Bama Bound tips?

Each of the branches of engineering at UA has its own mandatory introductory course (usually 1 credit hour), so that students can see if that major is of interest to them by giving an overview. Yours is a very specific question that the professors and student-advisors in attendance at BB probably would not have been able to answer for you - this is because they are equipped to answer questions about what to register for as incoming freshmen…but not to advise students on the what-ifs later on in a course of study. The answer to your question probably depends on at what point your student changes from CHE to ME. It is probably best to talk with an actual advisor in the COE, and your student can find them here: http://students.eng.ua.edu/advising/ . I’m speculating that in order to waive the ME 121 course (after having completed the CHE 125 course, semester 1), the advisor would want to have a face-to-face convo with the student and discuss this in some depth. But that’s just my speculation.

Thank you for the link, that helps a bunch! My son sent his advisor the ChemE/MechE question. On a positive note, my son loved the beautiful campus, friendly people and facilities; he will have an amazing 4 years at the University of Alabama!

We got a response back from the advisor within 10 minutes! Very impressive! :slight_smile:

Back from BB too. Was very worried about 5,000 engineering students and just five advisors. They said about 10x to be sure to see your advisors EARLY before picking classes each time around…great. Make sure your student prioritizes. My son thought that math was most important so grabbed those as soon as he sat down at the computer in the session. Many students were still waiting around and waiting on instruction but he wasted no time…yes he did say that classes were disappearing before his eyes…that’s true…perhaps you want to prioritize science or just whatever…just have a plan of which to grab first. One young lady had the class #s already written down where she didn’t have to search but just plugged them in. Watch distances between classes. My son had to settle for some that were 10 min apart…he had no other choices so grabbed them.

Bring raingear. umbrella and jacket…I would’ve loved my galoshes as some puddles were deep when they walked us WAAAY across campus to get our engineering talk.

Come to the fair EARLY…it was packed later where you couldn’t even get to the front of the booths and you know how people are when there are free goodies.

I brought a shawl with me to the sessions as Ferguson was just ice cold especially the ball room.

^ This is very sound advice. Have priorities + have if-then plans (‘if I can’t get this, then I choose this instead’). This is exactly what you need to do: pick what is your most important class and grab that first. Have the CRNs listed down, as the young lady did. Use this interactive map to find where courses are: http://tour.ua.edu/map/ . If you have back-to-back classes, understand that you can probably never stay late/arrive early to ask questions of professors, or have time to print off last-minute projects en route.

In subsequent semesters, much of the engineering students’ advising is actually done online. Advisors send out emails to students several times, reminding them of appointments, online advising, and drop-in advising options. This is not like high school - do not think that 1000 students are all trying to see 1 person about courses to get them approved. I’m guessing <20% actually sit down face-to-face, and most do online or during drop-ins. Advisors lift all course holds once a student had met with an advisor (either in person or online). Just guessing on the <20% tho. Engineering advising is NOT an issue, is what I’m really saying! :wink: As each semester passes, your student will need less and less advising, especially if they are just following the course flowcharts. Degree Works is a huge help for many who plan 2 majors, minors, co-ops and other things going on…

Some very good info here. DS only had one AP he was going to use, at this point, but UA changed the requirement for some students, so looks like he will have to take that now.

On a positive note, he should have no problem following the flow chart for the 4 years! :slight_smile:

Is that the history AP classes @laralei? I had heard that as well that suddenly higher AP test scores are needed for ALL the history APs and this was put out AFTER everyone took their AP History exams thinking they only needed 3s.

Many of UA’s academic colleges will only have a small number of employees with the title of advisor, but have professors and some administrative staff do advising as well.

" Is that the history AP classes @laralei? I had heard that as well that suddenly higher AP test scores are needed for ALL the history APs and this was put out AFTER everyone took their AP History exams thinking they only needed 3s."

Yes, it was. What bugs me is that some parents are reporting their kids DID get credit with a 3. The one mom called to make sure it was valid and was told that anybody who sent them in before UA decided to change it would get the credit, but after the change you wouldn’t.

I REALLY don’t understand that at all. ??? I could see putting it into effect for the 2015/2016 school year, but by the month? Not fair and simply doesn’t make any sense.

Tips for students attending Bama Bound:

Pack a swimsuit and participate in Rexpo. Playing human battleship is a great way to break the ice and make new friends or at least practice the important social skills of meeting new people.

Hold the door for the person behind you. It’s good manners and that’s expected in the South.

Refrain from telling everyone you meet that you only came for the scholarships even if you did.

Prepare ahead with several potential schedules. Walk your schedule before you leave if your schedule is tight.

Upload your immunization form and your ACT card photo before you leave home.

Hold off on buying textbooks if you are attending an early session. Textbooks are prone to change.

Enjoy your visit.

If your student plans to participate in Rexpo and you are under 19, make sure your parents sign the waiver. Your student will have it at the beginning of day 1 - ask for it and sign it so you don’t forget. If your student will be going alone to Bama bound, this might be online. If it isn’t I would contact the rec center and ask them to email a copy. I am not sure if the waiver is needed for everything. I do know it is needed to climb the rock wall.

That is so unfair. One of the reasons we chose UA was because of all of the AP credits. Luckily she sent her scores long ago, but I would pitch a fit if I my kid didn’t get credit and kids from the same incoming class did.

UA will occasionally place students who earned college credit through dual enrollment in earlier catalogs, which might be the reason why some students are reporting getting credit with 3s.

Are you saying dual enrollment kids who also got 3’s on their AP tests get the credit, but AP test only don’t?

The catalog listing the courses and the AP scores just changed recently, maybe within the past month or so. I sent DS’s AP tests in last Thursday, and Collegeboard still showed 3’s for the ones that UA are no longer honoring.

Of course, maybe Collegeboard isn’t on top of changes like they should be?

@laralei I think anyone who is due to get their scores back in a month or so has a good argument that their scores of a 3 should count since other incoming students were allowed the credits with 3s.

For students who took the test in previous years there should be no argument that everyone who got a 3 gets the credits. One person sending their scores in during April, etc. should not be any different than someone sending them in during May (or later).

Take time to enjoy some really good food while in town.

Try Archibald and Woodrow’s for the best wings you’ve ever eaten. These wings are the perfect mix of spicy, tangy, and a hint of sweet…not buffalo style. Order extra crispy and extra wet 'cause you’re gonna want to dip your french fries in the sauce! 4215 Greensboro Avenue, Tuscaloosa. Warning…it’s a small hole in the wall. Order at the table or place an order to go at the counter.

Visit Nick’s Filet House aka Nick’s in the Sticks for a mouth-watering steak. FYI…go early and expect a wait, but its well worth it. 4018 Culver Road, Tuscaloosa. Just head West down 15th Street (Highway 11) and stop at the hole in the wall on the right. Large crowds gather out front daily. I believe they open at 4:30, so go early for a shorter wait.

A great place to eat near campus is T Town Cafe, but they close at 3:30, so make plans ahead. It’s just off Hackberry near the railroad tracks in the shopping center 500 14th Street (behind the Sunbeam Bakery. Everything from fresh veggies to burgers, Alabama pond raised catfish filets, sandwiches, and daily specials fit for Sunday dinner. Closed on Saturday. There’s plenty of seating indoors and out. Order at the counter and choose your seating.

For the best barbecue around check out Robertson Barbecue in Ralph. Take a leisurely drive down Highway 11 or hop on I-20 West and head to Fosters, Alabama (about a 30 minute drive) to Robertson Barbecue in Ralph. “You can smell their butts for a country mile.” That’s their slogan…not my words. :slight_smile: Turn off Highway 11 onto Ralph Loop Road. It’s on the right just across the bridge. The menu includes pulled pork barbecue, ribs, smoked wings, chicken, etc., and sides.

Next stop is Diamond Jim’s in Livingston. 440 AL-28, Livingston, AL 35470

Eat local and enjoy!