Bama Bound

<p>Hi,
I was wondering how many parents attend the Bama Bound program? Did you send your child alone or go with them?
Thanks.</p>

<p>we re going with our son. It will be the first time we will see the campus. And we want to be able to help with registration etc…</p>

<p>We are going with our daughter June 11th and 12th. We want to go to the parents orientation and help with registration too and basically just enjoy being there. </p>

<p>Karen</p>

<p>I’m going with my D. My husband went with her when she visited, so it’s my turn. I’m sure she won’t want my help with registration, but I’m old enough to rent a car and chauffeur her between campus and BHM, so I can serve a useful purpose and see the campus as a bonus. I’m planning to stay in the dorms, attend parent orientation and with any luck meet some CC parents!</p>

<p>Re: parental help with registration, don’t be disappointed, but parents are not present for either registration or advising. Students are grouped by college and see advisors during these breakouts, and actual registration is done without parents as well.</p>

<p>For my D, we followed her to the C&BA college into a large divided auditorium. Parents sat in back and students and advisors down below. Looking at the parents, it was a struggle for many of them to not be able to communicate with their kids. For me, I was actually relieved not to be involved, and it was the first time actually seeing them advocate for themselves.</p>

<p>*We are going with our daughter June 11th and 12th. We want to go to the parents orientation and help with registration too and basically just enjoy being there. *</p>

<p>Technically you can’t be there during registration. However, you can still “help”. :)</p>

<p>Before you go, help your child make a grid schedule with several options of classes. Come up with Plan A, B, and C. Write down the CRN numbers.</p>

<p>Then during registration time, you can actually log in and register the “hard to get” classes.</p>

<p>What classes are considered “hard to get” for incoming freshmen?</p>

<p>Any sort of upper level classes (200, 300, or 400 level) are going to be hard for freshmen to get into, simply because all of the upperclassmen have registered already. However, if a class is full, you can always try emailing a professor directly and asking if they could open up an extra space for you. That worked for me multiple times during my freshman year.</p>

<p>Beth’s mom - sounds like us 2 years ago, WOW how time flies.</p>

<p>DH said I should go so I’d see for myself how great it was - like I was going to miss out again, think not; he got to do the tour. Just like you, I was the useful “tag along” rental car driver, P O box securer and generally the one who checked out the stuff he wouldn’t have thought of. Also stayed in dorms, nice experience, 3 lovely suitemates. </p>

<p>For all the “school” stuff, did he need me? No – But he did like that I was there to share with when we saw eachother.</p>

<p>My D and I will both be there on June 11 and 12th. I wouldn’t miss it just to get another opportunity to see the campus. I would love to meet up with any CC folks who will also be there then.</p>

<p>*What classes are considered “hard to get” for incoming freshmen?
*</p>

<p>As mentioned about, upper division courses…but also courses at the most desirable times or with the more popular profs. And, some of the most popular Honors courses fill more quickly.</p>

<p>I thought honors students have priority registration. How does that work?</p>

<p>Honors students don’t have priority for first semester freshman year.</p>

<p>The only priority fall frosh Honors kids have is that honors BBs are held first, so technically that is a “priority” over the others.</p>

<p>How do we schedule our classes when we will still be pending AP exam results?</p>

<p>I look forward to meeting all of you there!! Thanks for the responses.</p>

<h1>How do we schedule our classes when we will still be pending AP exam</h1>

<p>You’re allowed to assume that you’ve gotten the needed score. But, if you feel that you didn’t do well, or want to take a class again, go ahead and don’t move ahead.</p>

<p>Do most parents stay on campus or in hotels? </p>

<p>If staying on campus, is there parking?</p>

<p>I don’t know what most parents do, but I’m staying in the dorms. There is parking on campus; we got a parking permit (at least that’s what I think itwas) with our Bama Bound materials.</p>

<p>if you are one kid and one parent, it is probably cheaper to stay in the dorm. if you bring two parents, a hotel is better. it is good for the kids to stay in the dorm.</p>