Bama here we come!

<p>Our son got his checklist at a floor meeting with the RA’s Saturday night.</p>

<p>My son is in RSNT and got his checklist at his meeting Saturday night with the RA.</p>

<p>He also mentioned the lack of hot water. He said it warm. That was on saturday night. Not sure how he made out Sunday or today, haven’t heard from him.</p>

<p>hokiefan, My son is also in RSNT (he is on the 5th floor). He hasn’t mentioned any problem with hot water. I had the impression each suite had its own water heater.</p>

<p>D is in Riverside East. She’s working on the work order right now, so hopefully it will get resolved soon. I’m thinking each suite must have two water heaters since one bath has water and one doesn’t. Maybe it is as simple as a circuit breaker that got tripped during the tornado. </p>

<p>On another note, she had fun at the first workday for AA!! And she still love UA!!! RTR!!!</p>

<p>My son is on the third floor. He didn’t mention that the water was cold just that it was warm and not hot. He is busy with the band so I don’t know when I might hear from him to see if he even tried to get it fixed.</p>

<p>Well, we made it home safe and sound. I had a few more tears at the airport, but since I got home and was able to Skype with D and I saw how happy she is, I’m done. No more tears. AA is going well, except she got paint in her hair and on her new Tempos. She’s meeting lots of new people and really enjoying herself. Sounds like they have a lot of fun activities planned for them, in addition to the work they’re doing.</p>

<p>Thanks for the link for online work orders. D said her toilet constantly runs. She was going to get it taken care of yesterday, but if she didn’t I’ll share this with her.</p>

<p>Wow, how did we miss $4 mirrors in our millions of trips to Target? We paid $20 for one at Bed Bath and Beyond. I’m thinking now that that place is overpriced. I wish that wasn’t our first stop. Oh, well.</p>

<p>Some things that you may want to pick up that don’t take up a lot of room are cables. We got the last USB printer cable at Target. They’ll probably restock, but just in case. They were running low on HDMI cables. They also recommend that you have an ethernet cable, because apparently the wifi can be spotty. We also needed to pick up one of those cables that goes from the cable outlet in the wall into your TV. Also, if you have a smart TV or Blu-Ray player, pick up an ethernet cable for that. That way you don’t have to rely on the wifi.</p>

<p>The only thing that we weren’t able to get at Target was a step stool. D put her bed in the highest position, so she decided she’d like a step stool. Those were gone. We got a foot rest instead and it works fine, but keep that in mind if you’re going to have your bed up. You can always use the end to climb, so it’s not a total necessity.</p>

<p>I’ve enjoyed reading about everybody else’s move-in experiences on here, so thanks for sharing. Aloha, and Roll Tide!!!</p>

<p>This may not be the case next week, but the parking garage between the dorms and the Ferg was open all weekend and we used it everyday without any problem. While the move-in program was active, we had to enter on the North side rather than on the South side.</p>

<p>Final Update: we’ve arrived home this afternoon and are waiting on pins and needles to hear from D how first day of AA went. She was so excited last night … She’ll be painting the gym and working with the kids during their gym time. I figure that after today the rest of the week goes pretty much the same. She said she met some great AAers yesterday.</p>

<p>Back from Bama move in (via a stop in Blioxi for a night)! Just got in a bit ago. Very easy move in. Was able to meeti D’s roommate (Cuttlefish123 and her family - super nice people). Drove in from Texas on Saturday, moved D in, picked up her books at Supestore, picked up package at Paty, went to dinner at Mugshots, went to Target, went to Best Buy and to the hotel. Was asleep by 9!!! Very long drive and long day. But would not change anything about it.
D was really happy and her roommates were extremely nice too!</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>Just got back myself, flight was cancelled due to mucho rain on the East Coast. The weekend was fun. No issues, move in went smooth, they really didn’t even need me. Did a second Walmart run for some food and cleaning supplies. Room mates seem very nice. Supe store was empty. Lots of storage in the bathroom. I bought the plastic drawers for under the bed, but one of them isn’t even being used. S did not bring a ton of clothes, I think when it gets colder it will fill up with sweaters & sweatshirts. I was looking for a Bama sweatshirt for myself, they all told me to check back in Sept. I have specific requirments- grey, 100% cotton and smallish logo. I almost bought the one in the supe store but it was less than 50% cotton. I like at least 80-90 if it can’t be 100%. I may have to buy online. A lot of stores & restaurants were closed on Sunday.</p>

<p>We did Dreamland and DelPalmas. I really liked Delpalma’s.</p>

<p>I can’t wait to see the campus full of students, I saw busloads of sorority girls in their sundresses around campus, they looked so cute. Or girls with their Nike tempo shorts. That was pretty much it, if you weren’t in a sundress it was the shorts with a big tee. That was interesting to see as girls don’t wear athletic type shorts around here & tend to wear more form fitting clothes.</p>

<p>Roll Tide!</p>

<p>idinct, it’s very rare to find gray sweatshirts in 100% cotton. I used to know the reason (something about the yarns used to make grays and heathers), but I’ve forgotten it; it was pretty technical anyway. You can find 'em in 80/20 cotton/poly; that’s usually about as cotton-rich as grays and heathers get. </p>

<p>Sorry; just a side-note…</p>

<p>SO I guess I need to do my journal entry too LOL!! It took us 12 hours to get down from Kansas, we were stuck on the Memphis bridge for an hour! Other than that uneventful. We stayed at the Ramada, which I thought for $35 a night (Hotwire) was surprisingly nice, I would stay there again at that rate.</p>

<p>Check in was unbelievably organized! Target, Walmart, and Sam’s were packed like Christmas, but all had extra help from other area stores, and it was smooth. Met 2 of 3 roommates, SUPER NICE!! The father of one helped D and I get the Bed unstuck, (took a rubber mallet, screwdriver and 3 of us, but we did it!) Ate at Dreamland, different from KC BBQ, but still yum! Saw more Nike Tempo shorts in one day than we have seen in our whole lives, not being one to follow the crowd D says she is only going to use hers for the gym now ROFL! </p>

<p>Went to church Sunday, and everyone was SOOOOO nice! A super nice grad student, his wife, and their darling 3 year old had us over for lunch (no, we didn’t know them before this) they will “adopt” my daughter while she is there, and I feel totally comfortable she will have a local support group.</p>

<p>Got to meet Mrs Batson before I left, what a SWEETHEART!! I truly I feel totally comfortable being 12 hours away from my D. Everyone we met on campus and off was as nice and helpful as possible.</p>

<p>D must have watched too many Gilmore Girls episodes because she wanted me to stay and bunk in her room for a while. There were no tears, but it was still a little hard leaving. I know she is in the right place and is going to have and AWESOME 4 years!! ROLL TIDE!!!</p>

<p>Wow, Nicollec, what a great report! </p>

<p>How do beds get stuck? That’s something I hadn’t anticipated!</p>

<p>Thanks for the Ramada tip! We’re booked at Best Western / Northport – I thought we were getting a deal at $63 / night (Hotwire), but $35 sounds muy better. Will know for future reference. How close is the Ramada to campus?</p>

<p>The bed portion “hooks” onto the frame and posts. So it is helpful to have a rubber mallet to push up on the bed part to “unhook” it from the frame. That way you can loft or unloft the bed. HTH</p>

<p>^ Thanks! Never thought of bringing a rubber mallet, LOL!</p>

<p>Bring the rubber mallet;)
Yes, our frame was so bent it took quite a bit of “manpower” to unbend it, and we didn’t have a man LOL! Thank Heavens for the roommate’s dad because they told us it would be 2 days before maintenance could get to it. Another hint on the bed, all the frames in D’s suite were upside down so they appeared to not loft very high, turn it over and viola! D put her dresser and a cozy reading chair under there, she said it’s like a fort! Guess they will never truly grow up.</p>

<p>Didn’t occur to us to bring a mallet either. It took a few swift kicks to release the bedframe part from the headboard/footboard posts to change the height of DD’s bed in Riverside West. We then realized with the bed elevated she could not use the wall as a backrest to sit up and read or use the laptop because of the space between wall and bed caused by the baseboards and thickness of the bedposts. At Target we secured a body pillow and another pillow – to go with the other two pillows from home – for her to use to fill the gap.</p>

<p>A different reminder…take out renter’s insurance. We found it less expensive to take out renter’s insurance for my son’s dorm belongings rather than decreasing our deductible on our homeowner’s insurance.</p>

<p>^^^ Wasn’t there also a post on here recently about Dorm Room Insurance, which could be some kind of take off on Renters insurance? I thought I read something about it last week?</p>

<p>This is the place to buy insurance for the dorm rooms. Extremely affordable and only a $25 deductible, and it also includes accidental damage for PC’s and phones.
[CSI</a> College Student Insurance - Instant Quote](<a href=“http://www.collegestudentinsurance.com/]CSI”>http://www.collegestudentinsurance.com/)</p>