Bama's NMF scholarship is still available

<p>I’ve gotten some PMs from people asking if they could apply now and still get the NMF scholarship.</p>

<p>I called Scholarships to make sure, and yes, if the NMF student applies now they can still get the NMF scholarship. They need to name Bama as #1 choice by April. </p>

<p>NMFs can contact <a href=“mailto:scholarships@ua.edu”>scholarships@ua.edu</a> for more info. Make sure you mention that you’re a NMF</p>

<p>That is awesome!!!</p>

<p>Thanks so much, mom2collegekids, for ALL that you do on this forum. You and the other Bama folks (including my fellow parents-of-Bama-Bounds) are the only thing that keeps me on CC.</p>

<p>Thanks for your kind words… </p>

<p>Also, if anyone out there knows of any NMFs that might be interested in applying, let them know that they can still get the big NMF scholarship. </p>

<p>:)</p>

<p>Is the deadline April 1st for naming UA as their first choice?</p>

<p>Not that early… I don’t recall the exact date, but it was like mid month or later. you can email <a href=“mailto:scholarships@ua.edu”>scholarships@ua.edu</a> to ask the exact date.</p>

<p>In a letter from the Office of Undergraduate Admissions dated March 7, 2011 that was received today outlining the details of son’s NMF scholarship award there was this quote:</p>

<p>

</p>

<p>Done.</p>

<p>Since May 1st is a Sunday, the real date might be April 29th. I do think I was told an April date today…likely the 29th.</p>

<p>Has Fairfielder explored this option yet? Is the daughter in question a resident of Alabama?</p>

<p>No, she’s not a state resident. You don’t have to be a state resident to get the scholarship. A large number of Bama’s NMFs are not from the state. </p>

<p>Overall, Bama has about 38% OOS students. I think that number is rising since each freshmen class is increasing its OOS numbers. </p>

<p>Are the numbers out for fall 2010 yet? It should be soon.</p>

<p>I haven’t seen posts from Fairfielder, are they from Fairfield CT or CA?</p>

<p>Fairfielder is from Iowa and she has not posted here. She posted on the financial aid forum. Her child has not applied to 'Bama.</p>

<p>Oh too bad, I thought we were recruiting another Fairfielder, we are up to 4-5 undergrads I think.</p>

<p>Mom, </p>

<p>I believe that the OOS percentage is now up to 43 per cent. So only 57 per cent of the student body is in state.</p>

<p>^So wait. I’m confused. My son has not yet declared a 1st choice college with NMF. We know the NMSC’s deadline is May 31. This thread says Bama’s date is April 1 on the first entry, but then it has an uncontested May 1 date on a later entry. Is it May 1 for sure?? That’s what we’ve been going on all along. Is my son still guaranteed the NMF scholarship if he names his 1st choice by May 1? And after what date does he lose the laptop? (Or has he lost it already?) And is April 1 a Bama deadline for something? Time is FLYING by!!</p>

<p>Thanks so much! :)</p>

<p>*Is my son still guaranteed the NMF scholarship if he names his 1st choice by May 1? And after what date does he lose the laptop? (Or has he lost it already?) And is April 1 a Bama deadline for something? Time is FLYING by!!</p>

<p>*</p>

<p>Scholarships told me that you have to name Bama #1 by May 1st…but, since that is a weekend, you really have to name by the Friday before (April 29).</p>

<p>You haven’t lost the laptop or anything yet. To get the laptop, you have to sign up for Bama Bound by June 1st (I think). </p>

<p>But, you should email <a href=“mailto:scholarships@ua.edu”>scholarships@ua.edu</a> for all final info so you have it in writing.</p>

<p>^Thanks, m2ck! That’s good news. My son already signed up for Bama Bound, and he’ll be sure to designate his 1st choice by May 1. Thanks!:)</p>

<p>Sort of but not really related question: Due to NMF + PACT (for this year at least) I don’t have a need for need-based aid. Do I still have to do the FAFSA?</p>

<p>You don’t have to file a FAFSA for this year unless you were planning on taking out student loans for the upcoming academic year.</p>

<p>Crazy…no one has to do FAFSA to get the NMF or PACT or any other merit scholarship from Bama.</p>