Banking for OOS student?

<p>Carcode. There is a Wells Fargo branch 5 min walk from Ridgecrest Dorm.</p>

<p>^^NEVER authorize overdraft protection. She’s old enough to be in college, she’s old enough to install the bank/credit union app on her iphone so she can check her balance prior to ordering that grande latte. :D</p>

<p>DS is using the debit card linked to the BMO account he has had for a few years now, but we also opened accounts (one for him, one for us) at PNC, which has a branch on campus and in our hometown. So if he does need to do any banking in person, he can, and also if he has some kind of financial emergency, perish the thought, we can transfer money to him quickly using PNC.</p>

<p>I didn’t know that the credit unions were connected, that would have worked for us too. But all is Ok with PNC so far.</p>

<p>^^Carcode2001, couldn’t agree more. We told both DD’s that they had to take responsibility and overdrafts were not an option. Helped set up a budget spreadsheet that tied to a check register spreadsheet so they had no excuses for messing up. Both have done a great job staying under budget and solvent.</p>

<p>Teaching good financial habits is a gift we can give to our kids.</p>

<p>Wells Fargo is here in Houston, and in Tuscaloosa, so DD opened a College Account with them</p>

<p>The closest branch is right on the strip.</p>

<p>All her direct deposits from UA happened without a hitch.</p>

<p>The mobile app works great.</p>

<p>Seems like a winner to us.</p>

<p>We’ve kept our DD’s local Chase account. It is linked to our account so we can transfer funds when needed. We are also able to set up auto transfer to move funds every month to keep her on a monthly budget (so she can’t blow her entire savings at once). I also have access to her transactions, so I can chastise her if she starts spending too much or unwisely ;)</p>

<p>She uses her debit card or Bama cash around campus and she just gets cash back when she shops at Publix if she needs cash. Has worked well so far.</p>