Balancing academics and location

So my top schools are the university of Florida and cu Boulder. I am well aware that Florida is a significantly better school than Colorado when it comes to my biochemistry major. However, I am a big hiking/skiing guy, and Colorado just seems like the prime location to go to school. I don’t know how much I’ll be able to do in Gainesville, since I’m not much of the party/club person. Should I prioritize the academic reputation of Florida or the superior location of Cu Boulder?

Both are very good schools. So focus on the better fit.

2 Likes

What do you mean by “significantly better.” That should probably matter. However, life is short. Waaaayyy shorter than college kids realize. Follow your heart and be happy as long as both can get you where you want to be career-wise.

1 Like

UF better than CU for the study of CHNOPS? Why? Perhaps you have viewed graduate department rankings, which could be counterproductive to your interests.

1 Like

Are both affordable?

1 Like

Net price and debt at each?

What makes you ‘very well aware’ that UF is “significantly better” than CU-Boulder, particularly for a specific major? Schools are generally not rated by their undergraduate majors outside of engineering and business. And I always say that graduate program rankings are not necessarily good indicators of undergraduate program quality - but CU-Boulder’s biochemistry program is top 15.

They’re both excellent universities, and you can get an excellent education at either, so I think you should go to the one you’d enjoy more, which sounds like CU-Boulder. (But also wait until you get your financial aid packages before you get too married to either, unless your family can afford to cover the full cost of attendance without blinking.)

3 Likes