Awkward conversations about how good UA is

<p>This might be the opposite thread topic to “how do you handle the look”. Here goes.</p>

<p>When bumping into my S’s high school classmates parents, we naturally gravitate to talking about how our kids are doing at universities. Many local kids have been home this past week for their Spring Breaks. Some of these families have to (sadly, IMO) report that their kids are struggling or somewhat disappointed, for a variety of reasons, the most shocking one (to me) being that their college choice is not a good fit. The fact that the parents are paying large sums to these colleges only adds insult. </p>

<p>I find it really awkward to talk with these parents, because our experience and our S’s experience at UA is so perfect - he is so full of joy: loves the distance from home, was very well prepared for the course load and the challenge of it, has generous scholarships, is very focused on his career choice, is involved in many activities that bring him great satisfaction, and UA has been a perfect fit for him.</p>

<p>Do other people experience this? I find it very awkward to talk with parents who are obviously somewhat disappointed with their student’s college experience, when ours in contrast is so fine. How can I appear humble when I’m bursting with pride and enthusiasm?!</p>

<p>I fortunately haven’t encountered this. The kids of the parents I run into all seem to be pretty happy with their schools. When the college search was on I always heard people say that somehow most kids end up where they’re supposed to be, and that seems to bear out. It may be that the kids I know were looking for fit rather than just prestige or ranking.</p>

<p>It’s the same for us as it is for beth’s mom. Of the friends/parents we are in contact with or have run into, all are doing well and are pleased with their (incredibly vast variety of) choices.</p>

<p>The real test is what their students do for their sophomore year. Pride is often difficult to swallow and many will downplay their dissatisfaction when the topic comes up, if there are issues.</p>

<p>UA has been a great choice for us, and I am not saying by any means it is perfect for anyone wise enough to attend (just kidding!) but I do think it is always about finding the right fit. I just happen to think Bama is a better fit than others most of the time <grin>.</grin></p>

<p>I have had some of my friends brag about my DS on my behalf. He is truly thriving at UA. I am the parent adjusting to him being independent; it seems that he doesn’t need me anymore. So I start to feel bad for myself and I hear how happy he is (without us) I realize that it is time for me to get a new project!</p>

<p>Sent from my GT-P5113 using CC</p>

<p>D1 is still a senior in HS but has many friends already in college. Same for us parents, friends with kids already in college. Overall, I think most kids end up picking the school that is the best fit.
The only time I’ve seen it not be the right fit is when the school was chosen by something other than academics, location, involvement, etc. Usually it is because the girlfriend/boyfriend is going to that school. I have told my girls, am also very vocal about it to D1’s friends, never ever pick a school based on a boyfriend and never let a boy pick his school based on where you are going to attend. EVER!</p>

<p>D1 was just telling us over the weekend about a long time friend that had always dreamed of going to a certain school (not Bama). This girls b/f was a year older so girl graduates from high school a year early and goes to the same college as the boyfriend. Girl HATES it and they broke up. She has now dropped out this semester and her only chance of getting into her dream school is going to be by attending a local community college and raising that GPA. The dream school is a very good school. The school the boyfriend went to, local private christian college that is not known even by some locals.</p>