Banking in tuscaloosa

<p>The age 19 rule is an Alabama law. You could open a Wells Fargo or other bank account in AL and they would require one to be 19. Could they route it through an OOS branch, possibly. </p>

<p>I’m a fan of the Credit Union co-op network since I can go to almost any credit union and use their ATM or go to a teller and not pay a fee. The campus I’m at now primarily uses Wells Fargo, but it turned out that there is a credit union branch right in the student union I can use for free.</p>

<p>I would also suggest that you consider an online bank such as Charles Schwab or one of the many others. The ability to be refunded all ATM fees, get free checks, have no foreign transaction fees, and earn interest is all a plus to me.</p>

<p>Every Walgreens store has a Chase ATM and so no fees there for Chase account holders.</p>

<p>Here are the ATMs that are on the east side of The Ferg</p>

<p>The following Automated Teller Machines (ATMs) are located on the east side of the Ferguson Building outside the theater: Regions, Alabama Credit Union, BBVA Compass, BB&T 24</p>

<p>Every Walgreens store has a Chase ATM and so no fees there for Chase account holders.</p>

<p>I don’t know if that’s true. I just called the Walgreens in T-town by the university and their ATM isn’t a Chase ATM. I wonder if the Walgreens that are in cities/states that have Chase banking are the ones with Chase ATMs.</p>

<p>Mom2 I do believe you are correct, after looking at their website. Chase ATMs in Walgreens must only be in states that Chase has a banking presence. That’s definitely true here in FL. My rising senior D recently opened a Chase account as we thought using Walgreens would allow her free access to her money while at Bama. Well at least she’s linked to my account so I can transfer to her’s.</p>

<p>Some jobs will require that you give them a voided check so that they can do direct deposit of your paycheck, so if you or your child will be seeking work in T-town, be sure to have some checks.</p>

<p>Also…for work…be sure to bring your SSN card with you. </p>

<p>The tutoring center at Bama …CTL…requires tutors to do direct deposit…so need that voided check.</p>

<p>Most financial institutions will also give a letter stating ones account number and their routing number that will suffice for a check. Technically, you wouldn’t even need that as the information is entered on the computer by ones supervisor. The check “requirement” is only because its easier for many people to just give a voided check with the numbers already on it.</p>

<p>if your student has a passport, that will work in place of the SS card and picture ID combo that employers commonly request (you have the right to use any forms of ID listed as acceptable on the relevant form).</p>

<p>The reason that I mentioned Chase or Bank of America for that matter, is that the checking accounts there are absolutely free for college students. You only pay when you order extra checks.
Also, since the student can be 18 instead of 19 (without parent’s linked account) your student can start building a banking credit reference. This will help them on their way to a good credit history.
It is of course a personal decision but since debit cards are accepted in most places, almost any bank will do.</p>

<p>For you Credit Union users, there are several Credit Union Service Centers near Campus. If you go to <a href=“http://www.cuservicecenter.com/CreditUnions[/url]”>www.cuservicecenter.com/CreditUnions</a> you can see if your CU is part of the network ( left side of the home page). If so, it is pretty easy to bank with the branches.</p>

<p>^^^</p>

<p>This might be the link.</p>

<p>[url=&lt;a href=“http://www.creditunion.net/]CUServiceCenter.com[/url”&gt;http://www.creditunion.net/]CUServiceCenter.com[/url</a>]</p>

<p>If you belong to a credit union, you might have privileges at Alabama Credit Union on campus.</p>

<p>Click on your state to see if there’s a participating credit union in your area. If so, then if you have an acct there, you will have banking privileges at Alabama Credit Union and its ATMs…and also at other T-town credit unions that participate in the network.</p>

<p>Banking at these CUs is free. no check charges, no monthly fees, no ATM charges if you use a member ATM, etc.</p>

<p>Wells Fargo might be the right choice since there are in NYC as well very close to UA campus.</p>

<p>Hi and Welcome, are you a new student or parent?</p>