Badgers tough one out

<p>Cornell next up. They crushed a good Temple so we need to play better. Much better. Making the Sweet 16 would=Good Season IMHO.</p>

<p>Badgers played ****-poor today. Jbo, Nankiville, and the bench did nada. I know we were trying to go inside because the Terriers are small, but frankly I prefer us to jack up the three than what I saw today. Need some urgency next game. All I can say is thank goodness for Leur and Trevon</p>

<p>Another great performance from the Badgers today. What a disappointment… Ya Cornell shot lights out, but I saw no emotion from our “senior leaders” today. Just didn’t come to play.</p>

<p>Pretty good season, but really frustrating finish. Last three games were not representative of this team.</p>

<p>Another terrible effort. Going down the stretch UW faded like a cheap shirt. Really put a damper on the season. Bo needs to get out and recruit some real athletes. The midwestern choirboys are not making it. Try some major cities.</p>

<p>I think that after a 24-8 season, an NCAA tournament bid and 1 win in the tournament it’s a little hasty to say Bo Ryan should completely change his recruiting tactics.</p>

<p>Certainly the Badgers fell short of their own lofty goals, but relatively speaking they did pretty well.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>They seemed to do just fine for Cornell :).</p>

<p>And imo, choirboys is a pretty misleading term. Wisconsin players generally look more like skinheads.</p>

<p>Cornell did not ‘crush’ us…</p>

<p>OK, they killed us. We never led and they bounced around a 20 point lead much of the game. It was a whipping. A schooling. Yes, a crushing smackdown. UW was never in the game. </p>

<p>We have gone nowhere in the NCAA for several years now frequently losing to lower seeds. If that does not mean time for some changes your standards are low. In college hoops the regular season is just to get your seed. Winning in the tournament is what matters and losing to low seeds just proves that the media opinion that uW is always overrated.</p>

<p>BTW, Badger Herald agrees with me.</p>

<p>[The</a> Badger Herald: Sports: Bigger Red: Cornell crushes Badgers](<a href=“http://badgerherald.com/sports/2010/03/21/bigger_red_cornell_c.php]The”>http://badgerherald.com/sports/2010/03/21/bigger_red_cornell_c.php)</p>

<p>I am going to have to agree with Barrons on this one. Four out of the last five years we have been knocked out in the first weekend of the tournament. Frustration is starting to mount all over Badger country. Bo recruits players that can win in the Big Ten, and they do just that. Unfortunately, elite college basketball programs recruit athletic players that can win in the tournament, not just their conference. I have been a long time defender of Bo and his system, but Cornell, Xavier, Davidson and UNLV are the teams that have knocked us out of the tournament each of the last four years. Four mid-majors! Are you kidding me? Something has to be changed and soon!!</p>

<p>barrson, I’m a Temple fan, hence my name.</p>

<p>I have noticed that Wisconsin games are deadly dull to watch. As an alum, I am glad that our players seem to be expected to have some behavior and academic standards and I want that to continue. Their brand of basketball just isn’t fun to watch, and I’m not well enough versed in basketball logistics to know why from a technical point of view</p>

<p>But, and this is key: Cornell probably has standards at least as high, probably higher, as Wisconsin (let’s not get too carried away by the Ivy mystique though–they don’t have to be National Merit Finalists to get in to play a varsity sport)–as does Davidson. And there was a great article in the NY Time the other day about Xavier–it has an extremely well-credentialed nun on staff whose job it is to make sure that all players who reach their final year of athletic eligibility graduate–and she has been doing this for 20 years and it works. She sounds delightful and it increased my respect for Xavier. So I wish commentators and others would get over this silly “real athletes” stuff–there are plenty of real athletes who are also “real students.”</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>They, like Temple, play a defensive-orientated, low-scoring, low possession game. Not tons of scoring and fast break dunks like a lot of major teams play. It’s old school, non-flashy style basketball.</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>I agree, I don’t want Madison to adopt a “win at all costs” mentality or actively pursue different athletes simply to win a few more games. That kind of attitude can at best lead to a relaxing of academic standards for sports participants, and at worst lead to a catastrophic scandal like at Binghamton University.</p>

<p>Besides, the Badgers already win a lot. The football team was 10-3 with a nice bowl win, and the basketball team went 24-8, made the NCAA tournament and won a game. That’s significantly better than a lot of programs in the country.</p>

<p>All true but Turner of OSU, who seems to be a fine young man, would have looked great in a Badger uniform. But he chose OSU over the UW. We have finished second on too many good players. I don’t have the answer as to why. But I think it might be that our style of play is not attractive to top players.</p>