Bama bound & sorority question!

<p>I’m not sure if either of these has already been address, but I just have two questions. First, I wanted to know if there were any cons to attendng the last Bama Bound session. I live 23 hours away and I’m going down to visit at the end of March, so that, plus Bama Bound, plus another trip to move in is way too much. I was thinking about attending the last one so I could just move in after. Does this mean I will have the leftover classes to pick since everyone else has alreay picked previously?</p>

<p>Second question, what would I do for recs if I don’t know any alumni? I know maybe two girls in sororities, but they are current students so that wouldn’t work. I genuinely don’t think I know ANYONE who was in a sorority, so I’m really worried. What do I do? I am going to panhellenic weekend next month but I just wanted to get a little info ahead of tme.</p>

<p>Thanks so much! (:</p>

<p>deannaa - re: sororities

1. ask the two girls you know who are in sororities who wrote their recs (not just for the sorority they pledged, but for all of them) - you might know those same people.
  2. ask moms of your friends, teachers, co-workers of parents, people at church etc. I think you will be surprised.
  3. are any of your high school classmates going through recruitment anywhere this year? They might share their list.
  4. Where are you from? - many cities have a Panhellenic Association made up of alumni from the various sororities. They are often of great assistance and will make sure girls get recs.
  5. My sorority (and I’m sure others) will allow alums to write a rec for someone they have not met. It is clearly marked on the form that the alum does not know the PNM. But honestly, at a place as competetive as Bama that type of rec might not carry much weight with most houses.</p>

<p>It’s going to take some time and effort to find some alums, but I bet you will find some if you keep digging! Good luck and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Start looking for recommendations at school. Many teachers at our local school were in a sorority. When D pledged her house she got 5 emails from staff members congratulating her on joining her sorority! So fun since we really had to work to get the recommendations!</p>

<p>Keep asking people. We ended up getting about 12 recommendations after we attended a block party. Once I asked one person, they knew another… that really helped. Since we are OOS and only one school has a competitvive rush like the schools in the SEC, one of the block party moms now has a master list!</p>

<p>I would agree with everyone posting…ask, ask, ask…ask friends to ask friends. We were also OOS and had to work hard to find recs. My 2nd D was in a house but that particular house is not at Bama…thankfully her network of friends helped. I would also ask parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and close family friends to inquire at their work place. We were told to add a personal letter written by the person writing the rec. The person who told us this was an alumnae of UA and she said her house in particular liked that sort of thing and found it informative. When we asked people to fill out a rec we also asked for a letter and provided them with my D’s personal information…in some cases including an example of what we were looking for. Just a thought…Do you have an Alabama shirt? We actually got a rec while shopping in J Crew! No kidding…a woman came up and explained she went to Bama and had been in a sorority there and asked my D if she was going through recruitment. She offered to write her a rec and we exchanged email info and addresses right there! We also have a fairly active UA Alumni group that gets together and hold football watch parties at a local pub…you might see if you can locate such a group by where you live and ask if anyone involved has Greek affiliations and would be willing to write you a rec. Good Luck! Roll Tide :)</p>