Banks!

<p>So, I'll be opening a checking account in Madison in addition to the checking and savings accounts I have at my current, local bank. Quickly though, that leads me to my first question. Should I keep my checking and savings accounts at home, or maybe close one of them? In a nutshell, checking is nice because mother can add money to it quickly, savings would be for the summer to prevent me from touching money from summer job.</p>

<p>Anyway! I was wondering what are some good banks in Madtown that have plenty of campus or near campus locations, either for ATM withdrawals or taking the bus to to do actual banking. So far, I can think of two, Associated and UW Credit Union. Does anyone recommend any others? Or how are the services and convenience of those two?</p>

<p>UWCU is very good. They have a location just a few block from campus on State Street and ATMs on campus.</p>

<p>Plus their ATMs charge no fees.</p>

<p>I'm keeping my savings and newly created checking account here in my hometown and will be opening up a checking account at the UW Credit Union very soon.</p>

<p>What makes this setup nice is that I can transfer money easily online between my savings and checking at my hometown, and I can write out checks to deposit money into my UWCU account easily. Also, my parents are able to easily deposit money in my bank account and let me write out checks into my UWCU account easily.</p>

<p>The problem with just using UWCU is if I work at home again, it's a pain to deposit money, and in Madison, many places may or may not accept non-local checks and I woulden't be able to get the perks of a UWCU debit card in Madison either with the ATM's.</p>

<p>Yes, it's very important that you have an acct. you parents can make deposits in for emergencies. I also like the UWCU. They gave me my first car loan with no credit.</p>

<p>So UWCU is actually a good bank? Because I might go with them, then. =]</p>

<p>Yes, UWCU is a fine bank - it's been our bank for about 15 years.</p>

<p>It's not a bank, it's a credit union that is owned by the members. Totally different head.</p>

<p>No reason to close your hometown checking account. Associated Bank works, especially for those who also have it in there hometown. Look at the city of Madison website for banks and their locations.</p>