B.M. for someone who is a stronger musician than he is an student?

We will definitely check out Utah. It sounds promising.

1 Like

Northern Arizona University has a respected music Ed program and the outdoor component (Flagstaff is beautiful ā€”tons of great hiking) along with a good marching band and reasonable admissions standards for a more average student.
University of North Texas has everything youā€™re asking for except the lots of outdoor activities side of things, and a $1000 or more scholarship from the University also comes with an out of state tuition waiver.
A music Ed degree will generally have a basic mix of academic core requirements because they are required for a teaching credential.

1 Like

Several band teachers in Nashville went to Murray State in KY. Lots of merit, lots of nature.

2 Likes

Baldwin Wallace in Ohio might be a good option. Maybe Shenandoah in VA. Northern Arizona University or Grand Canyon University. Those are actually decent grades for many schools for a BM if he wants music but that means he has to major in the music. Since he is really not sure what he wants to do, its a bit hard to steer you. sounds like he wants to major in something non music but have music be a good part of his

1 Like

@Theaterforme

I am not sure where you are getting that heā€™s not sure? Weā€™re looking specifically for a B.M. for music Ed. Heā€™s not sure within that whether he wants voice or instrumental, but the path to being a music teacher is definitely what Iā€™m asking about.

He doesnā€™t want a dance or theater major, but he would like it if those classes were available and accessible to music majors.

2 Likes

I think sampling types of schools is a great first step. People here could make more targeted suggestions with info on the state where he might want to attend and work (yes, music ed programs certify by state), size, location, type of school and ā€œvibe.ā€ It does seem as if he would prefer larger schools with a marching band, but maybe I am wrong and some smaller schools do have that. The interest in musical theater and dance argues for a conservatory or university with those areas of study alongside music.

If he has a 504 he can register with the Office of Disabilities at any school, with documentation, and get accommodations such as extensions on projects, extra time, reduced course load etc. .

I am PMā€™ing you.

1 Like

We are in Maryland, but the Maryland options donā€™t seem like great fits. UMD has the program heā€™d want but the kids who get in from our area have much higher stats. Maybe Towson.

But Iā€™m a teacher who navigated the teaching reciprocity piece, as did many of my friends and colleagues so maybe itā€™s less of an issue here?

1 Like

Definitely check into reciprocity, and you apparently know something about that :slight_smile:
Stats for music kids donā€™t always have to be on a par with kids in other areas of study. Itā€™s worth a try.

I was just looking up Goucher. They donā€™t have a music major! But could be a great school for him in a lot of ways- very supportive and innovative- and has music, dance and theater.

Which reminds me, he can do music education as grad school- another option- and do something else for undergrad, including performance. Our public school actually requires a masterā€™s so our music teachers got their music ed degrees as a masterā€™s.

1 Like

Definitely limited mountain activities in Cincinnati :smiley: but there are alot of great hikings areas in town and within a few hours. Also Lake Cumberland within 3 hours has amazing boating and hiking as well.

1 Like

My cousinā€™s son graduated from Frostburg with a music major and teaching certification. That would be a possibility for a less selective, instate option.

1 Like

Frostbite doesnā€™t have a B.M., at least not as far as I can tell.

No, not a B.M.; their music degree options are a B.A.or B.S., but they do offer music teaching certification. Is there a reason your son is interested only in a B.M.? Many music ed degrees are B.A./B.S./B.Ed. rather than B.M.

You might want to consider the Hartt School of Music at U Hartford. Academically, itā€™s not that competitive, with an overall acceptance rate of about 75%. But it has a wonderful music school, with fantastic music ed. The central CT area has a number of school districts that value music education, so there are good internship opportunities available. U Hartford is reputed to give ā€œmeritā€ aid, so donā€™t be put off by the private school tuition price. Thereā€™s a pep band, but no marching band.

In terms of outdoor rec, there are beautiful reservoirs nearby for running trails, cycling, and hiking to viewpoints nearby, and better hiking (and skiing) within 2 hours drive - think Appalachian Trail and VT. Also white water rafting on the CT river, and boating on the CT river nearby.

Also, U Marylandā€™s early acceptance rate is much higher than its regular decision rate. They really seemed to push for early applications - one had to apply early acceptance to be eligible for merit money. Anyway, looks like their early acceptance rate is close to 60%, so with his in-state status, maybe it is possible, especially if he can submit a decent standardized test score.

2 Likes

Re the reciprocity piece. I donā€™t know when you went through the process - I think it used to be fairly straightforward. Requirements have been changing as different states move away from Praxis national testing and to their own state licensing exams or to no exams at all. I know Illinois was moving to a portfolio assessment with no exams - or was when one of ā€œmineā€ thought a teaching certification might be helpful to obtain employment as Covid hit. In any event, reciprocity may or may not be an issue depending on the states involved. And, research today may not give the same answer as research tomorrow.

Assuming that Music Ed will be readily available for Grad School can be problematic. Check into programs - to obtain certification credentials, students need to student teach and not all Graduate Programs in Music Ed have that option.

1 Like

I posted this earlier but just to make sure the connection is made that Hartt is at U of Hartford. This is their music ed page Music Education | University of Hartford

1 Like

He wants to do as much music as he can, and be the best musician he can. So, the mix in a B.M., with music making up the majority of the classes, appeals to him far more than a B.A., with the majority of the classes in other disciplinesā€¦

We will look at all the schools being suggested.

As far as why not UMD College Park, the kids from his high schools who will get in to College Park are kids with SATā€™s over 1300, and multiple APā€™s on their transcripts. He doesnā€™t have SAT scores yet, but I would guess somewhere around 1100, based on his other standardized scores.

1 Like

UMaryland College Park does not require scores. Look at this list of schools that do not require scores. It is very thorough.
FairTest | The National Center for Fair and Open Testing

Sometimes for merit aid, scores are needed but often not for music. If he doesnā€™t need merit aid, or if the music dept. gives aid without scores, spare him the stress of testing. These schools are genuinely test optional.

He can be a great candidate for a BM even if he isnā€™t for the university outside of music. The audition is usually the thing, and his genuine interest in teaching kids will be a plus.

1 Like

I teach high school. I have a front seat view on who gets into UMD, and the kids who get in and thrive there arenā€™t my kid. Heā€™s an amazing fantastic kid, but he needs to land in a place where heā€™ll thrive, and whether or not he could get into UMD, itā€™s not the right fit.

This isnā€™t a criticism of UMD. Heā€™s got a sibling who it might be perfect for. Itā€™s just not a match.

1 Like

Mountainous but close would be WVU. Itā€™s quite good for performing arts and has a Music Ed BM. I went to summer music camp at WVU, when I was in high school, and several of my camp friends became music majors there and went on to teach at the university level. They loved their college experience and I was always a little regretful that I didnā€™t join them! The Mountaineer Marching Band is a large and vibrant program.

The summer format has changed since dinosaurs roamed the earth, but there are a few Summer Academy programs available online this year - if heā€™s a brass player, that program is next week and would be a way to get to know the brass faculty. Workshops and Academies | School of Music | West Virginia University

1 Like

Do you know any kids who applied to the school of music at UMD? I hope someone comes on with info on the difference in admissions chances, if any, for BM applicants- but that would also depend on talent shown in the audition. And not sure what music ed programs are looking for.

1 Like