Auburn University in-state tuition scenario/Need help

I’m new to this forum and need some assistance from anyone that may have dealt with this before.

I’m the father of a Sophomore at Auburn University that was admitted as an in-state student. However, during her freshman year, I lost my job in AL. Good news is that I bounced back fairly quickly but my new job is out-of-state that necessitated a relocation.

My daughter loves Auburn and we’re committed to her staying enrolled there but cannot seem to find any information about how AU treats this situation with tuition. All I can find leads me to think that once a student is admitted as a resident, they stay a resident unless they withdraw and later engage in re-enrollment efforts. She will maintain her AL driver license and has a 12 month lease on an apartment off campus.

Has anyone dealt with this scenario at Auburn or have any input? Many thanks

I emailed them - will find out.

But I’m confident she’ll maintain status:

Students determined to be eligible for resident tuition will maintain that eligibility upon re-enrollment within 12 months of their most recent enrollment, unless there is evidence that the student subsequently has abandoned resident status (e.g., registering to vote in another state). Students failing to re-enroll within 12 months must establish eligibility upon re-enrollment.

1 Like

Answer from the school - as I thought:

If the student as acquired their residency status without a stipulation they will not lose it if the parent moves.

1 Like

The most important thing is where did your student graduate from high school. If they graduated from a school in the state of Alabama, then it is clear they did not move to the state for the purpose of obtaining in-state tuition.

If your student graduated from a high school outside of the state, things become much more complicated.

That’s not the issue.

The issue is that dad is moving out.

Auburn states - per the note above - it’s not an issue. I had assumed so based on the wording I posted earlier - but the school has now confirmed it.

@AubieMom i think you may have misunderstood the original post. This student already has Alabama residency and has completed one year of college at Auburn. Their family is relocating OUT of Alabama and the parent wanted to know if the student maintained instate status for tuition purposes.

@tsbna44 contacted Auburn and asked this question. He says the student maintains their instate residency status even if the parent moves out of state.

To the OP…I’d call myself also, just to make myself feel better!

So you have it as a reference, here’s the actual email:

Sent: Tuesday, August 8, 2023 3:36 PM
To:
Subject: Re: Question on maintaining in-state tuition scholarship

[EXTERNAL E-MAIL]

If the student as acquired their residency status without a stipulation they will not lose it if the parent moves.

War Eagle!

Sarah-Callin Moat ‘16
Coordinator II/ VA Compliance
Residency Coordinator

Office of the Registrar/Veterans Resource Center
152 Langdon Hall Auburn University, AL 36849 334-844-2544
residency@auburn.edu