Barnard for $80k/year vs Smith for $40k/year as a junior transfer

I’m a junior transfer choosing between these 2 schools. I’m aiming to work in finance (IB) or economic consulting. I definitely prefer NYC to Northampton, but not sure if the cost is worth it. My parents are paying, no loans. I have an older sister who is finishing her undergrad at Wharton and did her freshman year at Smith before transferring to Penn, so my parents are not big fans of Smith/Northampton (they think it’s in an isolated bubble and has limited opportunities). Since I’ve already completed 2 years at another university, I will be paying for the last 2 years. My sister is likely to be working in NYC when I’m a senior, so I can save on rent there. The Barnard degree will basically cost me ~150k while Smith will cost ~$80k. I believe paying more for Barnard will be worth it if I can land a higher-paying job (finance) with greater ease.

Which is it? If you are paying, how will you do so?

What will you be majoring in at each school? I am curious as to why you applied to Smith as it doesn’t seem your sister and parents are fans of Smith…can you see yourself attending Smith?

If your parents can pay with no loans, and actually prefer Barnard, this seems like a simple decision. Go to Barnard.

1 Like

This analysis, which places Barnard 9th and Smith 23rd, will help you compare the economics departments of these schools: Economics rankings: US Economics Departments at Liberal Arts Colleges | IDEAS/RePEc. This difference is sufficiently large, in my opinion, to suggest that Barnard would make a better match for your academic interests and career goals.

You prefer Barnard, your parents prefer Barnard, and Barnard sounds like it is comfortably affordable to your family so I’d choose Barnard.

Just keep in mind that 'high paying" finance jobs are not at all guaranteed upon graduation.

5 Likes

I currently go to the University of Toronto, for which we’re paying ~$45k/year (USD).

When I said “I will be paying for the last two years” I meant “we” or “my parents”.

I am an Economics major. My sister speaks positively about her time at Smith, but my parents’ perception of a college is driven by its prestige. Barnard students having access to the same faculty, classes, clubs, commencement as Columbia students makes up somewhat for the fact that it’s a small LAC in their eyes, and the accessibility of NYC + the fact that financial services is the biggest industry for its graduates is also a plus for them. Their prime concern is setting their kids up to as successful (read:wealthy) in life as possible. Smith does not have these things going for it, but I do think I would be happy at Smith. I have friends from high school who are there, on similar aid packages, and they are satisfied with their experience so I have little doubt that I would be. I want an intimate environment to learn in and find women’s colleges to be more supportive communities.

I have no doubt of that last point, which is why I specified that I prefer the school that would be able to make it comparatively easier to find a job that justifies dropping this much money on a degree.

1 Like

I would not choose Barnard expecting that it will land you a high paying finance job. Those are never guaranteed. If you choose Barnard go because you prefer the experience you will have there.

In addition, I am not sure living with your sister will be the best (or even a viable) option. I can’t think of many young working professionals who would want to live with a sibling who is still in college. The hours you keep and the experiences you are interested in would likely be different. In addition, Morningside Heights (where Barnard is located and where you likely would want to live) is not a great commute to Wall Street (not sure where your sister will be working).

8 Likes