Automatic Scholarships

<p>After I completed the application for admission I filled out the secondary scholarship application which was due by Dec 1st. I have a 25 ACT and a 3.95 GPA, does anyone know from prior experience how much (if any) scholarship money is typically awarded to people with those scores? I am an out of state student too so I am hoping they are generous.</p>

<p>[Out-of-State</a> Scholarships - Undergraduate Scholarships - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out_of_state.html]Out-of-State”>http://scholarships.ua.edu/types/out_of_state.html)</p>

<p>Out of state automatic scholarships require at least a 3.5 GPA and a 27 on the ACT. For non-automatic scholarships, there are many. Those notifications will be going out in the next two weeks, best of luck</p>

<p>@txdoula, I am also in the same predicament as archer113. I know you mentioned there are many non-automatic scholarships, but I was wondering if you could maybe list a few of the most common ones. Truly appreciate the help!</p>

<p>Big2013, my son is also in the same boat (ACT 30, GPA 3.3, Eagle Scout, Premed Club founder/president, etc…too bad we can’t combine his ACT with Archer’s GPA!). We are eagerly waiting to hear about the non-automatic scholarship awards. I’ve gone back and forth on being hopeful and pessimistic. Last week, I called and spoke with someone in the scholarship office who reminded me that in total UA gives out many non-automatic scholarships annually, but did not give a specific list. In the end, we’ll all know within the next couple of weeks as notices go out this month.</p>

<p>That said, it would be great to hear from any non-automatic scholarships families from previous years on the board, how they fared come decision time, anyone?</p>

<p>Archer, which state are you from?</p>

<p>When did you apply?</p>

<p>As you know, the scholarship app deadline was Dec 1st. It sounds like you applied recently. How much merit do you need? To be honest, I don’t think you can expect much because as you can see, with an ACT 27 only $1500 per year is awarded. As you can see, the awards are based largely on test scores. </p>

<p>What is your major? You might get a small dept award, but I don’t think you can expect a generous amount (depending on what you consider generous).</p>

<p>M2CK, I am curious, for those families who students have applied for scholarships, will they get an answer either way? If there is no offer, do they notify?</p>

<p>I am not sure, but there is a link on the Student Tab in MyBama page. It says that all the scholarship awards will be listed there in the next few weeks. I suspect that once people start announcing their scholarships, this page will be populated. I am sure M2CK can elaborate.</p>

<p>M2CK, I am curious, for those families who students have applied for scholarships, will they get an answer either way? If there is no offer, do they notify?</p>

<p>I don’t think that Bama sends out letters that say that you didn’t get any scholarships. Just doesn’t seem like Bama’s style. But, maybe I’m wrong about that. :/</p>

<p>I’m guessing that a person who doesn’t get a scholarship will know it when there are no letters and no scholarships show up on MyBama. </p>

<p>Others can comment, but I’m also guessing that if you submit FAFSA, then when you get your award pkg scholarships may also get listed to show how much of need was met.</p>

<p>My D received a letter yesterday about a scholarship through the College of Communications. We were not expecting it, so it was a nice surprise. :)</p>

<p>Congrats! does she have other scholarships?</p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>She will receive the Presidential scholarship as well.</p>

<p>@mom2kids, I am from Wisconsin and yes! I made absolutely sure that I submitted the scholarship app long before it was due. :slight_smile: I will most likely be majoring in biochemistry. When I say “generous” I am really hoping for an amount that will slightly ameliorate the costs of OOS tuition. Bama feels like the perfect fit for me so I’ve been praying. It’s great to know that we will be finding out in the next couple of weeks.</p>

<p>^^^Archer, hope you are financially able to attend Alabama. We need more Wisconsin kids here!! :)</p>

<p>Haha thanks! I hope so too :slight_smile: Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Busyperson1, can you tell us what the College of Comm gave your DD? My DD will be applying to the College of Communications this summer. Hoping to qualify for Presidential and an extra scholarship would be wonderful!</p>

<p>NC Mom, she received one of the J. Kelly Sisk Memorial Endowed Scholarships. She did not apply separately for this scholarship. Her dad and I were very excited to say the least. Even though tuition is paid, the cost of room and board is unbelievable. She is applying for scholarships everywhere to help cover these costs.</p>

<p>Busyperson1: Congratulations to your D!! You must be so proud. Roll Tide!!</p>

<p>Congrats to your DD busyperson1! What a great surprise!</p>

<p>I know that busyperson said that her daughter got a letter, but I was curious if it was a snail mail letter or an email. I went to mybama to the scholarship section and here is what is here now, which is a change from what was there last time I looked:</p>

<p>“Scholarship recipients for the 2013/2014 year will be notified in mid to late March of 2013.”</p>

<p>tjmom, it was snail mail. D’s mybama says the same as your D’s.</p>