Bama area Restaurant Guide

<p>We’re going by T-town today, so we’re going to stop and eat somewhere! Now we have to choose!</p>

<p>Hear it’s going to be a hot one there today but am still wayyy jealous!!! We miss T-Town :(</p>

<p>Everyone should definitely check out Surin of Thailand on University. It has great Asian food and sushi. This is my family’s new T-Town haunt.</p>

<p>Buffalo Phil’s gets love because of their great location and campus atmosphere. I never order anything but wings there so I have no idea how good/bad anything else is. It looks like typical “bar food” though so expectations shouldn’t be high. The atmosphere in there on game weekends, and especially game day, is awesome. </p>

<p>Taco Casa is strictly a 2am food fix for the slightly/heavily inebriated. Just a less commercialized Taco Bell really. </p>

<p>If Mugshots was on the strip instead of downtown it would be my favorite place in town.</p>

<p>The Bear Trap never gets mentioned on here but it’s decent as well. Again it’s only bar type food but they have great lunch specials. And the outdoor rooftop seating is nice in the spring & fall. It’s located behind & on top of Buffalo Phils for those who aren’t familiar with the place.</p>

<p>I’m excited to hear that Jim 'N Nick’s is coming to Tuscaloosa. They are going to set up shop in the renovated factory/warehouse behind the ABC liquor store downtown. Sweet Bones Alabama is also opening somewhere (on the Strip, I believe).</p>

<p>“For those who live in Missouri it would be the equivalent of Harpos or The Heidelberg at MU.
Like Archibalds as well for bbq (yes Bryant fans here as well although I really do like Gates fries double cooked 'till they are crispy”</p>

<p>“Hi ya’ll, may I help you?”…aaahhh GATES rocks! When hubby would travel to KC, I would insist that he “stop by” (really no where near where he actually would be) to bring home BBQ. He swore that he was the only guy on the plane and in an airport that oozed BBQ scent. Perhaps because it was wrapped and tucked in his carry on ;)</p>

<p>Being a former Missourian, I love Heidelberg and Harpos. Can’t wait to visit for MIZZOUs 100th Homecoming this year!</p>

<p>kansasdemocrat-husband’s fav is Arthur Bryant. He is with you of the opinion that no other BBQ compares ;)</p>

<p>aphimommy-DD said that it was 100 degrees yesterday in T-town. I heard the same thing this morning on the national news. She said that it was really hot this morning on her way to class but it seems to have cooled off just tad.</p>

<p>Went to Mugshots today…had the Howard’s Steak Sandwich which was VERY good. The buns at that place are incredible…but the entire sandwich was very good.</p>

<p>Noticed that the damage Citgo gas station on the corner of 15th and McFarland will not be coming back…which is good because that spot could help expand Midtown Village…a gas station shouldn’t be on that corner anyway. Much of the damage there has been cleared away.</p>

<p>And… :slight_smile: I guess Taco Casa on 15th did sustain enough damage to still be closed…lol</p>

<p>The McDonalds complete demolition is complete and it’s now an empty lot.</p>

<p>And…Roosters is going into the place where the old Cafe Venice was. The sign says it will be a jazz place.</p>

<p>We loved Mugshots too! I had the McDonald burger with an appetizer of wings. Will for sure be going back!</p>

<p>I don’t think I know where downtown is. I think I’ve been to the strip with pita pit and bento japanese, right? I was on McFarland and saw Full Moon(will they rebuild or relocate?). Where is downtown in relation to these places? I really need to get down and explore although it sounds a little hot to do a lot of exploring. After a really hot&humid (for CT) 2 weeks we can finally shut the ac off today.</p>

<p>Downtown…</p>

<p>If you were to continue west on University (passing the Strip and going away from the campus), you would go several blocks, cross Queen City Blvd, and then come upon Downtown. Downtown has been renovated (some is still being renovated). There is a new Federal Courthouse going in there. City buildings are there and the County Courthouse. </p>

<p>Mellow Mushroom, De Palma’s Italian, Mugshots, Epiphany, BROWNS CORNER PIANO BAR & GRILL, and some other restaurants are located. The new jazz place is going in there.</p>

<p>Downtown is just a mile or so down Univ Blvd. When you hit Greensboro ave you’ve reached “downtown”.</p>

<p>Shamrock, the McDonald burger is my favorite too. Give me one of those, an order of fried pickles, and a Yuengling or 3 and I’m in heaven :-)</p>

<p>Bump…</p>

<p>FYI…there’s a new FIG (Food Is Good) now in Downtown…(per Robotbldmom’s recent visit.) It sounds like it is in the area that is north of DePalma’s Italian.</p>

<p>Has anyone been to the new casual Greek place in Midtown Village?</p>

<p>And, has anyone heard if any restaurants are going in around the RiverWalk? I think that would be great.</p>

<p>and…P.F. Changs did contact me and say that they are looking into putting one in T-town…and also a Pei Wei. :)</p>

<p>^ As a huge aficianado of Greek food, I too would be interested in reviews of the new Greek place.</p>

<p>Of course, no one makes spanikopita like my DH, but that’s another story. :D</p>

<p>Taziki’s is the Mediterranean place in Midtown, and it is FABULOUS! Well at least I think so. I sincerely hope that Pei Wei comes to ttown, we need more Asian food places. P.F. Changs is great and I love them, but it is rather expensive for most college students.</p>

<p>F.I.G. in Downtown Tuscaloosa is their second location
Located between Velocity Bike and the German Bakery (Edelweiss) in Temmerson Square</p>

<p>Address 2322 4th street, Tuscaloosa, AL 35401 </p>

<p>The service and the food were both very good.·</p>

<p>Goodish news about PF Chang’s and Pei Wei. I think as long as the national economy does not slag too much, you will see more businesses (including restaurants) come to Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>Yes, it was good news to hear that the company is researching T-town.</p>

<p>I wrote to:</p>

<p>PF Changs/Pei Wei
Cheesecake Factory
Carino’s
Steak n Shake
Cheddars
Chuy’s
and a few more that I can’t think of right now. lol</p>

<p>For anyone who’s interested…if you go to a restaurants’ websites’ contact info, there is usually the means to send an email about such requests. Include your own contact info (beyond email addy) and request a response back. </p>

<p>Include info about the growth in T-town, the university’s growth, the frequency of out of town travelers to the area, etc.</p>

<p>Also, feel free to suggest particular areas…such as…Downtown, Midtown Village, RiverWalk area (which is going to see tremendous growth now that those pricey Condos sold the moment they went on the market)</p>

<p>Chuy’s please! As much as I like iguana grill, Chuy’s is a fantastic TexMex restaurant, and it would be so fabulous to have a place to go that can do it right. They should really build one - think of all the Texans like me who are displaced from our normal sources of good TexMex! They would be extremely popular.</p>

<p>Then send a request to…</p>

<p>Ashley Ingle
Director of Marketing
1623 Toomey Rd
Austin, TX, 78704
<a href="mailto:aingle@chuys.com">aingle@chuys.com</a></p>

<p>Michael Hatcher
VP of Real Estate and Development
1623 Toomey Road
Austin, TX, 78704
<a href="mailto:mhatcher@chuys.com">mhatcher@chuys.com</a></p>