Bama marketing outreach ... then and now?

<p>We had an interesting experience the other day. ThirdToGo received a mailing from Bama. He’s a strong student with excellent test scores so the mailing makes sense. What I thought was interesting is Bama marketing to students here. We live in one of the most liberal towns in one of the most liberal states … in the dreaded north … and within spitting distance of tons of top schools … essentially the toughest sell for Bama out there. I do not know what marketing emails each of my kids received but I’m pretty sure ThirdToGo is the first to receive snail mail marketing info from Bama. FirstToGo, who was an even stronger student, did not receive snail mail marketing 6-7 years ago. </p>

<p>From my limited viewpoint it seems Bama is all in all across the country. What are you all experiencing?</p>

<p>60% of all freshmen last Fall were from out of state!</p>

<p>Well over 50% of incoming freshman at Bama last year were from out of state. There are students there from all over the country, including liberal northeastern and west coast states. We’re in the midwest, and we found Alabama before Alabama found us (back when UA rising junior daughter was a HS sophomore), so I don’t know if she would have gotten mailings if she hadn’t signed up for the mailing list. However, as students from all over choose Bama, have a great experience and go back and tell others in their home towns, the OOS applications are bound to keep rising. Even from the northeast.</p>

<p><a href=“60 percent of freshmen out-of-state - The Crimson White”>http://cw.ua.edu/article/2013/11/60-percent-of-freshmen-out-of-state&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;

<p>Referring back to the Crimson White article I linked to above, I’m not sure how this compares to other schools, or how much the budget has increased since the plan to expand the university was launched back in 2004, but I think it’s great that they’re so transparent with all these figures:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>3togo, is your son a possible National Merit Semi-finalist? I know with my first and second sons they received information from Alabama because of their PSAT test scores. Maybe your son did too.</p>

<p>My daughter has started receiving info, too. It is from tests they have taken, I’m pretty sure (she is rising Jr in HS). US pays a lot of money to send 1000s of communications to top students (and, some not-so-top ones as well). They have a large ‘net’, so to speak. Do not be surprised! Enjoy the attention! </p>