year for students under 18. There are students under 18 this summer. I counted 45 solo piano and 17 collaborative piano (not sure about the difference). 3 solo pianists stated ages under 18 - 14, 16, 17, and another one likely under 18.

1 Like

Brevard is an orchestra program. There is some chamber music and lessons, but the main focus is fundamentally orchestra, and that is what most of the time is spent on.

The BUTI violin workshop is a technique intensive. These can be great if that is what you are looking for. (Also check out Sounding Point Academy at Colburn for a great short all-ages violin program mostly oriented toward technique.) BUTI also has a short string quartet workshop. I’ve heard mixed things about it. I think your child would be fine to attend any of the BUTI programs at 14.

I expressed my feelings about Aspen in the other post – not a great choice for under age 18 unless you are going for a specific teacher. You aren’t even guaranteed a chamber group. I know at least one person who did participate there on piano plus a string instrument, but I am not sure if they would do it for someone under 18. You will definitely get a lot out of Aspen musically, mostly just from watching concerts, meeting people, and watching masterclasses, but it would not be a true camp experience. In my experience, the camp experience, which is like a taste of conservatory, is just as important as the musical training in terms of personal motivation, development, and growth.

I would highly suggest looking at the string chamber music programs that span both high school and college: Center Stage Strings, Encore (Ohio), Meadowmount, and Heifetz (best in senior division). Ascent may also be in this category, but it’s new so I don’t know. There you will have young, motivated students mixed with college and even graduate students. There are usually a wide range of ages and all these programs are high level, so you will find the right kinds of kids. At 14, she would also probably be fine in the high school only chamber music programs as well
some of these are really high level (Perlman, MMB, Chamber Music Northwest, Menlo). Of course these programs are strings only for the most part, but some of them are shorter and you could supplement with a few weeks elsewhere for piano. I think Menlo is the only one with both piano and strings.

2 Likes

Awesome answer, thank you very much!

I would add EMF at Greensboro, SC - good mix of college and high school students, orchestra and chamber opportunities.

1 Like

NC, of course, not SC :slight_smile: