Banking?

<p>I was thinking that S should open an account at the UM credit union, but am having second thoughts. He has savings and checking accounts here, with a debit card, so I am thinking he can: </p>

<p>1) use the debit card for purchases off campus
2) use the Cane Express or debit card for charging things on campus
3) cash a check from his home checking account if he needs cash and doesn't want to use an ATM
4) carry a credit card for emergencies, airline tickets, etc. (He is a signer on one of my cards. It has a low credit limit and no annual fee, and he just reimburses me when things he charges are not things I am paying for.)</p>

<p>Does this sound workable? Is there someplace on campus where students can cash a non-local check?</p>

<p>We are weighing the same options and were trying to decide if we really need a local account. The only thing that worries me is that they are so far away and I want to make sure he can always get cash in an emergency. I think we are going to open a Bank of America checking account. Right now S's accounts are at a different bank here, but there is a B of A near H's office and I know there is a branch across from campus with ATMs on campus. I think I will feel better knowing I can deposit money in his account here and he will have no trouble taking it out there. H and S say I am worrying too much, but will do it to shut me up.;)</p>

<p>Seems to me that in an emergency, you won't worry about an extra ATM charge (to use a B of A ATM on campus, but not a B of A card) so I wonder if another account is worth it. Are B of A student accounts free?</p>

<p>Also, does anyone know about check-cashing on campus?</p>

<p>Just checked the UM booklet we got re: students accounts. The kids can cash a check on campus for a small fee, like 75 cents. Given that, I think we'll stick to our plan of not opening a local account. My guess is S will use his debit card, credit card and cane-express card a lot more than cash. At least that's how we'll start. Which is good - one less thing for S and H to do during move-in!</p>