Backup Plan

<p>After visiting Madison it is hard for me to see myself wanting to go anywhere else for college. Since I am not the best candidate to get in at UW, do you think it would work out alright to go to Madison Technical College for one year and then transfer into UW? I love the area and would still love to be able to transfer as well.</p>

<p>I've heard the best plan for transfer is to attend another UW school (like in Milwaukee) for a year.</p>

<p>I think they prefer two years at MATC and doing that is very popular. It was great when MATC was mostly downtown too.</p>

<p>You want the best academic preparation for UW- try to get into one of the top other UW system schools. I know they are offering the tech school path to UW but the coursework is not the same. You also should try for a 4 year college experience straight out of HS- going away to school, living in the dorms, is an experience you can't get at MATC. Your peer group will be different also. Apply to some of the other UW 4 year schools as your safeties, being part of a campus as a student is better for you than staying in the Madison area.</p>

<p>MATC is the #1 transfer school to UW and has been for years. They must be doing OK at it. The other stuff is up to the individual but you could live at a private dorm near UW while going to MATC and meet many UW students. It's an option.</p>

<p><a href="http://apa.wisc.edu/Admissions/2006_Transfer_Trend_Analysis.pdf%5B/url%5D"&gt;http://apa.wisc.edu/Admissions/2006_Transfer_Trend_Analysis.pdf&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p>

<p>Thanks for that last bit of info barrons. That was more of what I was hoping I could do. I cannot justify spending more money to go to a 4 year univ for one year before switching when I could save money and go to MATC. But it would still be nice to be so close to UW.</p>

<p>It would be nice to transfer as a freshman but i realize that would be very difficult to do, but I have talked to people who have entered Madison after just one Semester at a CC.</p>

<p>Best option for successful transfer is first spend 12 months (or 18 if your HS records are spotty) in a comparable 4-yr college and do well academically. </p>

<p>2-yr CC is an option but be sure you come near top of your class when apply.</p>

<p>The article referred to lists the top two being MATC or the two year campuses, first place going back and forth. I suspect many at the 4 year schools may decide to stay where they are, not an option for the others. Wanting to be near the UW campus for the fun may sound good- but will it be conducive to getting the best academic preparation for transfer success? Will your academic "muscles" stay in shape? You will get to be a full member of the college scene at one of the other 4 year schools. Regarding money, you would pay more at UW-Madison than the other 4 year schools. Living at home is to be avoided- you can never replace the freshman on campus experience. My advice is to get the irreplaceable freshman college experience by living in the dorms at one of the 4 year colleges, then transfer. College is much more than the academics, the academics will be best at a 4 year college and your peer group will be more in line with your abilities.</p>