Bama or PSU for BSN

Looking for input on Bama or PSU for BSN

But both are tied for 39 for nursing by US News.

PSU is direct admit and lower acceptance rate but 1 year is spent living in Hershey. Bama is not direct admit and requires one summer or extra semester to complete BSN program. Bama has higher NCLEX pass rate and also received merit from Bama but when taking into account the extra semester and extra travel expenses prob about $7k per yr less

She was leaning Bama because everyone seems nicer in the south (lol) and the campus is so pretty. But went to admitted students day at PSU this weekend and met a lot of really nice people she connected with and now she is confused.

Thoughts welcomed/appreciated! :slight_smile:

and their campus is great too (PSU).

Can you talk to a stduent ambassador at each.

I’d be wanting to know about the year away - the pros, cons.

I mean, you’re leaving campus and coming back (unless it’s the last year). Is it hard to re-integrate, etc?

On the flipside, PSU has a dairy - yummy ice cream. Bama doesn’t :slight_smile:

Seriously, I’d try to talk to kids in each program. I’m sure it can be arranged.

Good luck.

If I remember correctly you could spend junior or senior year at Hershey. Luck of the draw. You also might not get a lot clinical time at Hershey. You could be doing clinicals at peripheral sites around Hershey. I also think a car might be necessary.

Direct admit would move it to the top in my book unless the hurdle is very low at Alabama.

I agree people in the south are nicer but Happy Valley isn’t bad either.

Wife’s BF is PSU nursing grad and PSU nursing professor. Both worked at Hershey.

Two fine options so congrats.

Agree with the above…I think having a direct admit is huge plus for PSU.

When considering AL be sure to understand exactly what thresholds must be met to be admitted to nursing.

2 Likes

Yes the year at Hershey is random for either Jr. or Sr. year. They ask for preference but if not enough of an even split between the groups then they put it to a lottery. You can swap with another student if you both wanted the opposite of what the lottery gives you. Hershey is a level 1 trauma center though so it is def good experience wise - just lose a little of the college campus vibe.

The threshold at Bama is doable - there are definitely some other non-direct admit schools that we heard nightmares about, but not to concerned here. They admit 3 times a year into upper level - spring, summer and fall. Spring admit is the only that is low percentage, which is because you need a certain number of credits before you can apply. So it’s kids with a ton of AP, Dual Enrollment credits trying to get in early to avoid the extra semester. My daughter doesn’t have enough credits to try for spring so not an issue. Summer or fall she shouldn’t have any issue with, but def some added stress IMO - she is not stressed about it though and is more than capable. It’s just me that worries because I’m her mom and that’s my job. lol!

4 Likes