Bama here we come!

<p>We loaded up some of the larger things in DD’s boyfriend’s family’s 15-passenger minivan. They’ll arrive on campus 3 hours after us tomorrow.</p>

<p>Got all the last-minutes stuff done today and stuffed two cars full of DD’s stuff. It actually took less space than I expected. And much less time to load the cars than I thought. Mainly because I packed the stuff in, instead of letting DH do it.</p>

<p>You’d think an electrical/computer engineering person would be better at packing things into a car than he is! Good thing DD and I are better at seeing how things should fit together and in what order they should go in!</p>

<p>After all the stuff that’s in the cars, I can’t believe how much she’s still leaving behind in her room. Her best friend called earlier today to check on how many boxes and bags of stuff DD had. They both felt better after talking to each other that they were bringing similar amounts of stuff!</p>

<p>Then there’s the boyfriend, who’s probably taking 1/10th the amount of stuff DD is, except for maybe about 10 times the amount of food for the dorm room!</p>

<p>We’ll be out the door about 8 tomorrow morning, scheduled to arrive at RSN at 11 AM!</p>

<p>I’m glad to hear that y’all are arriving in Tuscaloosa and are ready for the upcoming school year.</p>

<p>As for myself, I’ve shipped my 3rd and final box to Paty and am in the process of choosing which clothes to bring. I leave on Friday the 19th for a late night tour of the US and its airports before arriving in Tuscaloosa late Saturday morning (which reminds me that I still need to book an airport shuttle or find a friend to pick me up at the airport.)</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Arriving in T-town on Thursday has been great for us as well. Although we thought we had finished our shopping, you’re never really done. We could keep going, but it is what it is and I’m sure she’ll be fine. Got her p.o. box. as well. </p>

<p>We’re loving eating our way through here. Being from Hawaii, almost every place is new to us. We had dinner last night at Mellow Mushroom and LOVED it! Lunch yesterday was 5 Guys for D and H and Chipotle for myself. Yum! We walked around the strip last night, went to TCBY, then called it a night. We’ve got an EARLY move in. 8:00 a.m. at Ridgecrest West.</p>

<p>We need a new dinner place for tonight. The possibilities are endless! Oh, and we love Panera. Really wish we had one of those back home!</p>

<p>Roll Tide. Hey, did you know there’s only 21 days till football?</p>

<p>Tick-tock … 20 minutes until we head over to move in!!! Nervous excitement all around. :)</p>

<p>Roll tide!!!</p>

<p>Sea-Tide where are you from?</p>

<p>My son has two big suitcases with him, as he is attending a conference in Phoenix before heading to T-Town mid-week. One of his roommates moved into their place in the Bluffs yesterday. It’s good that he’s settled, because they will need to go and get the rest of my son’s stuff from his storage place.</p>

<p>Meanwhile, I need to ship a box or two. We have some food stuffs in our local grocery store that my son loves but cannot get in T-Town.</p>

<p>BamaMom2Be, I hear ya! My left-brain-dominant husband can never pack stuff into the car efficiently. Yet I can, even though I was born without a left brain. Go figure!</p>

<p>BAMAMom2Be, I’m so glad you said that about the difference between the amount of guy stuff and girl stuff. My son is obviously on the minimalist plan, but he also has a large tub full of Trader Joe treats for the dorm room:-)</p>

<p>Thanks to ya’ll for the play-by-play. DS and I start our transcontinental drive next week. He and I are both super excited, but I suspect that only one of us will be crying Monday the 22nd…</p>

<p>Hit Target this morning around 9:30 and it was a zoo. Can’t imagine what it will be like next week. Sitar’s for lunch. They have a great buffet for $9 with tax, with a lot of selections for vegetarians. I highly recommend it. Target this evening less far more relaxed. Back to the dorm tonight to help son get organized and hang some pictures. He is the only one in his suite until next week.</p>

<p>Update 4: D’s all moved in. UA was so efficient, a whole crew to unload our cars and cart everything to the room. I didn’t have to lift a finger. Then unpacking, building book cases, groceries, and done … What took All DAY? Shes hanging with her new roomies tonight … We hit the ORIGINAL Dreamland old place in t-town, so different and cooler than Northport new. Tomorrow = breakfast, the Supe, then goodbyes and OH that drive back to Chi-town. Good day, good night and Roll Tide!</p>

<p>vlines, I’m from the Seattle area.</p>

<p>As momreads mentioned, it’s a good idea to pack ones favorite foods that aren’t available in Tuscaloosa.</p>

<p>Both of my sons spent the day volunteering at Tut helping with move-in. My new Freshman arrived last night and was able to get in his Ridgecrest suite since older son moved back on campus from the Bluffs last week. </p>

<p>My Freshman son had not even finished unpacking himself before spending the day helping the ladies move in. He got reassigned to “Greeter” as the day went on due to his loose bandage on the two day old stitches on his hand. </p>

<p>The boy has his priorities in order! : )</p>

<p>I moved in today as well. 7 hr drive from Savannah to TTown. Checked in around 1, went to lunch at 2, then spent the ENTIRE rest of the day unpacking. Course i was by myself and it was blazing hot outside. Also, I happen to be on the 3rd floor in the only Bluff building with no elevator. And it appears to have no wired ethernet. Finally to round out my complaint list, I got bit by a spider and didn’t get any awesome powers, only a swelling bump :frowning: :frowning: Oh well, I’m happy to be back in town!</p>

<p>The Move In crew rocks! My husband thought he’d be carrying in everything, but he also didn’t have to lift a finger. The girls found out that being from Hawaii does bring them some attention. I’ve had such a wonderful time here these last few days. Lots of tears right now, but I wouldn’t change a thing. She’s in good hands at Bama. Roll Tide, y’all! Thank you to everyone’s advice over this last year. It’s been invaluable!!!</p>

<p>I’ll try to post an update tomorrow. Everything went very well today, but DH and I are back home now, and I’m trying not to burst into tears every time I think about DD.</p>

<p>She’s happy and excited, and ready for this next stage of her life, but momma is sad and missing her baby girl already!</p>

<p>WOW, what awesome reports, y’all!!</p>

<p>I’m a little worried about the multiple reports of mob scenes at Target. I was at our local Target yesterday, and it was calm and orderly as can be, LOL. As I walked around the back-to-college aisles, I kept seeing stuff I wanted to buy, but then I’d remind myself, “It won’t fit in the car. It won’t fit in the car. We’ll just wait till we get to Tuscaloosa and get it there.” But, if Tar-zhay’s shelves are bare by the time we get there, then…maybe not. LOL. Well, DS is a minimalist, too, like NMx’s son, so as long as we have the basic necessities, all will be well.</p>

<p>Glad everyone has arrived safely. So sorry about the spider bite, Mesquite Girl! And too bad about those super powers, LOL. </p>

<p>Roll tide!</p>

<p>Just wanted to remind everyone that there is a special Target night scheduled during the Week of Welcome. If you forget something or cannot fit it in the car, your student will have a chance to pick it up that night. The store restocks just for the students, and it is open to the students only. My son and his roommates have gone the past two years … and they had everything they needed. But, they got enough free liquid soap to clean dishes for half of the school year.</p>

<p>LadyD … Target had tons of big stuff left, shelves, garbage cans, mini-frig, etc. The stuff that was sold out by last night was curtain rods, 3m sticky tape stuff, etc. That being said, with the bigger move in weekend coming next week, you know they’ll need to restock. :)</p>

<p>Just a quick note. There is a Walmart and Home Depot or Lowes in Northport.
Just stay on McFarland about 1 1/2 miles or 2 from campus. Doesn’t get as crazy as the Tuscaloosa stores!</p>

<p>Target Night is Monday, August 22nd. I think it starts at 10pm. They’ll restock all the stuff that college kids need :slight_smile: And for the kids without cars, there are special buses that run from UA to Target & back all night.</p>