Bama's scholarships & CoE scholarships unchanged for 2011-12 app season

<p>[Scholarships</a> - The College of Engineering - The University of Alabama](<a href=“http://eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/scholarships/]Scholarships”>http://eng.ua.edu/undergraduate/scholarships/)</p>

<p>Scholarships</p>

<p>If you apply for admission and want to also apply for scholarships, you must complete the scholarship portion of the application to be considered for any UA undergraduate scholarship(s). By filing one application, a student will be considered for all College of Engineering scholarships for which she or he is eligible.</p>

<p>College of Engineering Scholarships 2011-2012</p>

<p>The following scholarships are in addition to the University-level scholarships offered.
In-State:</p>

<pre><code>* Students who have a 27-29 ACT or 1210-1320 SAT (math and verbal scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive $1,500 per year for four years.

• Students who have a 30-36 ACT or 1330-1600 SAT (math and verbal scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive $2,500 per year for four years.
    </code></pre>

<p>Out-of-State:</p>

<pre><code>* Students who have a 27-29 ACT or 1210-1320 SAT (math and verbal scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive $1,500 per year for four years.

• Students who have a 30-31 ACT or 1330-1390 SAT (math and verbal scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive a tuition supplement to bring their University-level scholarship offer up to the value of tuition. In addition, they will receive $2,500 per year for four years.
  • Students who have a 32-36 ACT or 1400-1600 SAT (math and verbal scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive $2,500 per year for four years.
    </code></pre>

<p>Students must maintain enrollment in a College of Engineering degree program to receive any College of Engineering scholarship.</p>

<p>The University of Alabama Scholarships 2011-2012</p>

<p>In-State Scholarship Offers</p>

<pre><code>* Students who have a 27 ACT or 1210-1240 SAT (critical reading and mathematics scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive $1,500 per year or $6,000 over four years.

• Students who have a 28-29 ACT or 1250-1320 SAT (critical reading and mathematics scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive $3,500 per year or $14,000 over four years.
  • Students who have a 30-36 ACT or 1330-1600 SAT (critical reading and mathematics scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive in-state tuition for four years.
    </code></pre>

<p>Out-of-State Scholarship Offers</p>

<pre><code>* Students who have a 27 ACT or 1210-1240 SAT (critical reading and mathematics scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive $1,500 per year or $6,000 over four years.

• Students who have a 28-29 ACT or 1250-1320 SAT (critical reading and mathematics scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive $3,500 per year or $14,000 over four years.
  • Students who have a 30-31 ACT or 1330-1390 SAT (critical reading and mathematics scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive two-thirds the cost of tuition for four years.
  • Students who have a 32-36 ACT or 1400-1600 SAT (critical reading and mathematics scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive out-of-state tuition for four years.
    </code></pre>

<p>National Merit and National Achievement Finalists</p>

<p>Students receive the following:</p>

<pre><code>* Value of tuition for four years

• Four years of on-campus housing at regular room rate
  • $1,000 per year University National Merit or National Achievement scholarship for four years
  • One-time allowance of $2,000 for use in summer research or international study
  • Laptop computer
    </code></pre>

<p>The University’s application for admission and scholarships must be completed by December 1.</p>

<p>Contact for College of Engineering scholarships:</p>

<p>Saskia Clayton
Coordinator Engineering Scholarships
(205) 394-7573 or toll-free 800-887-9711</p>

<p>Meetings by appointment only.</p>

<p>For more general information, visit UA Scholarships.
To fill out an application online, visit Application for Admission and Scholarships.</p>

<p>It’s nice to see the hurdles haven’t changed. Now if D could only get that ACT score up one more point. . .</p>

<p>M2CK, do you know when the on-line application becomes available?</p>

<p>Has she tried to take the SAT instead? Some who are strong in Math or English do better on the SAT than the ACT.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>I agree…it’s sometimes easier to get that M+CR score that is needed.</p>

<p>Also…a 1400 M+CR is actually “lower” than a 32 ACT, but both get free tuition.</p>

<p>ACT 32 = 1440 M+CR (yet only a 1400 is needed for Presidential)
ACT 30 = 1360 M+CR (yet only a 1330 is needed for UA Scholar)</p>

<p>I also like that when studying for the SAT, you only have to study 2 sections…it doesn’t matter what you get on the Writing.</p>

<p>I know your pain, Beth’s Mom. My DS scored a 31 on the ACT and a 1390 on CR+M. At least he was consistent in being just below that magic number. Add to that the fact that he got a 209 on the PSAT when the cut-off in our state last year was 209. So, we have anxiety all the way around, but at least the NM is not something we can do anything about at this point. He is proceeding as if he will need to boost the ACT or SAT. Think he will probably just go ahead and take both at the next available test date. </p>

<p>Wish I could get him interested in engineering, but he is dead set on law school. Of course, lots could change between now and then.</p>

<p>Wish I could get him interested in engineering, but he is dead set on law school. Of course, lots could change between now and then.</p>

<p>Oh!!! I just heard that Patent Law is the place to be now for law…and engineering majors are the best for that.</p>

<p>And…to those who need to raise scores…</p>

<p>Sign up for:</p>

<p>Sept and Oct ACT</p>

<p>Oct and Nov SAT…those are the only ones left that will count for those who will be applying this year.</p>

<p>Thanks for the SAT advice. D will try for her 32 in the fall, and if she doesn’t get it in September she can try the SAT. I’ve always thought that the ACT would be D’s best test (and her PSAT scores in Verbal & Math were 64 and 69, which I assume would only be a 1330 equivalent on the SAT), but it can’t hurt to try. Fortunately, the difference between the full and the 2/3 scholarship won’t at all be a deciding factor for her. </p>

<p>My D wouldn’t even consider engineering so I didn’t bother trying to drum up any interest there. She’s planning on a business major (accounting and/or finance). Azcpamom, you can major in anything before law school, although I wouldn’t think engineering is most conducive to the high GPA required.</p>

<p>and her PSAT scores in Verbal & Math were 64 and 69, which I assume would only be a 1330 equivalent on the SAT),</p>

<p>don’t go by that as some guideline. My younger son’s PSAT missed NMF, but his SAT was much, much higher. Older son’s SAT was also much higher. </p>

<p>Don’t wait til you get the ACT score back to sign up for next SAT because that would likely mean only the Nov one would be available at that point.</p>

<p>I should have “bolded” the following because it’s significant.</p>

<p>College of Engineering…</p>

<ul>
<li>Students who have a 30-31 ACT or 1330-1390 SAT (math and verbal scores only) and at least a 3.5 cumulative GPA will receive a tuition supplement to bring their University-level scholarship offer up to the value of tuition. In addition, they will receive $2,500 per year for four years.</li>
</ul>

<p>That is very significant…and…it includes those who are majoring in Computer Science.</p>

<p>For an OOS engineering student, receiving free tuition plus 2500 per year, puts out of pocket expense at about $8k per year (depending on dorm and meal plan choice).</p>

<p>if the kid can do the math and science, having an engineering background would be more than fine for law school.</p>

<p>in fact, my brother in law did ChemE and a masters before going to law school.</p>

<p>Thanks for sharing all of this. My son is not performing well on the English/Reading on the ACT, I think we’ll sign him up for the SAT in the fall. This scholarship program is amazing!!</p>

<p>Thanks for posting this! Hoping it holds for the 2012-13 admissions cycle as D2 is only now a rising junior. Don’t know if she’ll seriously consider UA (she keeps taunting her sister with going to Auburn; where did I go wrong NJBama :wink: ?) but I’m hoping once I get her on campus for a visit focused on her, she’ll see the light.</p>

<p>I was dismayed over the weekend to see that so many other schools (including Auburn) have really slashed their scholarships for high achieving students. I’m wondering how this is going to affect UA in the next cycle. Is there a limit to how many NMF’s & OOS students with over a 32 ACT they can afford?</p>

<p>RobD, we feel the same way!!! Hoping #2 son can get a deal similar to #1 son’s NMF scholarship at Bama. Hope Bama does not drop or change this for 2012-13 admissions cycle. :(</p>

<p>(she keeps taunting her sister with going to Auburn; where did I go wrong NJBama</p>

<p>LOL…my younger son used to say similar things. When he was a soph he would loudly declare, “I’m not going to the same college as my BROTHER!” (I guess he was tired of following in big brother’s footsteps.) </p>

<p>However…after helping with move-in, seeing the campus, and attending a Bama football game, he announced, “I’m going to Bama and I’m not applying anywhere else.” (We still made him apply to 6-7 schools…just in case he changed his mind.)</p>

<p>I think he saw that Bama offered what he wanted, and that since he and his brother would be in different majors, it wouldn’t be like K-12 where everyone asked, "are you XXX’s little brother?)</p>

<p>That said, both boys enjoyed taking an Italian class together this last semester…and younger son has gotten over being XXX’s little brother…even when some of the Bama math and physics profs have asked him.</p>

<p>*I was dismayed over the weekend to see that so many other schools (including Auburn) have really slashed their scholarships for high achieving students. I’m wondering how this is going to affect UA in the next cycle. Is there a limit to how many NMF’s & OOS students with over a 32 ACT they can afford? *</p>

<p>As for Bama continuing to afford…who knows??..It looks like Bama has been affording about 500 frosh per year to attend the school with Presidential (that’s about 10% of the frosh class!)…don’t know the number of UA scholars…and about 140 to accept NMF and NA…but Bama doesn’t discourage NMFs and NAs from applying all the way up to the deadline! And that is a pricey scholarship…about $120k per kid!</p>

<p>Yes, Auburn has REALLY dropped their scholarships. Right now, a student with an ACT 33 only gets a half-tuition scholarship! And Auburn students with a 34-36 only get a 3/4 scholarship. Compare that to Bama…an ACT 32 gets full tuition…and if the student is in the CoE, he gets 2500 more per year!</p>

<p>**Auburn’s scholarships…<a href=“And%20Auburn’s%20NMF%20scholarships%20for%20OOS%20students%20are%20now%20%22competitive%22…so%20not%20every%20one%20will%20get%20one.”>/B</a></p>

<p>Presidential Scholarship
Requires a 34-36 ACT or 1490-1600 SAT score and a minimum 3.5 high school GPA for consideration.
Awarded at $60,000 over four years ($15,000 per year), a $1,000 technology allowance the first fall</p>

<p>semester, and an invitation to participate in the University Honors College</p>

<p>Heritage Scholarship
Requires a 31-33 ACT or 1360-1480 SAT score and a minimum 3.5 high school GPA for consideration.
Awarded at $40,000 over four years ($10,000 per year).</p>

<p>Charter Scholarship
Requires a 29-30 ACT or 1290-1350 SAT score and a minimum 3.5 high school GPA for consideration.
Awarded at $20,000 over four years ($5,000 per year).</p>

<p>So here’s my question; my son will be retaking the ACT/SAT this fall in hopes of reaching the required 30 needed for the OOS full tuition/CoE. Should he wait to apply for admission until after he receives the results or apply before that with his lower score and then send in the higher results later? TIA!</p>

<p>Your son can go ahead and apply in July. He can send better scores later…that is fine. Bama will award him whatever scholarship he EVENTUALLY scores high enough to get. </p>

<p>This is what often happens…</p>

<p>If a student qualifies for the Presidential full tuition, then he gets told about that right away. If a student qualifies for a lower scholarhip, Bama will wait til Dec to announce which scholarship he has been awarded. So, your son will get whatever he should get…even if he applies early.</p>

<p>I should have added to my earlier post about how long Bama will afford these scholarships. Whatever scholarship you have been awarded you are guaranteed that for 4 years (as long as grades are a 3.0). So, even if Bama were to eliminate/change a future scholarship, it doesn’t affect current holders.</p>

<p>^^Thanks so much! You answered all my questions, sounds great!!</p>

<p>Just for clarification…is the $2500 Engg Scholarship in addition to the full tuition scholarship (to go towards Room and Board?) </p>

<p>Either way, what a deal. My son has a 32 ACT so he would qualify for something…though he is pretty much set on attending Michigan Tech (which will likely only give him about $5000 in scholarship). Does Alabama have a good engineering school?</p>

<p>Yes…the Col of Eng’g is in ADDITION to the full scholarship for an ACT 32. So, yes, it can go towards Room and Board. You do have to major in some area of engineering to get that extra 2500…Computer Science is included in the Col of Eng’g, too.</p>

<p>So…your son would get full tuition plus 2500 per year…total value for both scholarships…over $90k.</p>

<p>*though he is pretty much set on attending Michigan Tech (which will likely only give him about $5000 in scholarship). Does Alabama have a good engineering school? *</p>

<p>Oh, gosh, have him visit Bama! He will fall in love!!! </p>

<p>this will give you an idea of how it looks… <a href=“- YouTube”>- YouTube;

<p>MTU’s instate tuition is about $12k per year…so you’re saying that he’ll get less than a half tuition scholarship? </p>

<p>MTU’s and Bama’s engineering schools are similarly ranked…not enough difference to make any kind of difference in education value. </p>

<p>Bama has many co-op, internship, and research opps because the state has many high tech companies present. </p>

<p>Bama also has the benefit of being 50/50 males and females. MTU is heavy male…75/25. Does that matter to your son? </p>

<p>Yes, Bama has a good engineering school…and it is getting better everyday. It has a brand new mega-sized Science and Engineering Complex…</p>

<p>Here’s some info about the new Complex and the other engineering buildings… <a href=“http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1157931-new-aerial-views-phase-3-phase-4-renderings-sec.html[/url]”>http://talk.collegeconfidential.com/university-alabama/1157931-new-aerial-views-phase-3-phase-4-renderings-sec.html&lt;/a&gt;&lt;/p&gt;