Bama bound questions

<p>Are all parts of bama bound orientation mandatory? Is it possible to have time to do things with parents such as eat off campus, etc. Or are you pretty much booked the whole time? How does the college session thing on Day 1 work? Does each person get a scheduled time?</p>

<p>Are all parts of bama bound orientation mandatory? Is it possible to have time to do things with parents such as eat off campus, etc. </p>

<hr>

<p>Well, no one is going to tie you to your chairs. lol If you wanted to eat off campus and skip something, you could do that.</p>

<hr>

<p>How does the college session thing on Day 1 work? Does each person get a scheduled time?</p>

<hr>

<p>Not sure what you’re talking about on Day 1. On Day 2 students register for their classes. </p>

<p>Each person doesn’t get his own scheduled time to register. There will be hundreds of kids there. I think kids are scheduled in groups by their major.</p>

<p>Is there individual advising, or is that done in groups by major?</p>

<p>Since there are hundreds of kids there, and only a short time to register (an hour or two), advising is not done on a student by student basis. That’s done in later semesters…except for engineering which is done by discipline in groups. Since engineering classes are so sequenced individual counseling is usually only needed in regards to minors, second majors, etc. </p>

<p>So, advising is done by major/group at BB. Advisors do sign off on each student’s course list. There are advisors walking around the computers during the actual computer registration time to answer individual questions. Registration is usually on Day 2 at around 11 am.</p>

<p>I have a friend that I hvent seen in a while since I moved up north and it just so happens that friend will be passing through tuscaloosa in the afternoon. I don’t want to miss anything extremely important but I also want to see my friend. My friend has to leave around 6pm. What exactly is “college visit 1” on the schedule? Around what time do you think I would be done with the important stuff on day 1?</p>

<p>college visit 1 is when you meet with the College of your major. So, if you’re a Bio major, you would been with the College of Arts and Sciences. </p>

<p>If you’re attending an Honors session, then if you went to the Honors open house at 2pm and stayed for a short time, then you’d have some time to visit with your friend before she leaves at 6 pm. </p>

<p>don’t miss the pool party or the later get-togethers in the Game Room in Ridgecrest South.</p>

<p>So the college visit 1 thing isn’t a specific time thing like the advising sessions? The open house and college visit 1 are just kind of things people do in their own time?</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Looks like I may miss out by staying at a hotel!</p>

<p>Just my two cents for what it is worth, I would advise students not to plan to miss out on things at BB. I understand about wanting to visit with old friends or eat off campus, but BB if really designed for the students for a reason. I really don’t mean to hammer anyone over the head about it, but it is optional for parents…not so much for students. Last year advising was done as a group during the college visits.</p>

<p>And lattelady, you can hang out at RCS all you want so that you don’t have to miss out on anything. There is a meeting room with a television and plenty of seating in the lobby on the left. It would be a great place for parents to hang out for a while and get to know each other.</p>

<p>latte…</p>

<p>During some previous years, parents have hung out at the bar in the Hotel Capstone. The pool party and the game room get-togethers in RCS are for the students.</p>

<p>I wasn’t worried about missing the pool party but the games sounded fun. The bar sounds more like what I would expect from this crowd. :)</p>

<p>^^^Agree, with M2CK, parents go have a relaxing, quiet drink at the Hotel Capstone Bar or plan a “Meet and Greet” at Five if you like a livelier atmosphere.</p>

<p>Oh yes…organizing a meet and greet at Five would be a great idea. I would call ahead and see if Five could set aside some tables for that.</p>