Bad Grades First Semester in College.. Can I Redeem Myself?

<p>I just saw my final grades on BlackBoard, I have 2 A’s, a B-, a C-, and a D… I only made A’s and B’s in high school, so I thought that making those same grades in college would be a breeze. Boy, was I wrong. I got so caught up in the social aspect of college that I neglected my grades. I really don’t want to tell my parents about my grades because I don’t want to disappoint them. Whenever they ask me about my grades i either lie about them or try to change the subject. What should I do? Is it possible to raise my GPA quick?</p>

<p>For starters tell them the truth. Bad news doesn’t get better with time.</p>

<p>You may be able to retake the class with a D and get that grade replaced which will help. Other than that, make the necessary corrections to your study habits and do well from here on out. This hole you have dug is not that big and you can get out of it pretty quickly. You have already recognized the problem so you are half way there. Good luck.</p>

<p>There is no way to magically raise your GPA immediately. You need to be upfront with your parents. </p>

<p>Are you on an academic scholarship? What is your overall GPA for the semester?</p>

<p>Assuming all of your classes were for the same number of credits, you’ve got a 2.67 GPA (a B- average). That’s not such a huge hole to dig out of. I would suggest that you let your parents know what your grades are, and at the same time let them know what you’re going to change in order to do well next semester. </p>

<p>You may want to consider going to the Center for Academic Success to get some help with study skills and/or tutoring in the subjects that are giving you trouble. You should look at the things you did last semester that kept you from doing your best in the classroom. Did you skip classes? Fall asleep/not pay attention in class because you were staying up late? Too much partying/video games/something else? Do you need a more quiet study environment? Be honest with yourself as to what the issue is, and come up with a plan to deal with it. </p>

<p>You should be able to pull a B- average up to something more respectable, but it’ll take some effort and self awareness. Good luck!</p>

<p>Is it possible to raise my GPA quick?</p>

<p>???</p>

<p>What do you mean? The semester is over. All you can do is do better next semester and get your GPA up. But, that won’t be til the end of next semester.</p>

<p>Are your parents paying for college? If so, then they probably are going to expect to see/know your grades. </p>

<p>If your parents aren’t paying for college, then you’re under NO obligation to tell them your grades. None…nada…no.</p>

<p>*I got so caught up in the social aspect of college *</p>

<p>It’s kind of interesting that you ended up being very social since before classes started you started a thread about how lonely you were…and we encouraged you to participate in WOW week and so forth. I guess our suggestions worked too good. lol</p>

<p>Fay, you can definitely redeem yourself. Tell your parents. As suggested by beth’s mom, also let them know what you plan to do differently next semester. Your parents may be disappointed but they’ll recover. </p>

<p>There is no way to raise your GPA quickly through your local junior college might offer a mini-mester over the holidays. If so, you might be able to pick up a core class with a good grade. The good news is that when your spring grades post, they will have a huge impact on your GPA. You’ll never have another semester that will have the potential to impact your GPA as much as this next semester, so do your best to excel in the spring!</p>

<p>In the meantime, don’t lie to your parents! That will double your trouble as both the grades and the lie will come out. And trust is harder to rebuild than a GPA.</p>