B-cast Journalism, PR, or Communication at USC?

<p>Hi everyone,</p>

<p>I need some advice...</p>

<p>So, I'm conflicted with which major to pick. I'm a freshman in Annenberg as a Comm major, but I've been giving other areas a second thought because people are strongly suggesting me to go into broadcast journalism. My ultimate goal is to work in film/media/fashion branding and advertising, particularly the creative aspect. I'm also double minoring in Communication Design and Advertising, btw. I think broadcast journalism sounds interesting, but my intense dislike toward print journalism has steered me away from the field of journalism. I wrote for a big newspaper for a year and it was incredibly uninspiring to me. How different is broadcast, really? I actually don't mind writing and speaking...it's just the working environment of print journalism (of that specific office) that I strongly disliked. I was also interested in exploring TV/Radio since people have suggested me to delve into those industries based off of my voice and speech...but I'm not sure. With a Comm degree, it gives me the flexibility to explore other liberal arts fields, or will allow me to add a math class here and there. </p>

<p>I want to work in the field of film/media/fashion advertising for a 5-10 years after graduation and build my creative portfolio more. My back-up plan is to pursue my graduate degree in Communication Design at Carnegie Mellon, Pratt, Parsons if I decide it's time to. However, I'm totally not opposed to the TV/Radio career path. I've even thought about applying to intern at NPR Arts in my junior year. Any thoughts? Much appreciated.</p>

<p>I have no experience with communications or broadcast journalism, but I have a friend who studies both at NYU who enjoys it. She said they work together. She had told me that the assignments are not your typical and the assignments are past your norm. Maybe inspiration will spark for you.</p>

<p>A broadcast journalism major is geared towards broadcast journalism (e.g., focus on TV, radio, etc.). Because it is a journalism major, you most likely will have to take some print journalism classes, just as print journalism majors have to take broadcast journalism classes, but it focuses on the broadcasting aspect more. If you want to work with TV, radio, etc., either a broadcast journalism major or communication major.</p>