Austin College admissions info

Sharing some info that my D24 obtained the other day from an Austin College admissions officer. We’re going on a tour next month. Thought this info might be helpful to other folks who are considering this school in upcoming admissions cycles. My kiddo sent some questions to the admissions rep and this is what we received back:

• Are honors or AP classes considered when Austin College recalculates GPA?
    YES. When the GPA is realculated, they include courses in English, Math, Social Studies, Science, Languages, and Fine Arts. Weight is added for coursework taken through AP, IB, or Dual Credit programs.

• Does Austin College use the CSS profile or just FAFSA when calculating financial aid?
    Their financial aid office uses FAFSA, not CSS profile. They also said, “even after you receive your first financial aid award letter, you are welcome to and encouraged to call them with questions once you are at that point in the admission process.”

• Do you have recommendations on who to contact if I had additional questions on how to apply for the music/fine arts scholarships?
    “Austin College has a handful of additional institutional scholarships outside of our merit scholarships. Every year, the scholarships have a priority deadline of Feb. 1. Each application has different requirements which you’re free to look at this year’s applications to get a better idea of how to prepare for next year. When you begin applying for these scholarships (music included), you can reach out to the contact listed on the application. For now though, please ask me and I will answer your questions.”

• How does applying test optional work at Austin College? Do you require students to submit additional material or documentation, like a copy of an 11th grade English essay or something else?
    “For our application requirements, please reference https://austincollege.edu/admission/apply/freshman. This is our application page for Freshmen students. It has a nice break down of our required and supplemental materials. Austin College has been test optional since 2017 which is why SAT/ACT scores are under the supplemental materials section. What I love about our admission review process, is that it is a holistic review, so everything and anything you submit as part of your application is seen/read/considered by our admissions committee.”