BamaBound logistics

My dd will be attending one of the May Honors BamaBound 2 day sessions. Sessions start at 7:45 AM on a weekday. So, obviously, she’ll need to arrive the night before. We’re (far) out of state, so she’ll either be flying in herself to Birmingham, or I could accompany her flying, or the two of us would drive (11 hrs each way).

If she flies in solo, can she check in to the dorm the evening before, or will she need to get a hotel that night? (If I go with her, obviously we’d get a hotel the night before.)

Thanks!!!

Oh, and also, those two May sessions are back to back the same week (Tu-We OR Th-Fr). Is there any advantage to either session?

She can check into the dorms the night before. Last year it was Ridgecrest South. Even if you travel with her, I would let her stay in the dorm while you stay in a hotel. It’s a great experience for the kids.

My husband and son rode Amtrak last year to BamaBound. Arrived the night before and both stayed in the dorms (parents stay in the other tower of Ridgecrest South). That way they didn’t need to rent a car. My DH reported that the dorm was comfortable but very quiet - not much to do as a parent. However, it is definitely a cheap option!

mmom99: If you are part of the Class of 19 Parents FB group, you will probably be able to get together with a group of parents and students the night before…for dinner at the Mellow Mushroom or Dreamland BBQ, etc. Many parents arranged for these get-togethers last summer prior to attending the various BamaBounds. Sometimes parents & students met up the evening before BB…and sometimes the parents met the evening after the first day of BB (most of the students have dinner & rec center activities that first evening…they want to “hang” with their new friends). It was a great way for the students to start meeting people the night before and excellent for us parents…most of us had come in from OOS and knew no one. And these parents are people you will likely continue to “talk with” via FB and CC throughout the year… it’s been a great experience and I am so happy to have met so many wonderful UA parents!

There have been previous threads and posts about staying (as a parent) in the dorm, which I highly recommend reading…and I highly recommend coming with your student and staying in the dorm! There are many tips in those posts to help you. The dorm is completely barren. You are given bare essentials (sheet, 1 blanket, pillow, towel), nothing more. It may be colder than you’re used to (AC). It will give you a good sense of what you need to then pack for your student to live in the dorms. If your D already has roommates, try to coordinate that they attend BB together, and, if you check in together at the same time, they can room together during BB. It is a great way to put faces to names (that you’ve met on FB or CC), and for that reason alone, I think it is well worth the trip for the parent to come. It eases the letting-go later in the summer…;(

Either way, I’d go with a hotel. Paying money to sleep in a twin bed is ridiculous. The kid has all year to stay in a dorm.