Average GPA Transfer Student (FILM)- CSUF, CSULB, SDSU

Hi! I am a high school senior seriously considering community college and was wondering if anyone could tell me the average accepted transfer gpa’s for CSUF, CSULB, and SDSU. I am trying to figure out how competitive this would be and if it would be doable. Thanks in advance. PS I do know the require portfolios and have already done some work in the industry, thanks! Would be applying under:
CSUF- Cinema and Television Arts
CSULB- Film and Electronic Arts emphasis in Narrative Arts
SDSU- Television Film and New Media Production

@Gumbymom do you happen to know anything? I have looked and cant find the info anywhere! Thanks in advance

Here is overall campus information but not for specific majors.

https://www2.calstate.edu/attend/counselor-resources/Documents/transfer-2019-admission-impaction-chart.pdf

For CSULB, the minimum for the Film and Electronic Arts emphasis in Narrative Arts is a set of courses (with C or better in each) and a 2.75 GPA, but it is presumably competitive beyond that based both on grades and portfolio.
http://www.csulb.edu/admissions/fall-2020-transfer-major-specific-requirements-cota

SDSU requires a minimum of 3.00 GPA for the Television, Film and New Media (Production) major. Wording of the web page is not clear if admission is competitive beyond the listed minimum GPAs.
https://admissions.sdsu.edu/transfers/apply/gpa_requirements

For 2019 CSULB Film and Electronic Arts transfers, I found the average admitted GPA was 3.59.

https://data.ir.csulb.edu/t/IRA-Public/views/UndergraduateStudents/TransferAVGandSDofTransferGPA?%3Aembed=y&%3AshowAppBanner=false&%3AshowShareOptions=true&%3Adisplay_count=no&%3AshowVizHome=no&%3Amobile=true

For 2019 SDSU College of Fine Arts Transfers, (not Television and Media Production specifically) the average GPA was 3.33.
https://asir.sdsu.edu/admission-data/applications-interactive-visualization/

For 2019 CSUF Transfers, other than the average overall GPA of 3.30 I could not any specific data for the Cinema major.

@Gumbymom WOW thank you so much! That is extremely helpful.

@joooohnie I am a film major, cinema/ screenwriting and I applied to all 3 schools you mentioned for transfer of Fall 2020 semester. my transfer GPA is 3.37 and I highly recommend you complete the 5 pre-major film classes Long Beach requires as well as the 60 GE unit classes before you transfer as it will save you money and you will be on time for graduation. I got accepted into CSUF who focuses more on film/radio/broadcast side rather than cinema/screenwriting. I got waitlisted for CSULB sadly and was denied from SDSU. I only completed 3 out of 5 pre-major classes for CSULB which also applies for CSUF as well. SDSU transfer requirements is very different compared to LB and CSUF as SDSU focuses more on theater and production rather than film itself and cinema. Therefore for SDSU, you have to take some odd art classes and theater classes to satisfy the prerequisite for SDSU. I also would not recommend going to SDSU for film/theater as I’ve read in some forms (I forgot where I found em), but the film equipment they have is very outdated as well as the professors are very old school. Not to mention when you try to find an internship for film, they tend to be in downtown LA and the greater LA metro area. Kinda glad SDSU denied me as I would hate myself commuting back and forth between San Diego and Los Angeles just to complete the internship.

@nemojoes wow thank you for the advice! I have been looking everywhere for the classes I will need (and the counselors are USELESS).

CSULB REQUIRES: + portfolio
Art 107 (intro to art)
Film A100
Film A150
English A127
General Education courses

CSUF REQUIRES:
Film A150
Film A155

SDSU REQUIRES: +portfolio
English A127
Film 100
THEA 100
Art A107
THEA A106/ OR Art A101
AND THEA 100

Is that ^^ an accurate list? Any insight you can give me would be AMAZING! I appreciate what you said about SDSU, but I definitely would still like to apply. My top however, is CSULB. CSUF is a close second though as I really like the campus, and I have a lot of friends who attend. You will enjoy it if that is where you end up!

*Also want to note I do intend on getting my AST in film so I am taking a majority of those classes to do that (: any additional major prep courses I will take as I really want to make my dream come true

@joooohnie it really depends on what your film major is. Be it on production cinema or screenwriting narrative side, you have to choose one of these as your main major, what turn SDSU off for me was the location it was in, as well as their cinema program. They focus more on the theatre and art side such as art history rather than cinema and production itself (No idea why). I never took a single theatre class and the only class that qualified for their pre-major class requirement was my ART 102 HISTORY OF WESTERN EUROPEAN MODERN ART II at my community college. I would definitely use https://cvc.edu/ if your local community college does not have the class to satisfy the pre-major classes and it shows you what other colleges offer the substitution course to satisfy the units needed. I’m following CSULB GE and pre-major class requirements as it the easiest and most straightforward plan they laid out as their classes also apply to CSUF. SDSU is its own program and I did not want to stay an extra semester at another CC just to finish their art history and theatre classes.

@joooohnie I’m assuming English A127 is scriptwriting. I’m not sure if CSULB will recognize it because I looked up substitution classes for their intro to scriptwriting, and the only college that they recognize was Cinema 005 intro to scriptwriting at West Los Angeles Community College which is the course I am taking right now for spring 2020. none of my local community colleges (I am in the Bay Area) offers INTRO TO SCRIPTWRITING that would satisfy CSULB pre-major of intro to scriptwriting.

CSULB changed their pre-major classes for 2019-2020 as the 2016-2017 class requirement is outdated, and will now require 5 instead of 4 pre-major classes.
FEA 299 Media Aesthetics (Fall, Spring) Pre-major, major or minor status. Pre- or co-requisite:
Written Communication (GE Area A1) Foundation
3 FEA 205 Film History (Fall, Spring) Pre-major, major or minor status; Written Communication
(GE Area A1) Foundation; sophomore standing
3 FEA 206 History of Broadcasting (Fall, Spring) Pre-major, major or minor status; Written Communication
(GE Area A1) Foundation; sophomore standing
3 FEA 207 Introduction to Screenwriting (Fall, Spring) Pre-major, major or minor status; FEA 299; GE
Foundation; sophomore standing
3 FEA 208 Introduction to Film Production (Fall, Spring) Pre-major or major status; FEA 299; GE Foundation;
sophomore standing
II. LOWER-DIVISION ART REQUIREMENT (3 units) Must complete one (1) of

@nemojoes thank you! I think this is what I have found for my cc: OCC (in case anyone else is looking too!)

I am interested in the production programs

CSULB:
Art 110- OCC Art A107
AH 111B- OCC Art A101
At least 2 of the following:
FEA 205- OCC Film A100
FEA 206- OCC Film A150
FEA 207- OCC English A127
FEA 299- No course articulated (Is this fine if I take the other 3?)

CSUF: *This is also my “Local CSU” *
CTVA 210- OCC Film A150
CTVA 220- OCC Film A155

SDSU:
THEA 100- OCC THEA A100
TFM 160- OCC Film A100
TFM 110- OCC English A127
THEA 120- No course articulated BUT Santa Ana CC Thea 100 covers it
3 Units from:
ART 157- OCC Art A107
ART 258- OCC Art A100
ART 259 - OCC Art A101
MUSIC 151- No course articulated
THEA 115 OR 130- OCC THEA 106

I hope this helps someone else as well!

@joooohnie yes that is fine if you take the other 3 for CSULB but they highly prefer you finish all 5 FEA classes that I mentioned above before you transfer so your chances of getting admitted will be higher.

@joooohnie As a transfer student who got into CSULB for the Narrative Production program for Production and Directing, I can tell you that it’s totally fine to go to community college and then transfer there. I found that it is easier and that there are a lot of opportunities without all the stress of college. While my counselors were almost on top of everything when it came to my academic progress, I referred to a website called assist.org for specific transfer requirements. This website allows you to see the agreements between any college in the state of California and gives you a list of classes that you need to complete prior to transferring.

There is a small error with the information that @nemojoes about the updated agreement. They now ask for 6 classes not 5. Introduction to Film Production was recently added to the existing list. But in order to be considered for admission at the College of the Arts at CSULB, which is where the film department is, you need Art 110 or AH 111B to transfer. It doesn’t show up in the updated agreement, but it is required for all departments and will show up in the supplement application. Take as many of those as you can. The rest you can’t finish you will have to complete in your first year at CSULB. The film program also prefers you to have an AA-T/AS-T in Film. All of us who were accepted got that degree and it makes you stand out against other applicants. In addition, the Narrative Production option has a portfolio which you can look up the instructions on the website or even watch some of the ones on YouTube for inspiration.

Surprisingly I was waitlisted at CSULB but was accepted at the end of May. I’m not exactly sure if it was either my academic record or my portfolio, but all I can say is to do the best you can and jump on any opportunity you see fit. That’s what I tell all of the film students I used to advise working at the community college I was at.

Major: Film - Narrative Production - Production/Directing
GPA: 3.79
AA-T/AS-T: Yes with an additional AA in Broadcasting (They only look at the AA-T/AS-T)
Golden 4: Completed; A, B, A-, A
Lower Division classes: 3 of 5 completed INITIALLY now 4 of 5
(My Intro to Screenwriting class at CSM transferred over at the request of the film advisor at CSULB to keep me on track to graduate on time. It was not transferable, but I just took it for fun)
Local: No, College of San Mateo, Northern California
Applied: CSULB, SF State, CSUN, CSUF, CSULA, UCLA
Accepted: CSULB, SF State, CSUF, CSULA
Rejected: CSUN (portfolio website crashed on the due date. Couldn’t submit it), UCLA

I hope this helps anyone wondering the same thing in the future.

It’s depends on your major, I’m a business major that just got accepted to CSULB for this upcoming fall 2021. They required a minimum of 3.2 gpa for that major, however, because of how competitive it is, my counselor suggested aiming for a 3.5gpa or higher.

If you enroll in the ADT program which is a guaranteed associates upon transfer as well as other perks you get .10 gpa boost on your application. It’s worth doing it if your community college offers the program.