Banking in Madison

<p>I'm an out of state student from New York and I currently use Chase. Does anyone know is there's a Chase bank in Madison?</p>

<p>No. </p>

<p>An easy way to check on local banks is to search "madison, wi banks" on Google. I just did and a site with a list of the banks shows up on the first Google page, Yahoo has a site rating them, also. We used Associated Bank for our son years ago because it was convenient in our hometown. Wells Fargo works for those from the west. I don't know if any of the Madison banks are branches of east coast banks- I didn't see any. </p>

<p>Years ago banks couldn't even have branches across town, much less in the same state or cross country. I have heard student complaints about banks; the most important feature for you will be the location of banks and TYME machines (to avoid extra cash machine charges). You could do this when you come to campus, along with the other zillions of things to do and people trying to do the same thing. Remember you will be able to use your Wiscard at the University Bookstore, campus places and the dorms so you will be able to eat, buy books and such. You may be able to use your current bank card to get cash at Union TYME machines without extra bank charges. I do know you can get by without needing to write checks- dorm desks and the Unions may be able to cash OOS checks. One resource to check is the booklet you get at SOAR.</p>

<p>Interesting, hard to believe there's no Chase bank in Madison. </p>

<p>I'm planning on opening an account with a local bank there, because I currently do all my banking through my dad's credit union with his job (great rates). Problem with that is that I have to mail them checks to cash them and their online banking is pretty pitiful.</p>

<p>Actually there are a number of Chase branches in Madison, including a location on the Capitol Square. JP Morgan Chase took over the Bank One locations a few years ago.</p>

<p>That's good news. BTW, why should it be hard to believe that OOS banks don't do business in any given state? There are a lot of state laws banks have to satisfy, more than retailers. There is no reason east coast banks need to be here along with all the local ones- should midwesterners expect all of our regional banks to be available on the east coast? You will find many of these subtle differences when you leave home, no matter where you go to or come from.</p>

<p>Because Chase is one of the biggest banks in the country, overall, especially since they bought out Bank One.</p>

<p>Being large can result from being located on the heavily populated east coast; size is not the same as quality. You got lucky they bought out a bank with Madison branches.</p>

<p>UW Credit Union or Associated. Just do it and don't think twice, even if they are just "eh". I had the same problem and got an account at Associated Bank. It's like, 3 minutes off State Street. The online banking has been helpful.</p>

<p>I have bank of america at home and associated at school. I just have a Checking account with associated so I have no fees or minimum balance. My debit works everywhere and I can use uw credit union or associated atm's free of charge. I have never had any problems.</p>

<p>Another way to go, which is more of a hassle is just use your chase card to buy things and ask for cash back. You can only get like 40 bucks at most places, but that works for some people.</p>

<p>I looked into UW Credit Union and they seemed really good to me. I haven't used them yet though, so who knows. I just finished opening an account.</p>

<p>I just opened up an account with UW-Credit Union. I like it a lot so far. Their online banking is great and they gave me a credit card with a $500 limit after I was denied by a few other banks because of a really overdue library book.</p>

<p>Another vote for UWCU. Been a member for over a decade. Got a great rate for auto loan once after graduated and now use it mainly as a far-away saving (which doesn't charge a fortunate to maintain).</p>

<p>Im a fan of Associated Bank because there are just so many branches throughout Madison; pretty much wherever you are, there will be one within a few blocks. Makes it pretty damn convenient</p>