bad freshman year need advice!!

hey! this is my first time posting. My 9th grade year just finished up and i ended with a 3.3-3.4 unweighted. My classes this year are harder than the classes I will have next year. I am retaking a few classes ( need on opinion on this), but next year i hope to bump my GPA to high 3.7 or low 3.8. I took a practice SAT and did very well. Also I am on varsity tennis, robotics club, student action senate, JV golf, volunteer at red cross, also captain of chess club. Can I still make it? Also can I retake classes to improve GPA? Thanks

Does your school rank? What is your rank?

http://admissions.tamu.edu/freshman/admitted

That’s not a terrible GPA and I’m sure you can bring it up a good deal.

my school does not rank but it is top 10 in the state? @gettingschooled

do you think a 3.5 is good for a and m? @NavalTradition

A&M really doesn’t look at GPA per se. They look at how your GPA compares to others at your school using your school profile. If your GPA more or less puts you in the top 10-25 percent in your class, you should be fine. If not, then maybe not. Get your SAT/ACT score above the academic admit threshold to be safe. Apply early. Have a back-up.

Your counselor may be able to tell you how kids from your school with your grades and scores do in getting admitted.

You can help yourself greatly by qualifying for automatic academic admit. This is from TAMU website:

"Applicants qualify for automatic academic admission (but not necessarily to the major of choice), if they:

successfully complete Texas A&M’s required coursework, and
rank in the top quarter of their graduating class on or before the application deadline, and
achieve SAT or ACT test score minimums (including Writing scores), and
combined SAT score of at least 1300 (Math and Critical Reading) with at least a 600 in each of these components, or
composite ACT score of at least 30 with at least a 27 in the Math and English components,
satisfy the State of Texas Uniform Admission Policy, and
ensure all required documents are received by the application deadline."

I was not aware of auto-admit, Thanks! @JAMCAFE