Bama area Restaurant Guide

<p>Last night we went to the newly-opened Jim n Nick’s BBQ…located in Downtown, but kind of off the beaten path (it’s behind the ABC Beverage on 21st St.</p>

<p>[Location</a> - Tuscaloosa | Jim 'N Nick’s](<a href=“http://www.jimnnicks.com/location_tuscaloosa]Location”>http://www.jimnnicks.com/location_tuscaloosa)</p>

<p>The place is very popular. Very good. the service was excellent and the employees were super helpful.</p>

<p>M2CK, I’m so happy I saw you post this. I went to one of the restaurants in Murfreesboro, TN, when I went college visiting last year, and I really liked the food. At least, it’s better than most of the places we have up in New England.</p>

<p>Ate at Tacogi’s last night…Asian Fusian…located in Downtown. Kind of Korean meets Mexican. Very good. It’s owned by Bento people so it has that amazing Shrimp sauce that you can have add/substituted on your food.</p>

<p>Very reasonably priced…very popular. </p>

<p>Today we ate at Carmelo’s Cafe …located in Downtown…kind of behind Mellow Mushroom.</p>

<p>We had the Fish Tacos and the Country Fried Steak …sides were Fried Green Tomatoes (very good) and Mashed Red Potatoes. We are full to the brim…no dinner for us!</p>

<p>Thanks for the new info and for bumping this to the top :slight_smile: I was just getting ready to search for this thread in prep for our trip… leaving tomorrow with tour activities on Monday!</p>

<p>I don’t know if I already posted about Ruan Thai, but we went back again last week. Everything we ordered was great…the Pad Thai, Pork Thai Fried Rice, Pad Kee Mao, Chicken Larb, Kang Masamum, and Pad See You.</p>

<p>[Ruan</a> Thai in Tuscaloosa - Home](<a href=“http://www.rollthai.com/]Ruan”>http://www.rollthai.com/)</p>

<p>Ruan Thai is definitely two thumbs up!!</p>

<p>Checked in and settled at Hotel Capstone. Nice room on second floor labeled executive wing. Asked the desk clerk for some directions and input on meal ideas for the next two days and he was very helpful. </p>

<p>After touring the Bryant Museum next door we wanted a late snack/lunch and a cold adult beverage for those allowed. We went to Phil’s for a table selection of wings, onion rings and fried mushrooms, all were great, followed by a discussion with DD on the freshman 15. </p>

<p>Looking forward to BBQ tonight and of course the tour tomorrow.</p>

<p>For those attending Bama Bound…</p>

<p>15th Street Diner
1036 15th St.
750.8750</p>

<p>Archibald’s BBQ
4419 Hwy 43 N
333.3622</p>

<p>Benkei Japanese Steakhouse
1223 McFarland Blvd.
759.5300</p>

<p>Bento Japanese Steakhouse
1306 University Blvd.
758.7426</p>

<p>Bob Baumhower’s Wings Sports Grill
500 Harper Lee Rd.
556.5658</p>

<p>Mr Chang’s Chinese Restaurant & Store
Hackberry Road (south of Paul Bryant Blvd)</p>

<p>Buffalo Phil’s Wings
1149 University Blvd.
758.3318</p>

<p>Buffalo Wild Wings
2710 McFarland Blvd.
523.0273</p>

<p>Buffet City (Chinese)
1747 Skyland Blvd. E.
553.3308</p>

<p>Catfish Heaven
2502 21st St. E.
752.7222</p>

<p>Chuck’s Fish
508 Greensboro Ave
248.9370</p>

<p>City Cafe
408 Main Ave.
758.9171</p>

<p>Cracker Barrel
4808 Skyland Blvd.
562.8282</p>

<p>Crimson Tavern (new and good)
1301 University Blvd.
750.0203</p>

<p>Cypress Inn
501 Rice Mine Rd.
345.6963</p>

<p>Depalma’s Italian Cafe
2300 University Blvd.
759.1879</p>

<p>Desperado’s Steak House
1530 McFarland Blvd.
343.1700</p>

<p>Dreamland BBQ
5535 15th Ave. 758.8135
101 Bridge Ave. 247.3004</p>

<p>Epiphany’s
519 Greensboro Ave.
344.5500</p>

<p>Evangeline’s
1653 McFarland Blvd.
752.0830</p>

<p>FIG
1351 McFarland Blvd.
345.8888</p>

<p>Five Guy’s Burgers & Fries
1800 McFarland Blvd.
Midtown Village</p>

<p>The Front Porch
4421 Hwy. 43 N.
339.3047</p>

<p>Full Moon BBQ (destroyed from Tornado…will be back)
1383 McFarland Blvd.
(It’s back! New Location! Now it’s on the NW corner of 15th St and McFarland Blvd)</p>

<p>Hokkaido Japanese Steak House (destroyed from Tornado…don’t know its future.)
528 15th St. E.
(*** It’s back - new location! It’s on 15th St, next to Taco Casa)
Hooligan’s
1915 University Blvd.
759.2424</p>

<p>Hot Wok Express
6571 Hwy. 69 S.
758.0148</p>

<p>Jim 'n Nicks BBQ (downtown)
305 21st St</p>

<p>Iguana Grill - Mexican
1800 McFarland Blvd
Midtown Village</p>

<p>IHOP
724 Skyland Blvd.
366.1130</p>

<p>Jalape</p>

<p>Wings U has changed its name to Bob’s Victory Grill.</p>

<p>Wow…really? Interesting!</p>

<p>I need to add:</p>

<p>Shrimp Basket on McFarland</p>

<p>Broadway Pizza
Rice Mine Road E</p>

<p>Surin
University Blvd</p>

<p>Another Broken Egg Cafe (breakfast and lunch only)
1650 Jack Warner
(on the river)</p>

<p>Sitar
15th Street</p>

<p>also, Chloe’s Cup
University Blvd (Downtown)
very good coffee drinks</p>

<p>We like the Shrimp Basket, and Hungry Howie’s Pizza on The Strip or in Northport, too.</p>

<p>My new favorite barbecue is Saws in B’ham.</p>

<p>I swear, I am on the downhill spiral after consuming so much good food in Tuscaloosa earlier this week for 4 days. And the sweet tea, so missing it!!! </p>

<p>Here is where we dined and I’m sure will be back for more.</p>

<p>Five
Downtown on 6th St
Sunday Brunch. MMMM, good shrimp and grits.
They are open for dinner with nightly specials. </p>

<p>Bob’s Victory Grill
(formerly Wings U. Did not know that when telling future roomies family where we could meet for dinner to watch the Spurs game). They changed names a few weeks ago.
McFarland in Midtown Village</p>

<p>Mugshots
Downtown on Greensboro
BEST BURGERS EVER! They make their own buns. They were very good.
This ain’t your average burger.
Very casual atmosphere</p>

<p>Phil’s
on the Strip. 3rd time to dine here as it is just convienent.
Good food</p>

<p>Mellow Mushroom
Downtown on University Dr
Very good pizza. Again, this is not your average pizza.
Tuesday night is trivia night
HUGE beer selection. Plenty of local beers offered.</p>

<p>Waysider Cafe
on Greensboro in Downtown area
very small. Had breakfast. Good breakfast and grits are pretty tasty.
Homemade biscuits and tons of daily specials and veggies.</p>

<p>Taco Casa
15th St just off of McFarland
Just for the Sweet Tea :slight_smile:
It is sooooooo good!!!</p>

<p>Legends at Hotel Capstone
hung out in the bar for a few drinks and snacks after BB one afternoon.
Huge selection of beers. Seems to have a very nice menu selection.</p>

<p>We need way more time in Tuscaloosa just for the dining options.
Must say, for being a “small” college town the dining options in Tuscaloosa beat out many large cities in more “urban” environments and in states some see as more “progressive”.</p>

<p>oh, i also forgot to add:</p>

<p>Cheddars on Skyland Blvd (across from Sams Club)
They have some big $3.50 margaritas. I love their Sangria Margarita.</p>

<p>Taziki’s
In Midtown Village (towards the back) on McFarland.</p>

<p>We need to add some of the newer places…</p>

<p>Steamers opened on The Strip. I haven’t been there yet, but I’m guessing it’s similar to their other location off of Hargrove. </p>

<p>Hoo’s BBQ opened on 15th a couple of months ago. It’s located next to Forest Lake. Had their meatloaf…was good. It was unusual because it was smoked. The place was crowded, so it’s doing well. </p>

<p>Downtown is changing a lot. A Steel City Pops opened. Haven’t been there yet. </p>

<p>Which 'Wich opened…Sandwich place</p>

<p>Chloe’s Cup closed :frowning: I think its coffee business was hurt from Dunkin Donuts opening with a drive thru. Chloe’s will be missed. (I named my new yorkie puppy Chloe…maybe it was an unconscious salute. lol )</p>

<p>What else have y’all noticed?</p>

<p>Glory Bound Gyro is pretty good. We ate their on the last trip when Muggshots was packed.</p>

<p>Epiphany farm to table restaurant downtown got 3 thumbs up from our family. Service was friendly and prompt, food was so good, lots of choices for veggie DD.</p>

<p>What is Epiphany like? How were the prices? I’ve walked by it a few times, but have never gone in.</p>

<p>ahh…found the menu…
<a href=“Epiphany Cafe menu - Tuscaloosa AL 35401 - (305) 344-5583”>Epiphany Cafe menu - Tuscaloosa AL 35401 - (305) 344-5583;

<p>It is easy to walk by. Inside is exposed brick walls and pub style atmosphere. More open in the back, have to pass through narrow bar area be seated. What we call black apron service up here in wi.</p>

<p>Is 15th St Diner moving to a different location, or just closing up shop completely?</p>