Bad things about the university

<p>slippy has found himself on that slippery slope again…</p>

<p>Bama Dining: [Bama</a> Dining Terms and Conditions](<a href=“http://bamadining.ua.edu/pages/terms-conditions.html]Bama”>http://bamadining.ua.edu/pages/terms-conditions.html)</p>

<p>describes the upcharge on Bryant Hall nighttime dining.</p>

<p>OUR PROMISE: We agree to provide all-you-care-to-eat dining hall access at Lakeside Dining Hall, Fresh Food Company, and Burke Dining Hall during all regular hours of operation. In addition, Julia’s Market in Tutwiler Hall accepts meal plans for designated Fresh 2 Go selections, and Bryant Dining accepts non-athletic meal plans during the lunch service only. The evening Training Table meal at Bryant Dining requires one meal swipe plus an up-charge of $9.95 plus tax (2 meal swipes are NOT accepted in place of the up-charge). Please note that we strive to adhere to all hours of operation, however due to remodeling, maintenance, inclement weather, and other unforeseen events, the hours of operation may change. All operational changes will be posted promptly. Please check the Bama Dining website (bamadining.ua.edu) and posted signs at dining locations for any operational changes.</p>

<p>Info on when the meals begin.</p>

<p>The first meal served for the fall semester will be dinner on Sunday, August 11, 2013. All dining facilities will close after lunch on Wednesday, November 27, 2013 for the Thanksgiving break and reopen on Saturday, November 30, 2013 at the regularly scheduled operating time. Our last meal for the fall semester will be lunch on Friday, December 13, 2013. Spring semester meal plan service will begin on Sunday, January 5, 2014 at 4:00 p.m., and end on Friday, May 2, 2014. All Bama Dining facilities will be closed March 21-28, 2014 for Spring Break.</p>

<p>*The main problem with the University of Alabama is that it attracts to worst, most arrogant, ignorant, insufferable football fans on the planet. I’ll even give you a pass if you have a degree from the school, but most of the idiots I encounter on a daily basis when visiting the State of Alabama have never darkened the door of the stadium, much less the university.</p>

<p>Bear Bryant is dead, y’all.*</p>

<p>Wow, just wow. Rude, just rude. Lose, just lose…again and again.</p>

<p>DS is also not a fan of Lakeside dining. As a matter of fact, he decided that he does not want a meal plan this year.
For our family, the worst part is transportation.
Our family lives near Memphis and flying really does not make sense for us. I contacted transportation with the idea of adding stops to the bus stations in Tuscaloosa and Birmingham (Greyhound and Megabus) but had no luck.
DS has gotten rides form CC posters last year, but I also had to pick him and that is not fun (about 5 hours drive each way.)
There is a Facebook page but DS did not have much luck with it.</p>

<p>Think of it as several hours all alone with your child.</p>

<p>My DH and I are fighting over who " gets" DD in “their” car on the eleven hour drive to drop her off!</p>

<p>We will both be painfully alone on the long, empty drive back to the EMPTY NEST.</p>

<p>switch her from one car to the other at coffee call in baton rouge, a good halfway point.</p>

<p>mmm beignets!</p>

<p>We stop at Slidell…still looking for Britney!</p>

<p>TXA, if you’re going to bicker, you both ride in one car and she rides alone!</p>

<p>slidell??? who wants to stop there???</p>

<p>My bladder!</p>

<p>^ Don’t you say a word, Class2012!!</p>

<p>What happens on Roomommie Roadtrips STAYS on Roomommie Roadtrips! :mad:</p>

<p>Sometimes you just get TOO LUBED!</p>

<p>^^^TXA, it was a 4 1/2 hour drive late this afternoon for us. Car was not quiet as it was DH, D2 and her friend (two 15 year old girls), and myself doing the driving. No sappy tunes allowed.</p>

<p>FYI, the Dizzy Dean Rest Area in Mississippi on the way to Gulfport is FRIGID!!! Dear lord, it will cure hot flashes in a flash! </p>

<p>Gotta figure out the whole dining thing with the summer school situation. For future reference, a lot of places on The Strip are closed the week of the 4th of July. Which is weird as there are a ton of students there and school in session. That’s my bad point concerning UA.</p>

<p>Throwing my two cents in on the dining issue: I actually like Lakeside alright. I think the issue for a lot of people is that they know what they like, so they tend to get the same thing a lot, making it seem like there aren’t a ton of options there. I say, give Lakeside a break. The staff there are friendly, and I probably eat better there than I do at home half the time - no offense to my parents intended, as I tend to go for leftovers, chicken salad, PB&J, etc. anyway. And after all, we ARE college students. I have high standards for my classes, not my dinners. But I do understand people who love their food.</p>

<p>According to my son and his friends, Lakeside often runs out of clean untensils…The joke about keeping plastic forks in their backpacks. They also do NOT like Lakeside’s food…My son says he is not sure he even wants a meal plan this year. For the rpice we pay for meals at lakeside, he could eat elsewhere and enjoy the food!</p>

<p>In all seriousness, my son dislikes the food at Lakeside, but perhaps that is not a bad thing. Instead of gaining the freshman 15, he has slimmed up and looks good. Whatever it takes, I suppose.</p>

<p>I do find it humorous that he routinely swipes at Duncan Donuts at 1:00 in the morning.</p>

<p>he routinely swipes at Duncan Donuts</p>

<p>Is that how they spell Dunkin Donuts in Bayou Country?</p>

<p>There are decent tasting choices at Lakeside. They have baked potatoes with toppings to add, a salad bar, a deli sandwich bar, etc. I’m not too fond of casserole-style meals, so those may be lacking the best taste or be too salty. </p>

<p>Do they still have that Asian-style made-to-order cooking station? I haven’t eaten at Lakeside for awhile (maybe the tornado?), so I don’t know if it’s still there. I usually at that or the baked potato with toppings or the salad bar.</p>

<p>That said, I don’t understand how Burke’s food can taste better, but it does. Don’t they use the same recipes, etc?</p>

<p>slippy2000: Son #1 was never a fan of Lakeside. He used his Dining Dollars every semester. And asked that we put money on his Bama Cash so he could go to Publix or other places for food. When he moved off campus, we gave him a weekly allowance for food. </p>

<p>ProudBamaMama: I agree with you about the price. Most kids, when looking at colleges, do not check out the cost of food. That has become the big thing with Son #2. We have visited other schools, eaten the food at lunch time, enjoyed it and known that it would be much cheaper to send Son #2 to that school based on dorm and food costs. In the end, that would be a factor in school choice.</p>