Bard vs Muhlenberg?

So I was accepted to both Bard and Muhlenberg but am having a hard time picking one. My interests are music and theatre. A school with a strong writing/english program is also a plus.
Bard- I really don’t like the isolation of the location, but the sense I got was that academics were stronger here than at Muhlenberg? Is that accurate? Also the music program seems very strong.
Muhlenberg- I like the location more and they have an incredible theatre program, however I fear that it may not be as much of an intellectually stimulating environment as Bard? Also haven’t heard much about the music dept?

I would love some thoughts/insight- thanks!

You are right, Bard has a VERY strong music program, also very strong English (both the historical study of literature and composition/creative writing) and stronger academics in general. I know the (beautiful but) isolated setting can be a drag, but all other things being equal I’d lean Bard if I were in your position.

Is the money comparable?

I received essentially the same amount of aid from both schools, so money isn’t a factor.
What’s the student body like at Bard? What’s the atmosphere like in general? Also I assume because of its location the campus is pretty secluded from the “outside world” and so there isn’t much to do?

Bard is probably more "intellectual " than Muhlenberg – it is very much a life of the mind kind of place with great theater and music - and has a great English department. I would concur that the academics are probably stronger there. I suspect that you would find the student body a bit “edgier” at Bard. Bard’s campus is indeed lovely, sprawling, and isolated. You can get into NYC, for example, but not without some effort. People do it, however. The nearby town is small and cute. A current student could give you a better sense of entertainment on campus. I recall that our tour guide told us all the dorms had kitchens (to eliminating the safety hazards of illegal in-room cooking) and that dinner parties were popular.

@gardenstategal Do you know anything about Muhlenberg english and music? Or just academic life in general?
I agree about the “edgier” vibe at Bard, but hoping that still exists at Muhlenberg too?

@indecisivelibra , sorry, I don’t know as much about some of the Muhlenberg programs.

You might get better input in the Muhlenberg forum.

Hey! I’m involved in all these depts at Muhlenberg. I can’t speak to Bard, but I think Muhlenberg is definitely very academic. Most of the English & theatre courses are very discussion-based and teachers and peers will always keep challenging you! Everyone is very creative, but the courses are all grounded in scholarship and the liberal arts. Teachers definitely account for students who thrive off of independence, and will always guide their students based on individual interests, strengths & weaknesses, and needs. A highlight is definitely the community which, especially in the arts, is teeming with great collaboration!

My daughter is considering Muhlenberg and she is very high stats, top 1% kind of kid. She got an offer to be in one of their select honor programs so i think there would be likewise kids in those programs. I believe you would find your likewise people.