Azusa Pacific University

Discussion APU Applications

S22 applied to the BSN program at Azusa. I’m also following the Nursing Class of 2026 (Direct Admit BSN) thread.

2 Likes

Hi @momBSND21! We also applied for the BSN at APU. What do you know or have you heard about the program? I think we are pretty clueless except for the campus tour we did last summer. We were told that the average admission is a 4.0 GPA which makes this another stretch school for us.

There is no information session on the APU website that provides data on acceptance rates, or number of spots for their direct entry Freshman BSN program. From the overview information on the APU website, the average high school GPA range of admitted students was 3.75 for the class of 2024.
During the 2019-2020 academic year, APU handed out 597 bachelor’s degrees in nursing. That’s the only information I’ve come across that could give us an idea of the size of their direct entry cohort class. I also came across what looks like a more recent statistics profile sheet on APU where the number of bachelor degrees awarded for nursing was 495. But that likely includes students earing their BSN thru the other pathways: ADN to BSN, LVN to BSN and nursing transfers.
S22 received his admission package to the university yesterday. Acceptance decisions to the SON will be made by March 1st next year.

Congrats on the admissions!
That 3.75 GPA is for the university of the school of nursing?

It’s for the university.

1 Like

I have an email out to the admissions representative asking about nursing acceptance stats and size of their freshmen cohort class. The SON admits high school students into the traditional BSN program and places them in either a fall (4 1/2 program) or a spring (4 year program). So it sounds like they have 2 cohort classes?

Also, the offer of admission to the university came with a merit scholarship of $22k. With an estimated total tuition + R&B cost of $51k, COA will come just below $30k which is a sweet spot for us.

@momBSND21 Thanks for sharing the stats. Congrats on the nice merit. The $30k is the sweet spot for those of us in CA with UCs around that amount.

Have you heard anything from nursing students at APU? What they like or dislike about the program? Strong points? Weak points? That’s the kind of information we will be looking at after our choices have been narrowed. Just asking in advance because we don’t have much connection with APU. By the way, we are fine with it being a distinctly Christian school and requiring 3 chapels a week.

In searching for the same information about the APU nursing program online, all of the student reviews and feedback I found are very positive, so that’s encouraging. When I get a response back from the admission representative, I’ll ask if they can connect me with any nursing student who would be willing to share their perspective about the program.

1 Like

According to the admissions representative, the SON accepts about 100 students a year, which means there are about 50 students in each cohort (there are 2).

The average GPA of accepted nursing students is about 4.0.

Thanks for the update. I wonder how many BSN freshman applicants they get a year. Did they say anything about that?

Depends on the year, but they typically receive anywhere from 700-1000 applicants for nursing. So acceptance rate is 10-14% for a 100 cohort class depending on the applicant pool volume for Fall 2022.

Did admissions tell you that they received 700-1000 applicants for nursing?

Yes, that information is from the admissions representative.

1 Like

Just received acceptance letter to the SON in the mail. Cohort placement information will be sent before February 1st. We are going on a campus tour tomorrow. Perfect timing!

Congrats!!!

1 Like

Please report back on your campus tour and visit. I’m curious to hear your impressions and thoughts. Thanks!

Will do. I will also ask for some nursing student references who can provide feedback about the program. Will pass along the information when I have it.

1 Like

@momBSND21 Did your son like APU? Any thoughts of the SON program?

Hi @RobertBoxer!

It’s a smaller university which has a cozy ambience to it. The facilities seem adequate and well maintained. The freshman dorm room (they showed us a model) provides a decent living space. Housing is also available for upper class students who want to live near campus. They have small class sizes which allows for easier access to professors. For someone who likes a tight knit community type of environment, this would be a good fit. My son liked it. The intimate setting that radiates from the location, architecture and school layout appeals to his nature. The reviews for the food on campus are mediocre, but there is an ample variety of nearby food choices outside campus, which he made note of.

I have an email out to the admissions representative with questions regarding the program:

Is the study abroad program available for students in the traditional 4 year direct entry nursing program?

Where do students complete their clinical rotations?

What support services are available for students? What assistance does the university provide for students having difficulty with coursework?

Is there any support provided for job placement?

Are there courses provided to assist with NCLEX review?

Can we get in touch with current or previous nursing students who can provide information regarding the program?

They are out of office until the first week of the New Year. I’ll post the information once I get a reply.

Have a Happy New Year!