Bad decision picking uci over ucsd?

<p>my dad told me that uci is better than ucsd at computer engineering several times and i ended up believing him. i just checked some rankings and ucsd is actually much better than uci at CE. was it a big mistake?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I think the difference in the ranking is small. And it isn't a comparision of Harvard to like San Jose State, so it's how YOU perfrom in college for that major will matter most of all. </p>

<p>Because UCI and UCSD both have great engineering programs, I can't stress it enough how you should chose the campus you personally like more.</p>

<p>^thanks.</p>

<p>"I can't stress it enough how you should chose the campus you personally like more." </p>

<p>i cant really do that u see because i have no word in my college decision. my parents are choosing everything for me. so they "personally" liked the uci campus more than ucsd campus so they told me thats where i would go. it was the complete opposite for me. I HATE MY PARENTS.</p>

<p>you should deff go where u personally like. and it just happens that where you like, ucsd, is a higher ranked, more pretsigious university, with a higher ranked program. thus, you should probably attempt to attend ucsd. i know personally it would be a no brainer decision for me. but thats just my opinion. uci is also a great school, and like the other poster said, uci is not exactly way below ucsd. its not the difference between harvard and san jose state. so either way youll be fine. id try to go to ucsd though. im surprised your parents dont want you to go to the harder to get into, more prestigious university. that is so different from how a lot of parents are here on cc.</p>

<p>but i dont get why they wouldnt want me to challenge myself. and if ucsd is better than uci then i would have greater chances at getting into grad school.</p>

<p>Actually for grad school it doesn’t matter where you go. It’s what you do in college, so focus on what you’re going to do in college: in the long run that’s what matters. There’s many UCI students who have gotten their masters at universities like Stanford and MIT. Don’t get so bummed out, talk it over with your parents and ask them honestly why they choose UCI over UCSD. I know because I’m in the same boat as you are, my parents also told me to go to UCI (electrical engineering).
I have heard that UCI’s computer science/engineering is increadibly difficult. As many as 80% change majors during freshman year. UCI also has specializations, my friend is going into game design for fall 2010.</p>