Barnard Early Decision for Fall 2024 Admission

This is the official thread for those applying ED to Barnard College.

List your unweighted GPA, any SAT /ACT scores, and ECs. What majors are you going into?
Ask your questions, the CC community is here to help!

1 Like

My D24 is working on her Barnard ED application, applying as an Ancient Studies major (part of why she loves Barnard is that they offer this major!). She’s in Latin V, also studying Greek, and has a strong humanities/history/art/religion focus.

4.0 UW GPA, 34 ACT
Editor of school newspaper, Editor of school literary/art magazine, President of largest student club, Honor Council, lots of drama performances, including lead in last years spring play.

She felt very at home at Barnard when she visited. Hoping Barnard will love her back.

1 Like

Are chances better when you ED vs apply through regular decision?

1 Like

Substantially so. While the overall acceptance rate was 8%, the much fewer ED’s make up the majority of the class, thus leaving the many more RDs with drastically lower odds.

Here some numbers I had posted last year.

Hi there - my daughter is applying ED and submitted her materials. She hasn’t received a portal link yet or any way to see if there’s anything missing, financial aid forms needed, etc. When we asked Barnard, they said portal access would be sent to candidates later. I know that’s from the official source but - we’re getting awfully close to the 11/1 deadlines - did anyone else get access? Is this typical? Has anyone gone through this before?
Trying to survive this college application season -
a stressed mom

1 Like

I got the same response from Barnard when I reached out about the same issue. It looks like the portal not being accessible is a universal thing.

1 Like

Hi @3catsforme and @azenaida and @DigitalDad -
I am planning to apply next year and would like to understand ED profiles of candidates applying this cycle for Fall 2024. Can you please share your overall profile with ECs, APs, SAT/ACT and desired major? This would be very helpful for me. Thank you!

1 Like

My daughter was accepted RD, undecided major, back in 2018 & graduated last year - I suspect her stats might not be what you’re seeking?

thank you DigitalDad - based on your current awareness, would you be able to comment on ED acceptances at Barnard and what profiles seem to be? CC doesnt have robust discussions on this topic.

I suspect the “sample rate” is fairly low - thus looking at a few application/outcome anecdotes will probably not really inform you (as in: causing unnecessary anxiety).

With that (big) caveat out of the way - I suspect you already found:
Barnard ED 2024 (a pretty busy thread)
Barnard ED Class of 2027 - #19 by KatsisVi (very few)

Is this where we meet to grind our teeth and wring our hands in anticipation? I’m here for it! Good luck everyone

3 Likes

Hi guys, Barnard is my #1 dream school and theres nothing more I want then to go there. If anyone could chance me it would be great!!

Italian-American female from major city

GPA: 4.02, 4.0W

Classes: (took for 3 years, i reclassed due to family sickness + other factors I go over in my essays- )
ENG - HL Language and Literature -(IB)
HIST - HL Individuals and Societies- (IB)
ART - HL Visual Arts - (IB)
ENVSCI - SL Environmental Systems and Societies - (IB)
LANG - SL Spanish Ab Initio - (IB)
MATH - SL Applications and interpretations - (IB)

Ec:

Intern for Congressman, United States of America,
House of Representatives (1 yr)

Assistant, Volunteer, & Observer(4 yr)
Shadowed doctors and allied health care providers in a busy medical
practice, assisted with basic patient care, patient intake, daily office
workflow

Varsity Basketball, Guard,- Was named a NEPSAC All-Star (2 yr)

Varsity Crew , rower (2 yr)

Varsity Sailing, Sailor, Sailing Major, Instructor, & Volunteer(4 yr)

Volunteer and Fund-Raiser, Africa Service Project
Lead fund-raiser (gave speeches/meetings) for service trip to Africa
installed sustainable stoves and goat sheds, helped in school
construction

Chapter Founder, National Honor Society,
Responsible for starting an NHS chapter at my school, follow-up with staff to
get paperwork and start meetings.

caregiver to my family(mother had breast cancer+ chemo, dad had brain tumor, had to move life to Pittsburgh for to treat it- we came home after )

Certified Life Guard, Swimming Instructor-
Certified summer camp lifeguard, competitive swimmer, now swim
instructor (also held jobs at Chipotle, Legal Seafood, & Wegman’s).

Lifelong Visual Artist, Self-Taught, & RISD(RISD Precollege FAV major)
Hone skills and create art daily. It has been a passion and a constant,
woven into all aspects of my life

recs:

1 from House of Rep Congressman

1 from chief of surgery at the hospital I volunteered at

2 from my fav teachers at school who know my entire story+ did me really well!

1 from college counsellor who I have a rlly good relationship with

I believe I have very strong essays!!

Test optional

• Portfolio with 4 pieces of my greatest artworks

tysm guys sorry its so long!!!

1 Like

Rather than duplicate…

1 Like

Good luck. My daughter also applying ED. We hope it works out, but also considering ED2 NYU. Obviously very different schools, but she loves music and the city.

2 Likes

Same here! Didn’t know NYU had ED2… might be worth looking into!

1 Like